PDA

View Full Version : Airplane and knitting needles

Duckling326
08-13-2007, 11:04 AM
We're about to fly up to Anchorage and I wanted to know what was safe knitting wise to bring on board?

All of my needles are wooden, I ordered a Clover yarn cutter.

Have you had any problems with your knitting supplies at the airport?

bip
08-13-2007, 11:12 AM
The Clover yarn cutter is prohibited (though I traveled with mine several times before I knew that and never got caught!), but your needles should be fine. You can check your airline website for a list of banned items. Knitting needles are usually specifically mentioned on the "permitted" list.

Amberle
08-13-2007, 11:18 AM
You can also take a self-addressed, stamped envelope (like those padded mailers from USPS) that's big enough for your needles and work. Then, if you can't take them you could run to a post box and send then home to yourself. It would be sad to not get to take your knitting, but at least you wouldn't have to ditch your needles.

You should be fine anyway, as knitting needles are usually allowed; I only suggest this as a caution.

kellycarr05
08-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I flew to N.C. to visit my parents. I just called the airline, and called the security dept. at the aiport. It was O.K. I did bring plastic and I'm sure wood would be fine, but not a cutter. Just call both, and look online for policies. You can print up the policies if it says they allow it and then there will be no questions at the gate.:X:Imagine that long with NO KNITTING!!!!I would go crazy!!

ddincolo
08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
no problem with knitting needles........but, no scissors..........i take nail clippers instead.........works great! i also only take what I am working on......not an entire knitting basket............pack that in your luggage
hope this is helpful

kemp
08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
If you do a search for airplane knitting, there are lots of stories and responses about taking your needles.

Duckling326
08-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks everyone!

Duckling326
08-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Incase others are looking for this information. I googled TSA site and found this.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#11

What's funny is that knitting needles and crochet hooks are considered special need items ha

Robinknits
08-13-2007, 12:39 PM
You can bring small scissors as long as they have rounded tips. I've flown with mine several times.

hunterjenn
08-13-2007, 12:48 PM
I've flown 4 times in the last month, all with my aluminum needles in my carry-on. :thumbsup:

luvmeowers
08-13-2007, 04:10 PM
You can bring pointed scissors as long as the blades are less than four inches in length.

I bring wood, bamboo, Addi circular, and plastic needles along with my entire notions bag which includes needlpoint scissors, crochet hooks, large tapestry needles, stitch holders, and assorted other goodies. I have never had anyone take a second glance.

knit.newbie
08-13-2007, 04:28 PM
well..I learnt knitting on a plan..so I'm pretty sure you're good with you're needles:happydance:

Knit1Drop1
08-13-2007, 04:35 PM
I recently flew from CA to MI. Took aluminum needles on the flight there with no problems - but I took a pair I hated so I could just ditch them if they said no go. (I had my good ones in my checked baggage) On the way home, the security alert was higher so I didn't bother carrying them on board. Supposedly it is up to the descretion of the TSA person you happen to get, whether they are allowed on or not... which I think is bull. Wood or plastic, though, is supposed to always go through OK from what I hear.

That is so weird that the clover thread cutter isn't allowed. Wouldn't it be really, really hard to hurt someone with it?

bip
08-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Apparently if you take the Clover cutter apart, all you have is a circular metal blade. Yikes! Not that any one of us would do that, 'cause then how would we cut our yarn w/o hurting ourselves? And who has time for terrorism/crime when we have to get through our stashes!

Duckling326
08-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Apparently if you take the Clover cutter apart, all you have is a circular metal blade. Yikes! Not that any one of us would do that, 'cause then how would we cut our yarn w/o hurting ourselves? And who has time for terrorism/crime when we have to get through our stashes!

hahaha I totally agree!! So today I got my Clover cutter from Knit Picks, and have decided that I will take a project where I won't be needing to cut the yarn. And like someone else suggested, only in my

ScandaKnitvian
08-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I just got back from vacation this weekend and took my knitting on the plane with me in a tote bag...wooden circulars, crochet hook for correcting any dropped stitches, and a small pair of scissors. I had no problems. We flew United.

Wench
08-13-2007, 10:18 PM
I flew this weekend and took aluminium circulars and a pair of wood, and didn't get a second glance in any of the airports I was in.

Also, I can confirm that pointed scissors with blades 4" or shorter are okay. I got a second look in Boston a couple of months ago, but once they all looked at what their website actually said, I was allowed to take them on the plane.

If someone at the TSA does question you on an item, just remember to be patient and polite - getting rude won't get you anywhere. And give them a chance to figure it out themselves :-P Half the time, I know more about their regulations than they do.

Lady Violet
08-13-2007, 10:22 PM
What's funny is that knitting needles and crochet hooks are considered special need items ha

we already knew we were special, they're just now finally recognizing it! :roflhard:

shuggin
08-13-2007, 10:24 PM
We have flown overseas six or seven times, before and after 9/11, and I wore my cutter on a chain around my neck each trip. No problem. I carried Addi's every time and had no problems. Airlines will not allow ANY kind of scissors, but I have never had a problem with any other knitting supplies. Hope this helps.

myfitness
08-13-2007, 10:51 PM
It all depends on the TSA agent/screener:??. I have to knit and listen to my ipod audiobooks while flying, otherwise I make an awesome impression of a statue for as long as the flight:oo:.

I always bring a small carry on full of sock or lace weight yarn; aka the more complicated the pattern, the more I stay "extremely focused". Since I don't really know what I'm actually going to knit; I usually bring a complete 16" circular set. If I can't knit: I don't fly:wall:.

Anyhoo, I've been stopped before:waah:. Ended up locking up my knitting bag at the airport until our return. Fortunately, I had an audiobook that required alot of focused listening in order to comprehend everything.

Knitters be aware of the possibility of your project and needles being taken away.

Elsie W

Duckling326
08-14-2007, 01:41 AM
Ahh I so hope that nothing gets taken from me.

Guess I'll have to make some socks for the plane ride.

I did call Alaska Airlines and the person that answered didn't see anything wrong with the Clover cutter. My Husband said there is no way of prying it apart.

.....what was I thinking earlier and not finishing my post! Now I can't remember what I was wanting to add.....

callagain
08-14-2007, 07:59 AM
I just flew with bamboo circulars, metal dpns and a very long wood spindle with no problem. I also carry nail clippers for yarn cutting and they are allowed.