PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas...

carla25
08-18-2007, 01:31 PM
I would love to knit something "in memory" of my father, but I am having a hard time coming up with ideas. Can anyone help me? Has anyone done this before?
Thanks

cecile77
08-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Was there anything in particular that he loved wearing? Hats, scarves? Maybe you could knit one and then have it on display in the living room or something like that, next a picture of him.

suecq
08-18-2007, 04:00 PM
When my Dad passed I started an afghan in his favorite colors. The afghan seemed to help with my grief and the healing process. When it was done I could not bear to keep it because of the memeories it brought so I donated it to the church. They were going to raffle it, but ended up using it in the nursery.

Knitting_Guy
08-18-2007, 05:28 PM
That can only be answered by someone who knew him.

carla25
08-18-2007, 09:38 PM
an afghan is a great idea

mimi
08-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Why not knit something you enjoy knitting and donate it to charity in his memory? Neonatal clinics are always looking for newborn caps, for example.

Yarnlady
08-19-2007, 08:41 AM
If your dad was a vetran, the VA hospitals are always looking for afghans for elderly vetrans. It'd be a nice way to remember him, as would hats, scarves and mittens for vetrans.

Or find a local men's shelter and donate some warm things in his name.

samm
08-19-2007, 11:23 AM
My first thought was an afghan too. Because affies are like hugs, you can wrap up in it. A donation somewhere in his honour would be lovely! I have a small glass paperweight, crossstitched with a loon, that was to have been my dad's Christmas present, but he died Dec. 24th. It's getting a bit shabby, now, but I treasure it. Hope you make just the "right" thing for you. As Mason said, it is an individual choice, in your dad's memory, and something that means something special to you. samm

AnnaT
08-20-2007, 01:27 AM
My first thought was an afghan too. Because affies are like hugs, you can wrap up in it. A donation somewhere in his honour would be lovely! I have a small glass paperweight, crossstitched with a loon, that was to have been my dad's Christmas present, but he died Dec. 24th. It's getting a bit shabby, now, but I treasure it. Hope you make just the "right" thing for you. As Mason said, it is an individual choice, in your dad's memory, and something that means something special to you. samm

I agree about the afghan. Also, Samm's post made me think of Christmas ornaments, if you celebrate Christmas. Maybe you could make some with meaningful patterns or colors and then honor him every year when you hang them up, at this special time of the year. And they could be passed on as heirlooms.

ready2knit
08-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Carla,

Just think about what would remind you most of your dad. You'll figure out what to knit.

May his memory be eternal.

Jana