PDA

View Full Version : Any Los Angeles area knitters?

laikabear
08-22-2007, 05:41 AM
I work in South Pasadena and live in L.A. (Echo Park). Anyone around these parts???

If so, what's your fave LYS? There seem to be a zillion and I am slowly visiting them all... :happydance:

laikabear
08-30-2007, 08:40 AM
No one from L.A. or nearby? Really??? :verysad:

Guess I will have to hang around some of the LYS's to make friends. :think:

chellyfish
09-04-2007, 06:24 PM
This is the only message I see from CA! I live in Sun City (in Riverside County) so I'm about 2 hours away from you - where are all our people? :)

Jan in CA
09-04-2007, 07:23 PM
There are several CA people and have been threads here. I'm not sure where they are now. I live in south Orange County. Let's see.. Aello, Pat in ca, Contiknitter Kelly, blueslady..and I know there are a bunch more.

If you want to just find a yarn store in your area go to Google Maps and type in Yarn and your zipcode. It's very cool!

susanc
09-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi Laikabear:

I'm in La Crescenta, which isn't far from So. Pas. or Echo Park for that matter. I love getting over to So. Pas. Have you tried "Abuelita's"? She moved her shop across from "Heirloom" and now is on Mission St. near "Buster's". It's a nice shop with a nice selection of yarns. The shop owner's name is Samantha and is very helpful and friendly. There are other shops around the area too.

I don't "know" any other knitters except for the ones here on KH and Ravelry. It would be nice to get together with other knitters sometimes!

laikabear
09-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Any LA area peeps (you sneaky lurkers!!!) that want to see the Yarn Harlot, she is coming this Saturday, Sept 15 to the LA public library for a reading. FREE! Details on her website... :woohoo:

Jan in CA
09-13-2007, 03:59 PM
I just saw on Ravelry that they are full up. If you don't have reservations you might check first.

thalia326
09-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi there! I just moved to England from Pasadena...shame we didn't find one another sooner!

There are a couple of nice yarn shops in Pasadena. Skein on Walnut is fantastic as is Elegance Yarns at 1039 Green St. The owners of both stores are very helpful and are willing to order nearly anything you can't find. If you find yourself in WeHo, check out The Knit Cafe ( www.knitcafe.com ). That's the place I'd go if I won the lottery :)

If no luck finding a knitting buddy at any of the above mentioned, check out http://www.stitchnbitch.org/snb_groups.htm#ca to find the group nearest you.

Good luck!

Jeneanw
10-03-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm in Cali, but closer to IE. I run a group that meets in the Covina/West Covina are called Knotty Knitters. We meet at KnitWitz in San Dimas and Panera in West Covina. We also meet on occassion at Unraveled in Monrovia.

dcinfo124
10-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm in Anaheim, Orange County. Velona's Needlecraft is a really good place and Rose is so helpful. She taught me how to knit in an hour. The Yarn Lady is another nice store with tons of classes going on everyday.

noejusti
11-13-2007, 03:54 AM
You know, I checked for Southern California knitters about 3 months ago and then gave up because I couldn't find anyone. Anyway, I am living on the West side of L.A., but work in Pasadena. Will likely move closer to Pasadena in the near future. LYS: I have only been to "Skein" in Pasadena, which was nice. I usually go to the west (Santa Monica) to buy my yarn, like Yarns Unlimited (they have yarn to the ceiling!), Stitches from the Heart (nice ladies!), and Wildfiber. I go to Michaels at the Santa Monica Promenade as well.

Well, sorry for the month delay in finding this posting.

Happy Knitting!
V.

laikabear
11-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi! Welcome to my lonely L.A. thread. :teehee:

Since I got on Ravelry I realized there actually are more LA knitters out there than I thought. I think I'm going to try to attend one of the group knitting things from on there, maybe at A Mano or something on the West Side (I do get out there quite a bit). I've never met a real life knitting friend (so far) so I would really like to. :mrgreen:

cholthe22
11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi La-area friends. I live in South LA County (Lakewood) and I found a really nice yarn shop that has classes & knitting workshops. It's called The Yarn Company and its located in Long Beach. The yarn is a little pricey ... but good quality and unique stuff that you would NEVER find at Joanne's, Michaels, or Tall Mouse!

evona
01-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Hey - You're not so lonely. I'm from Northridge. I grew up near Silverlake so not far from Echo Park. I lived near Fountain and Virgil/Hilhurst most of my childhood and remember when the street fest held every summer was just a little tiny fair. How long have you lived inn the Echo Park area?

1knitscarf
03-27-2008, 10:29 PM
No one from L.A. or nearby? Really??? Guess I will have to hang around some of the LYS's to make friends.
I'm in the San Fernando Valley L.A. There's no need to knit alone. Here's how I met knitting bloggers, and gone to knitting groups.

If you're on Ravelry, there's a group called "L.A. Loves Ravelry" where we talk about LYS and LA knitting things. Visit http://www.ravelry.com/groups/la-loves-ravelry and http://www.ravelry.com/groups/so-cal-knitters

You can also join the Yahoo groups of Stitch and B*tch. The emails include fun 'sip and stitch' book signings, knitting group meetings, sales... Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/snblosangeles/ to join.

I went to a fiber festival last summer in Santa Monica with 3 other knitters. On http://www.knittyboard.com people who want to go to a knitting event just PM each other or set up a meeting time at the event and voila.

Have fun chatting with knitters in person.

sunshinemama
03-31-2008, 03:10 AM
Hi all,

Just wanted to drop in to say I'm in Cerritos, CA. I have only been knitting for about 4 1/2 months so I don't know of any yarn places besides the yarn company in Long Beach. I haven't been there but I have heard of it and hopefully will get a chance to eventually check it out.

Lisamg
04-16-2008, 07:37 PM
:knitting: Hi, I'm in Lakewood and take classes at a shop called Stitches in Time. It's in Bellflower. They have very pretty yarns and have drop in classes during the day. I'm currently learning how to make socks using the double sock magic loop method.

marypat
04-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi, I'm in Whittier. Have you been to Liscat? It is in Lakewood. It just moved from 2nd st in Long Beach. I am going there this weekend, maybe I should go to Stitches in Time too? Sound like it is another good LYS. I go to Alamitos Bay Yarn Company and love that store.

auburnchick
07-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Hello California Knitters!

I am spearheading the West Coast Oddball Baby Blanket project (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81361) over in the Charity forum.

Please take a stroll over there and see if it's anything you would be interested in joining.

Don't worry if you're not into big commitments. This is the project for you!

The way it works is that each knitter knits 4" of a baby blanket, usually 90-100 stitches, using worsted or dk (depending on the blanket) weight, acrylic yarn. You can choose the pattern of your choice, keeping within the three stitch garter edging. Then, when you're done, you send the blanket to the next knitter, leaving the stitches on the needles. Everything travels together.

Each blanket takes about six knitters. You get two weeks to complete your portion. I've found it takes me only one evening...sometimes two.

If you'd like to join us, you can either send me a PM, or you can post a note in THIS (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81361) thread. I'll watch for it, send you a request for more information, and then we're set to go.

Come join a worthwhile endeavor. You'll be blessed beyond your wildest imagination.

I look forward to hearing from you!

knittingmichelle
01-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey! I'm new here. I live in Burbank. :) I'd love to meet some local knitters. I'm just a newbie, but I love knitting so much already!

Slosha
02-05-2009, 03:15 AM
I'm about two years late to this thread, but I'm an LA knitter! I went to high school in South Pas and am currently in K-town.

Hi all!

TikiPrincess
02-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Hey all! I live in Alhambra and go to school in La Verne. I've only been to Skein in Pasadena, besides my local JoAnn's. I would actually love to make some knitting friends because I'm kinda new at this knitting stuff. I joined a knitting group on meetup.com, but it went defunct because the organizer closed his yarn shop and no one else took over. Apparently there's another group that meets at CalTech on Wednesday nights, which, unfortunately, is the same time I have class.

couturehousewife
02-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Ladies !!!

I'm in brentwood, west LA. I'm new to knitting and would love a buddy too!

I usually go to Jennifer Knits and Compatto which is in Santa Monica.

I'd love to host a knitting night! Any interested? Seems it would be a drive for most of you!

laikabear
02-13-2009, 05:47 AM
I would like to get together. Can we arrange something where we can all go? I wouldn't mind driving a bit if we could be in a comfortable location. Someone's house or somewhere that has comfortable, ample seating would be nice.

I was going to a group that met at The Coffee Table in Eagle Rock, but the chairs/ tables are really uncomfortable and the place is crowded. I also came to feel that the staff resented our presence since we used the table for a long time but didn't generally eat much.

