PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Straights

wildflower38
08-14-2007, 04:43 PM
I bought some aluminum straights I think were Boye. The painted finish is peeling off them. :hmm: What's a good brand of straights for me to buy?

dakatzmeow
08-14-2007, 05:54 PM
buy knit picks circs and you'll never go back to straights. :yay:

Wench
08-14-2007, 06:31 PM
If you're dead set on aluminum straights, I've got a pair or two of Susan Bates that have held up well.

Otherwise, if you're in the market for straights that are a little less slick than aluminum, but not as rough as bamboo, I love (love love) Lantern Moon (http://www.lanternmoon.com/landing_needles.asp) needles. I have a couple pair of the rosewood and ebony straights, and I adore them. They are well worth the price!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-14-2007, 06:54 PM
i buy the ones at WM... on the lighter colors the chipping and scratches are less noticeable.... i tried using circulars last night, my carpal tunnel flared up (which means it's going to be interesting!)

AnnaT
08-16-2007, 03:46 AM
I have some Inox aluminum straight needles. Mine are pretty new, but my husband's aunt has some old ones that look fine. They are coated with Teflon so I guess that helps preserve the paint job. They are not expensive, either.

Here are some (but lots of places sell them):
The Local Needle Needles (http://www.localneedle.com/Needles.html)

Note: The larger size needles in Inox tend to be plastic. I have some of these, too, and like them.

mornnen
08-16-2007, 06:43 AM
I am in the minority--I like straight needles. The boyes are nasty that way--mine did the same thing and I contacted them to complain and they sent a new pair.

But my faves are the Susan Bates silvalume. I also have straights in bamboo from Valley Yarns (that's the WEBS [yarn.com] brand and I like them for when I am working with slippery yarn.
What I think would be great is if knitpicks were to make straights in the same material as their circular points.

Mornnen

Limey
08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Honestly, your best bet is to go to e-bay and have a mooch for second-hand Aero or Milward needles.

Couldn't tell you many generations of English (nationality, that is) knitters have used these.

They won't cost much and should last you a lifetime.

All the Best