PDA

View Full Version : FO: My Malabrigo Irish Hiking Scarf! Yum.

ArtLady1981
08-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi y'all! :waving:

Whilst on a week's wilderness vacation (last week)...I knit up an Irish Hiking Scarf using 2 skeins of Malabrigo yarn, color "Simply Taupe". Wonderful to handle and knit! Just divine!

The first skein gave me 31" in length...the total length for both skeins, 60".

However, dumb me :eyes:...even though the two skeins had the same "lot number"...and they LOOKED identical...in the hanks as well as in the wound-up centerpull "cakes"...they WERE NOT the same by a long shot!

After I tied on the 2nd skein and had knit two repeats...I could SEE the difference! BIG DIFFERENCE! The first skein was more muted creams, beiges, tans, and taupes. The second skein had brighter creams and taupier taupes. The scarf was going to look like hideous! Like two separate halves!
So, I frogged back to the "50 yard line" :frog:...and disconnected skein #2.

From there, I rolled up the 31" scarf...used it as a skein #1 (didn't yank it all out and re-wind into a separate ball: pulled out 2 or 3 rows at a time as needed)...and re-knit the entire scarf using SKEIN #1 for rows 1,2,5,6 and SKEIN #2 (the brighter skein) for rows 3,4,7,8.

I tied in the skeins between the 3rd and 4th stitch so that the edge of the scarf would not look wonky.

Anyhoo, whereas the first 31" scarf was done in one day...the re-knit scarf (60") took the better part of 3 days!
Switching skeins every two rows just takes extra time.

I had heard that "kettle dyed" yarns should be knit by alternating two skeins every few rows...but it just didn't dawn on me in time. The two skeins LOOKED identical.

Well, here is the scarf! Done! I will wash it later this week using UNICORN Fiber Wash, specially created for laundering natural fibers. My yarn was "baptized in dust" numerous times as high gusts of wind blew one skein or the other onto the ground! :pout:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2555.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2657.jpg

Jan in CA
08-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Wow..that is gorgeous!:inlove:

jeanius80
08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
beautiful! I'll have to remember to do the same when i knit up my two skeins of peachtree :heart:

Slim
08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Absolutely beautiful! I love the subtle colors of the yarn. I admire all the effort you went to in order to conceal the color differences between the two skeins -- what a pain! But worth it in the end -- it's just beautiful.

Do you intend to block it? I just finished knitting IHS with Reynolds Odyssey, and am undecided as to whether or not to block. I love the thick, scrunchy texture of all the cables, and I don't want to lose any of that. On the other hand, the garter stitch edge doesn't lay entirely flat, so I can't decide . . . What do you think?

ArtLady1981
08-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Absolutely beautiful! I love the subtle colors of the yarn. I admire all the effort you went to in order to conceal the color differences between the two skeins -- what a pain! But worth it in the end -- it's just beautiful.

Do you intend to block it? I just finished knitting IHS with Reynolds Odyssey, and am undecided as to whether or not to block. I love the thick, scrunchy texture of all the cables, and I don't want to lose any of that. On the other hand, the garter stitch edge doesn't lay entirely flat, so I can't decide . . . What do you think?

Hi'ya Slim! :waving: No, I won't actually block it...but I will launder it as I said, using the UNICORN (http://www.unicornfibre.com/) fiber wash specially formulated for natural fibers/yarns.

If it had not blown off onto the ground so many times, and if it was for me...I would not even wash it...

...but since it did get 'baptized in the dust' numerous :eyes:times, and because it is a gift for my DSIL...I will launder it!

momwolf
08-20-2007, 06:55 PM
WOW that is beautiful.To bad about the yarn,all that extra work:waah:

ArtLady1981
08-20-2007, 07:14 PM
WOW that is beautiful.To bad about the yarn,all that extra work:waah:

Hi'ya! :waving: I shoulda known. My BAD. But, when I knit a jacket using similar colors (NORO Transitions) several years ago...similar colorway...I never encountered the problem.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. :pout:

jjminarcik
08-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Beautiful! I LOVE the colors!

Lady Violet
08-20-2007, 09:29 PM
truly gorgeous, as always. :heart:
i've never been a fan of taupe, but seeing how you've knit it up has turned me into a convert. it's all in the pattern (and the yarn, of course! :wink:).

