PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Besides Me...

SusanMarie1956
08-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Before I started knitting, I would read a lot. So I bought books that looked great and read them later when I had time.

But Now... I love yarn. I can't pass up a a store that JUST MIGHT have yarn. :think: I have plastic Container sold at JoAnn's to store the yarn I buy. I have 6 big plastic containers FILLED... and some of it is in Plastic Bags. :think:

Is this normal??? When I see a yarn that LOOKS GREAT with a GREAT PRICE, I think... I'll use it LATER for something, I just don't know WHAT YET. :X:

Susan

redheadrachel
08-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Nope, it's normal :) I just recently got a stash and I love it! All these other people are talking about stash busting, but I love having it! So yeah, if there's a good deal on yarn, it's hard to pass up. Welcome to the club? :shrug:

:muah:

Indygirl
08-19-2007, 09:54 AM
I think most of us are in the same boat! It is an addiction, but a good one. I have a picture of how I store my stash on here. It is in the 'General Knitting' thread-Where to stash yarn? pg.#5 :woot:It has been said, the one with the most yarn when they die, win's:teehee:
Have a great day.

Ingrid
08-19-2007, 09:56 AM
:whistle:

Indygirl
08-19-2007, 09:59 AM
:whistle:
:chair::roflhard::roflhard: I'm sure of it! You would come in at the top of the list.

tulokyn
08-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Stash is normal. Stash frightens non-knitters.

My boyfriend complains when I get that look in my eyes over the sock yarn, because I've got more than 15 pairs worth of sock yarn sitting around, and have only knit one pair of socks so far (the second and third pairs are hot on the trail though, both on second socks!). He's generally pretty good about my stash though.

Sock yarn does not count as stash. :teehee:

SusanMarie1956
08-19-2007, 01:28 PM
What a RELIEF!!!

Sewing Angel
08-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Its the same for fabric also. I have been sewing since I was 8 so I have had the fabric stash for a long time. Now I've started the yarn stash. Seems like it comes with the territory.
Angel

redheadrachel
08-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Sock yarn does not count as stash. :teehee:

AMEN!!!

booskibabe
08-19-2007, 02:36 PM
I too keep my yarn in totes. Stash is your friend. Embrace it! :rofl:

DQ
08-19-2007, 03:58 PM
When I see a yarn that LOOKS GREAT with a GREAT PRICE, I think... I'll use it LATER for something, I just don't know WHAT YET. :X:

Susan

That sounds familiar... :teehee:

ready2knit
08-19-2007, 04:18 PM
So, am I the only one who doesn't have a stash? :?? It started out as a space issue, but now, I only own yarn that I'm knitting on. I don't think it would be wise for me to start a stash. Impulse buying gets me into trouble.

Jana

SusanMarie1956
08-19-2007, 06:03 PM
DQ,

If you were not in the UK and I in the United States, I think we would have a Great Time shopping!!!

SusanMarie1956
08-19-2007, 06:04 PM
[B]We could help " ready2knit" get her STASH togather! ;-) [B]

Wench
08-19-2007, 07:35 PM
So, am I the only one who doesn't have a stash? :?? It started out as a space issue, but now, I only own yarn that I'm knitting on. I don't think it would be wise for me to start a stash. Impulse buying gets me into trouble.
Nope, not at all! I don't buy yarn unless I already have a project for it. Mostly because I worry that I'll buy only so much yarn, later find a project for it, and then not have enough yarn for the project...

Now, if you want to talk cross-stitch stash... I just added to that this weekend. There was a store going out of business. I now officially have more patterns for cross-stitch than I will be able to finish within forty years. :blush:

dolphie2
08-19-2007, 10:59 PM
I can't pass up a craft store with good sales on wool or cross-stitch. I have my own craft room now and a double wardrobe filled with totes of wool and cross-stitch. I still can't help myself. I am running out of room. Spotlight just had mohair on special for $2 a ball N.Z. instead of $5. I couldn't pass up that bargain. :eyes:

Sandy in N.Z.

Rhea
08-20-2007, 01:29 AM
I have a pretty small stash. Mostly skeins I have planned for a project and plenty of odd-balls of left-over yarn. I use the odd-balles to teach knitting, so they don't just lie around.

So, yeah, I have a stash, but it is always changing because I am always buying yarn for a new project.

I think I would be overwhelmed by a big stash.

ddincolo
08-20-2007, 10:31 AM
YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO NORMAL!!!!!
Even later when you 'forgot' what you bought it is fun to play in your yarns! Hey, that is why they make those huge plastic storage containers you get at TARGET! It is fun to swap and trade yarns with friends too!
a HUGE stash is the sign of a true knitter! Welcome to the clan!

SusanMarie1956
08-20-2007, 11:22 AM
A Lot of the yarn I have in plastic containers are noted as to what I KNOW I want to do with them.