I live in Pasadena and work in South Pas (moved since the inception of this thread!).

MoniDew
02-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I know that it doesn't really count, but I grew up in the San Fernando Valley. Went to James Monroe High School. Wish I could meet all of you!

evona
02-13-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't remember if I already responded to this post, but I am in L.A. as well - I was born in Hollywood Presbyterian (now Queen of Angels) and lived in the Silverlake/Hollywood area until about 15 - since then I've been all over and now live in Northridge. I work in Brentwood my BF lives in Mid Town (near LACMA and The Grove) and my son's GF lives in Tujunga and I'm often in that neck of the woods as well - oh and I now go to school at Mount St. Mary's near USC. So if anyone wants to meet up in any of those locations for a knit night I'm up for it as long as I'm in that neck of the woods :)

As far as LYS I haven't been to too many really - I really like the people at The Knot Garden in Encino and I really dislike the people in Rather Be Knitting in Encino. I have been wanting to go to Wild Fibre in Santa Monica, but haven't had the time, unfortunately.

TikiPrincess
02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I'll keep my eyes open for a place with squishy armchairs and patient staff. My house doesn't have a whole lot of seating in the living room and my bulldog would probably slober all over everyone's knitting. >.<

couturehousewife
02-16-2009, 01:27 PM
So I would be totally open to having it at my place, i have a dining room table that seats 8 plus a large sectional sofa. I've got floor pillows and the like but not sure how many of you are ok with dining room table chairs. I think they are nice, but i dont sit for hours on them either.

I do like brentwood just off the 405 so it could be convienent. But I also have a little dog....

email me and we can see if it would work out!

couturehousewife@hotmail.com

evona
02-17-2009, 09:22 PM
I work in brentwood. My daughter has school in Santa Monica til late on Mondays, so I would prefer that day. I will IM you Couturewife

evona
02-17-2009, 09:25 PM
I said Mondays but I meant Tuesdays. the holiday this week is throwing my days off :)

couturehousewife
02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
tuesdays can work for me too!

i can do daytime too, as i dont work.

couturehousewife
02-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Hey!

Haven't heard from anyone yet....are we still interested in getting together?!

evona
02-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I am - sorry I was focusing on midterms for a bit.

laikabear
02-26-2009, 03:56 AM
Couture Housewife, your house sounds great! Thanks for offering it up.

I work nights and my nights off are currently (ie for the next couple of months) every Saturday and Sunday, and alternate Fridays/ Mondays. Sooo, any of those days could work, but I can't make Tuesdays. :(

Evona, aren't you also in the Sylvi KAL? :)

evona
02-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Couture Housewife, your house sounds great! Thanks for offering it up.

I work nights and my nights off are currently (ie for the next couple of months) every Saturday and Sunday, and alternate Fridays/ Mondays. Sooo, any of those days could work, but I can't make Tuesdays. :(

Evona, aren't you also in the Sylvi KAL? :)

Yep ! I'm in the Sylvi KAL. Going soooo slooooow because of work and school :teehee: I can do some weekends. I go to school 2 weekends a month so I can come on my off weekends.

laikabear
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
It would be nice to both be working on Sylvi! I am on the Right Front. I can't wait to get to the back!!

evona
03-02-2009, 01:50 PM
It would be nice to both be working on Sylvi! I am on the Right Front. I can't wait to get to the back!!

Dude! I am so far behind you!!! :p

kbagel
03-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I'd love to come by if you guys end up meeting sometime. I just moved to SoCal, Redondo Beach, with my BF from NYC and know no one (except him)! Since I'm still looking for a job, I can pretty much do anytime.

evona
03-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Welcome to So Cal KBagel!! Redondo Beach is a great area. :)

kbagel
03-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks Evona! It's been pretty good so far but I do miss the snow.

evona
03-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks Evona! It's been pretty good so far but I do miss the snow.

I'm a Los Angeles native. I've lived in Northern California before, but I didn't get near the snow that some east coast places get. I am itching to move someplace that at least has changing seasons, but gotta wait til after I'm done with school now.

kbagel
03-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I grew up in Michigan then went to school in Ohio then moved to NYC. This is the first time I haven't had the 4 seasons. Compared to some other places, the NYC area doesn't get near as much snow or near as cold. I think it has something to do with the jet streams and the water currents. That's my pick for a place with all the seasons but not as much snow!