ArtLady1981
08-20-2007, 09:40 PM
truly gorgeous, as always. :heart:
i've never been a fan of taupe, but seeing how you've knit it up has turned me into a convert. it's all in the pattern (and the yarn, of course! :wink:).

Hi Lady Violet! :waving:

I used this "Simply Taupe" in lieu of a basic cream color that is seen on many Irish or Celtic knits. I thought this color would be good for a man's IHS. Not as boring as cream...but neutral enough to be worn with his various topcoats, jackets and suits. He is quite the GQ dresser.

I asked my DH: "Tell me honesty...is this color (the taupe) in anyway "sissy-looking" to you? (My DH is a hunter/logger/cabin builder) He said "By no means. If I wore scarves, I would wear it!"

So, that was my "green light" to go ahead and give it to my DSIL!

Now, I will go in and get it hand-washed and set out to dry!

Weebie
08-20-2007, 09:45 PM
So, I frogged back to the "50 yard line" :frog:...and disconnected skein #2.

:passedout: Holy cow!!! That had to have been rough!

This scarf is gorgeous!!!! You did a fantastic job!!!

ah
08-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Looks great!

ArtLady1981
08-21-2007, 01:11 AM
I washed the IHS tonight, using 3 squirts of UNICORN fiber wash in 2 qts lukewarm water in the sink. WOW! Could not believe all the dirt that came out into the water! Mountain dust! Shees. Then rinsed it in 2 qts lukewarm water with 3 squirts of the UNICORN Rinse! More dirt in the water, so I repeated the rinse process again! BOY OH BOY! The scarf brightened up a lot! It is laying out on the floor on towels to dry. (I don't have kids or cats at home!) UNICORN wash has a hint of lavendar in it, and is all natural and biodegradable. It is really nice. Highly recommend it to anyone who knits with natural fibers. I sound like an AD, don't I? :teehee:

ArtLady1981
08-21-2007, 01:15 AM
:passedout: Holy cow!!! That had to have been rough!

This scarf is gorgeous!!!! You did a fantastic job!!!

Thanks for your compliments Weebie! :waving:

Yes, it was very disappointing...but it would have been major discouraging if the scarf had a "deadline"! As it was, I was on vacation, no pressure...so I took a deep breath...and moved forward.

What is the saying?? "RELAX......RELATE......RELEASE!

KnittingNat
08-21-2007, 05:41 AM
It looks so yummmmyyyyy!!!!! Great job, it's absolutely delicious:woot:

Jaxhil
08-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Oh, wow!!! That is truly beautiful-and I am impressed at the lengths you went to to make it perfect :yay::cheering: There woulda been a whooooole lotta whining if it where me! :mad: LOL! But in the end, worth it!!

I want one too :teehee:

I think it looks great for a man, too-no sissy quotient at all!! The colors are perfect.

Great job!

GardenGirlKnitsToo
08-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Beautiful work, and I am so impressed with the effort you put into fixing the color "problem." I would probably just have continued on and hoped for the best! I'm a lazy knitter at heart, I guess. :shrug:

GinnyG
08-21-2007, 08:24 AM
VERY nice!!

dreamsherl
08-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Beautiful as always. :yay:

pandaca
08-21-2007, 10:56 AM
It's beautiful! And it looks so snuggly.

nonny2t
08-21-2007, 11:23 AM
As usual, your work is just gorgeous!

Samsam
08-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Oh gosh amazing!
You make such pretty things :)

astonh
08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
That is amazingly beautiful! I fear I wouldn't have handled such a yarn issue as well as you. I would have thrown a tantrum... I just KNOW it. LOL.

WTG!

bip
08-21-2007, 12:47 PM
You just never know with yarn colors. Once I did a sweater with two completely different lots of Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk. Now if there was a yarn where dyelot would be critical, you would think this would be it. I was striping at first, but then gave up and you cannot tell the difference anywhere on the sweater. Crazy.

Pat in Ca
08-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Artlady...
I have been looking at this website several times a day , waiting for you to return from the wilderness.. I just knew you would be posting pics of the IHS in Malabrigo..I can't believe you finished it!!! It is sooo GORGEOUS!!! I intend on making one soon with the Milabrago yarn I got from the K2P2 sale, but I think the colors I got may be too dark..(purple mystery, and a dark red.. I wish I had a lighter color..I have had a reversible cable scarf OTN for over a year now because I must really pay attention to every row.. I think I could memorize the IHS pattern which would mean I could work on it more..Thanks for sharing all your pics and tips..
you are truly an inspiration..knitters are the nicest people!