I saw a pretty SOFT yarn on SPECIAL for onlt 1.99 ! Bernat. So I bught about 8 askeins for an afghan for our family room sofa.

I bought yarn for a Buck a skein at Big Lots, The Jewel Box yarn by Caron. Not sure yet what I'll do with it. But it's so pretty.

Now what I WANT is Cashmere. I want scarf that is SO VERY Soft. HAven't found it yet.

Susan

minkoo
08-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't like buying without a pattern. The stuff I have bought just sits there and I find it too much work to find a pattern for it.

I'd rather buy yarn for a pattern that I adore, than buy yarn on a whim and find a pattern I'm not crazy about, just to make something out of it.

juneko74
08-20-2007, 03:01 PM
I bought a lot of yarn for no reason than I just LOVE TEHM ALL!!! My hubby used to ask me, are you buying it because you're making something or is it going to be a part of of yarn collection?
I stop buying yarn because it was too hot - I dislike heat (hot weather especially) everytime I try to knit, the heat the yarn would project on my body made me drop it off of my summer options.
I bead in summer and I knit in winter! which I can say I have and go crazy about buying bead or yarns according to what season I am!!!
Good to hear is not only me! :woot:

juneko74
08-20-2007, 03:01 PM
by mistake i posted twice, how do delete double posting?

sinistral_needler
08-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I thought I had a large stash until I started posting here!!!:zombie:

laikabear
08-22-2007, 04:58 AM
Cmon you guys with Big Stashes know you want to impress the rest of us with pics of your stash!!!

I'm a new knitter and I have a teensy (but growing) stash. I live in L.A. so I've been driving all over checking out the LYS's to find a favorite, and of course you have to buy a couple of things at each store... Muhahaha!

larudden
08-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Oh gosh, I just got a Knitpicks catalog in the mail. You have NO IDEA how hard it is not to buy everything! Last night, while I was looking at it, I was trying real hard not to look enthused because Matt was sitting right here at the computer and HE KNOWS how much yarn I have in this house! Nora, the puglet, also knows because, lately, she's decided that each skein is her own special toy. Not a pretty picture.:tap:

Howevva, it still doesn't keep me from wanting to buy more stuff! I haven't even made socks yet but I want every single color yarn because it's all so pretty.

Good Lord! It's nice to know that I'm in good company.:muah:

GiddyKnitter
08-22-2007, 10:12 AM
I just love my stash I am very protective of it.
I bought new plastic containers last week and lovingly arranged all my yarn in them...They have sealed lids so I can stack them on top of each other...Now I have done this it doesn't look like I have as much so guess what I will have to get more!!!!!!

Indygirl
08-22-2007, 02:48 PM
I have lots of stash. Now I decided I need to have some of the goodies that goes with it. I ordered a swift a few weeks ago. I just recieved my ball winder yesterday. I have about 30 knitting books, so many more I would like to have. I just ordered the "Finishing Techniques for Hand Knitting" by Sharon Brant. It's a great book.

Mamathree
08-22-2007, 02:53 PM
A yarn store is like an ice cream shop. You go in and see all of the colors and choices and it sort of hynotizes you. I go look at yarn and it really improves my mood, particularly on my lunch hour. Makes the afternoon more enjoyable, plus I usually have something to take home with me. Of course knititng magazines have the same effect on me.

SusanMarie1956
08-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Indy Girl!

You'll have to let me know how you like the Ball Winder. At the moment I just do it all by hand. Or by the back of a chair.

You should have told me you wanted that book. Finishing Techniques for Hand Knitting . I have it. I think others are better. ( like Knitting for Dummies. Such clear instructions.)

kbagel
08-22-2007, 03:17 PM
I wish I could have a stash! I just don't have enough room in my apartment. :cry: My boyfriend and I have one clothing closet and one linen closet to share. Needless to say, I have to be very careful and only buy yarn when I have a project to start. Which is why this time of year excites me: I get to start buying yarn for all of those Christmas gifts!

Indygirl
08-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Indy Girl!

You'll have to let me know how you like the Ball Winder. At the moment I just do it all by hand. Or by the back of a chair.

You should have told me you wanted that book. Finishing Techniques for Hand Knitting . I have it. I think others are better. ( like Knitting for Dummies. Such clear instructions.)

Sorry to hear about that book I just got. I already have the dummies book.

PaperGirl
08-25-2007, 03:41 PM
I have ONE great big huge rubbermaid under the desk...

A box of little bits and balls...

A tub of sock yarn...

And the box that sits in the living room by my chair...

ArtLady1981
08-25-2007, 06:19 PM
YUP...BEEN THERE, DONE THAT! :eyes:

It can lead to S.A.B.L.E.

Stash Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy!

....so be careful! :wink: