PDA

View Full Version : snowflake stiffener...

Stonington
08-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi, I thought I would post this under General knitting as well, I have just completed my first set of snowflakes and want to stiffen them. I have used crystal beads and do not want them to loose their sparkle--does anyone have any suggestions on which stiffening product would be best?
:hug:
Thanks so much!
anne

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-14-2007, 01:17 PM
i have this little spray bottle of stiff n' quick that i picked up at WM in the craft section, white spray bottle (similar to a hair spray bottle with the spritzer nozzle), tan colored label.... i use it when i make thread angels to give as gifts, it doesn't go and dim the silvery part of the thread.....

Stonington
08-14-2007, 03:16 PM
i have this little spray bottle of stiff n' quick that i picked up at WM in the craft section, white spray bottle (similar to a hair spray bottle with the spritzer nozzle), tan colored label.... i use it when i make thread angels to give as gifts, it doesn't go and dim the silvery part of the thread.....

Thanks! :hug: I am heading to AC Moore after work, maybe they carry stiff n' quick there. :cheering: I love the beads, they catch the light perfectly. I would hate to dim them with the stiffener.

anne

Nobones
08-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I use spray starch, you can get it powder form too. If you use the powder, mix it with some water and dab the starch on your snowflake. You can let it dry and if you need it stiffer, re-apply. The good thing about starch is, it doesn't colour you whites and doesn't leave a white stain on your colours.
I have used it to starch some crochet snowflakes, and always use it for my tatting.

Stonington
08-14-2007, 03:54 PM
:heart:I use spray starch, you can get it powder form too. If you use the powder, mix it with some water and dab the starch on your snowflake. You can let it dry and if you need it stiffer, re-apply. The good thing about starch is, it doesn't colour you whites and doesn't leave a white stain on your colours.
I have used it to starch some crochet snowflakes, and always use it for my tatting.

Thanks! I was thinking about you Saturday. We went to a craft show- all Maine crafters. There was a display of tatting-beautiful christmas ornaments, tiny glass balls with a tatted overlay. They were gorgeous! :heart: I really want to try your tutorials soon! Thank you again for your suggestion of spray starch. :hug:

anne