PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever made placemats?

Jackie M.
08-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Has anyone knitted placemats? If so, do you like/use them? Share pictures!
I'm thinking about knitting placemats, so I'm sure I would want to use 100% cotton, right? I've looked for patterns at knittingpatterncentral.com and they have several, but I think I could find more patterns just using the dishcloth boutique site and make the dishcloth larger.
Jackie

ready2knit
08-20-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm curious to read responces on this. I saw KP had some patterns in their catalog, and I too was thinking about making some placemats. Hopefully people have had a positive experience.

Jana

tilllie
08-21-2007, 12:11 AM
I made some a number of years ago from a kit, probably mary maxim or Herschnerr's. I'm not savvy enough to post pics... we use them on occasion. Hope this helps a bit.

Kamie
08-21-2007, 08:06 PM
I made a set for my Mom, she loves them as a decoration, doesn't allow food on them though.

I've went through all my links and can't find the picture. I do have the pattern copied. I'll see if she will take a picture.

Kamie
08-21-2007, 08:37 PM
OK, here's the picture if you want the pattern PM me since I can't find the link.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/kamie3535/place_mats.jpg

Kels Joy.
08-22-2007, 04:10 PM
i've seen some felted placemats before, and coasters. those were really cute, but they were more modern-style with different swirled colors. i'm sure you could do whatever you wanted with the colors though.

Jackie M.
08-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Kamie, those are VERY pretty! Did you knit with cotton? Seems you would want to use cotton so it would be easier to wash.

cinnamon_girl
08-22-2007, 09:02 PM
I saw some in the KnitPicks catalog or you can check it out online. One set was felted but the other was just knit and I think you could download the pattern free.

http://knitpicks.com/knitting+patterns+for+home_PL300213.html

knitasha
08-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Try dishcloth-type cotton (Sugar and Cream, Peaches & Creme, Lion Cotton, etc.) DOUBLED. Then pick a pattern from a stitch pattern dictionary and knit to size. You'll have thick, sturdy, washable placemats.

If you want to work with two colors, try the ball band dishcloth pattern from Peaches & Creme (it's also in the Mason-Dixon book), or any slip-stitch pattern.

Make swatches first and use them for potholders!