PDA

View Full Version : Crochet Pattern: Illustration or Words?

Nichan
08-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Hi...
i just want to know what type of crochet pattern that you favor...illustration? or words?
I like crochet small stuff...i mean small...flower mostly...i use japanese illustration pattern...never use words pattern before...i have some difficulty with illustration but i really can't imagine if i do it with words pattern...

would you please share your experience to me...

marykz
08-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I like words, with a chart to go with it. the charts (using the standard symbols) are pretty easy once you get the hang of it and to me, it is easier to keep my place.

I don't mind word-only patterns as long as there are a couple clear pictures of the finished piece.

Riss
08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
I've only just recently started reading the illustrated patterns. I've always just read word-only patterns, sometimes with a pictures, sometimes without.

Usually when I'm starting a word pattern, I photocopy it and use a highlighter to mark my place. Sometimes getting lost in the sea of text can be difficult to get out of.

Illustrated patterns are a great way to crochet for visual learners though... It kind of makes you think differently.

I think it's all up to personal preference. If you do one and love it, give the other a try. You never know :)

cftwo
08-23-2007, 02:47 PM
I learned with word patterns and prefer them, since I tend to get lost in pictured patterns.

Phretys
08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I prefer illustrated patterns for more complex patterns in both crochet and knitting. I'm just more visually/spatiallly inclined and prefer seeing a pattern instead of just words. There's a knitted lace pattern I'm working with now that I would have given up on long ago if I depended only on the word instructions.

Word-only instructions are fine for basic patterns, though! :)

Debi

Inis
08-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I prefer the charted patterns. It's far quicker for me to glance at a chart and know instantly where I am.

EssenceRose
08-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I prefer words. It's too easy for me to lose my place when looking at a chart. Even if I highlight it, I still manage to get lost... Once I read something a few times, I can memorize it so I no longer need the pattern. That must be why I prefer the text patterns.