ArtLady1981
08-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Artlady...
I have been looking at this website several times a day , waiting for you to return from the wilderness.. I just knew you would be posting pics of the IHS in Malabrigo..I can't believe you finished it!!! It is sooo GORGEOUS!!! I intend on making one soon with the Milabrago yarn I got from the K2P2 sale, but I think the colors I got may be too dark..(purple mystery, and a dark red.. I wish I had a lighter color..I have had a reversible cable scarf OTN for over a year now because I must really pay attention to every row.. I think I could memorize the IHS pattern which would mean I could work on it more..Thanks for sharing all your pics and tips..
you are truly an inspiration..knitters are the nicest people!

Hi'ya Pat! :waving:

Thanks for your kind words! Much appreciated! :aww:

I think your dark red yarn could make a beautiful IHS!
Here is the reason: the pattern design of the IHS is a BOLD cable pattern. I believe it would show up nicely on the field of red!

Yes, this pattern was so easy to memorize. Right cross cables on every 8th row. No need to count rows on a clicker...you can just tell when a row 8 is presenting itself! And the back of the scarf is a 'resting row'. Easy peasy!

Below is a photo of my BORGHILD for the August Challenge! See how the cables do stand out on the field of dark chocolate? Maybe more subtle than if on a field of white or cream, but they stand out fine!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2545.jpg

ArtLady1981
08-21-2007, 01:52 PM
You just never know with yarn colors. Once I did a sweater with two completely different lots of Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk. Now if there was a yarn where dyelot would be critical, you would think this would be it. I was striping at first, but then gave up and you cannot tell the difference anywhere on the sweater. Crazy.

Hi'ya bip! :waving: That was fortunate for you! I know many yarns have perfect color consistency!

In Feb/Mar I knit an aran afghan using a warm red ROWAN "Polar". I had 2 knit up two full skeins and stopped to take a photo of my progress (to post here at KH)...OH OH :doh: My camera showed me that the two skeins were different! (and THEN I could see the difference, too! One skein was a more heathered red, the other had no heathering so it looked redder) I had to frog the entire thing back! I had forgotten that I had purchased two diff dyelots. It had been in my Stash for a long time. :doh: Fortunately for me...I had enough of one dyelot to make my afgan. Still haven't decided what to do with the other skeins!!!

GiddyKnitter
08-21-2007, 02:28 PM
love the colour looks really good x

Pat in Ca
08-21-2007, 07:40 PM
That cable looks beautiful.. I will definately try the IHS on my dark red malabrigo.. I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks again!
Pat

Lady Violet
08-21-2007, 07:49 PM
:thud: :passedout: :thud:

your BORGHILD is looking amazing! :inlove:
okay, i know you've already posted this, but exactly what yarn are you using for it? i absolutely have to get all her books so i can make me an afghan with that yarn using an assortment of her cables. can you tell i just love cables? :teehee:

ArtLady1981
08-22-2007, 04:57 AM
:thud: :passedout: :thud:

your BORGHILD is looking amazing! :inlove:
okay, i know you've already posted this, but exactly what yarn are you using for it? i absolutely have to get all her books so i can make me an afghan with that yarn using an assortment of her cables. can you tell i just love cables? :teehee:

Hi'ya Lady Violet! :waving:

I am using Louisa Harding's "Grace" for my BORGHILD cabled cardigan. Color#9 "Chocolate".

The pattern is an Elsebeth Lavold design. I didn't use her signature yarn. No reason really. I had the Louisa Harding yarn in my Stash...and the gauge works...and I like the pattern with the yarn itself and the color!

Here is a link to a WEBS yarn page that sells "Grace" for a reasonable price!

http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/1043/3287/?gclid=CO6Vpv_eiI4CFRcIYgodU3u7Dg

KT120
08-22-2007, 12:16 PM
As usual ArtLady your work is fabulous. The amount of time and effort you took shows how loving you are and dedicated to your craft.

I have malabrigo that I'm planning on using for an IHS as well and did not think about the diffrences until you mentioned it. So, if you don't mind explaining how would you knit with two different skeins at once? I'm obviously new at this so unless it involves tying it to the last strand I'm lost.

ArtLady1981
08-22-2007, 02:26 PM
As usual ArtLady your work is fabulous. The amount of time and effort you took shows how loving you are and dedicated to your craft.

I have malabrigo that I'm planning on using for an IHS as well and did not think about the diffrences until you mentioned it. So, if you don't mind explaining how would you knit with two different skeins at once? I'm obviously new at this so unless it involves tying it to the last strand I'm lost.

Hi KT! :waving:

A lot of folks "carry the 'resting' yarn up" on the edges when knitting stripes, etc. However, this creates a messy look...which is ok for garments that will be seamed eventually.

The IHS edges must stay "clean" looking...so...I made my yarn transition at the 4th stitch from the edge.

Here is how the WS transition rows play out:
Knit the first 3 stitches with Skein A...drop A, pick up B...and knit the rest of the row with B
Knit the next row (RS) with B.

Then, the next row is another transition row that plays out like this:
Knit the first 3 stitches with Skein B, drop B, pick up A...and knit the rest of the row with A
Knit the next row with A.

And so forth.

Rows 1,2,5,6: Skein A
Rows 3,4,7,8: Skein B

But, we know that the transition rows are knit with the two skeins: first 3 st with one...remaining st with the other skein.

FYI: put a stitch marker at stitch 5 to remind you to "wrap" A and B so that a hole is not created. To learn this wrap technique, take a look at the directions for intarsia color knitting. With intarsia or colorblock work, whenever you move to another color on the row for colorblock, you need to lay one color across the path of the other, knit as usual...the color that laid across the path of the other gets "tagged into" the knitting, preventing a hole.

With my IHS, I was careful to "tag in" the lame skein on the rs and the ws...whenever I came to the transition location, I performed this "tag".

When knitting with two skeins this way...I was careful to keep the working yarn on my right side, and the resting skein was on my left. After the transition, they changed places.

It does take more time at first, but after a few repeats, you get a rhythm going...and it is faster.

My pencil is showing the 4th stitch, which on the wrong side is the stitch that will be knit using the yarn whose turn it is to be "at work". BTW: that little 'tail' hanging out at about row 2 from cast on is Skein B being put into play the first time. Later on I just wove it in to hide it. I did not tie any knots.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2568.jpg

Skein A on the left is the 31" scarf that was a dud. I didn't rewind it. I just pulled a few rows out as they were needed.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2558.jpg

ArtLady1981
08-22-2007, 06:27 PM
HI AGAIN, KT! :waving:

I found Amy's video clip in the KH knitting help.
Click HERE (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/) to view her "Intarsia" video clip. Scroll down to "how to knit with 2 colors: Intarsia."

She shows how to cross over the two yarns...in her video, she is using two colors...on our Irish Hiking Scarf, we are using two shades of the same color, in essence, two colors as well. The same priniciples apply.

She shows the method about 2 minutes into the 10 minute video...so you won't have to watch the entire thing to see what I was directing you to see.

It is really easy!

Lady Violet
08-22-2007, 07:01 PM
thanks for the yarn link, ArtLady. you're such an enabler, and i don't even have a job yet! :roflhard: after spending who knows how long :drool:, my list has now grown considerably. the good thing is, i have plans for all the yarn i want. (IS that a good thing? :eyes:)

i have officially declared myself you're #1 fan. whenever i look at something you've done, be it 3 rows or a FO, my jaw hits the floor. i aspire to have talents that are as widespread as yours someday. :muah:

ArtLady1981
08-23-2007, 03:34 AM
thanks for the yarn link, ArtLady. you're such an enabler, and i don't even have a job yet! :roflhard: after spending who knows how long :drool:, my list has now grown considerably. the good thing is, i have plans for all the yarn i want. (IS that a good thing? :eyes:)

i have officially declared myself you're #1 fan. whenever i look at something you've done, be it 3 rows or a FO, my jaw hits the floor. i aspire to have talents that are as widespread as yours someday. :muah:

Hi'ya Lady Violet! :waving:

Thank you for the great big HUG! No matter who we are or where we live, a great big HUG feels so good! :hug:

I had a chuckle when I read your signature "math"! Yeah, I guess that would be double for me, too! :teehee:

Thanks again!

Hugs,

Dollyce aka the ArtLady