PDA

View Full Version : FO dishcloths for Mom

laikabear
09-01-2007, 07:36 AM
This is actually my first FO besides the practice scarf I used to learn to knit! :woohoo:

Of course I wanted to make something for my Mom! :muah: She is actually pretty hard to gift, but I think she will like these 2 little dish/ face cloths. I ordered some soaps to go with them from Lather (they have a storefront nearby in Pasadena but they are relocating down the street and are closed). Anyway, they make really nice "handmade" type soaps that smell soooo good. I picked lemongrass, passion flower, rose/lavender/tangerine, and rosemary peppermint based on memory. I am going to send 2 of them along with the cloths and keep 2 for the next little gift basket I make, maybe for my grandma...

So the cloths are made with Sugar & Cream. The blue one is in garter stitch and the cream/ multi one is in seed stitch. I far prefer the seed stitch. I couldn't get the outer stitching to look any more professional than that. I guess it is a "personal touch" then... :teehee:

I was a little disappointed that when I washed them (in cold) the pink from the variegated yarn bled a lot. Mostly on one side of the cloth. :?? Oh well. Another personal touch. :rofl:

KnittingNat
09-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Really nice gift! And don't worry, every knitter had his/hers "personal touches".

knitgal
09-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Congratulations! Isn't it satisfying to create something and then give it away? Don't forget to keep some of the dishcloths you make though, I gave away almost all of the dishcloths I made and I've just started making some for me! They do make great gifts though, especially with with a gorgeous bar of soap like you've done!
My first dishcloth was out of the same variegated yarn and I found it bled a lot too, but don't worry, it's over a year old and it still looks good!
Now that you've conquered those two dishcloths, you should try some of the harder ones, look on knitting patterns central http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/dishcloths.php. There are lots suitable for a beginner and they really help you learn new stitches without worrying about messing something up!

dewdrops
09-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Great gift!!:cheering:Affectionate gift!!:heart:Awesome!!:)

Jan in CA
09-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm sure your mom will love it! That's very sweet! I like the overcast stitch around the edge, too.

mornnen
09-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I like your color combination and the stitching around the edges. Great job!

ah
09-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Lovely gift. I'm sure your mom will be thrilled.

StefannyJo
09-02-2007, 09:22 AM
They look great! How did you get that edge? What kind of yarn did you use? The soap touch is nice!

laikabear
09-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I used Sugar & Cream, which is 100% cotton yarn. The edge is just whipstitch around the square.

If you are a beginner, you might like the book the patterns are from... Teach Yourself Visually Knitting. It is full of great info for new knitters.

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Visually-Knitting/dp/0764596403/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-3250618-7674045?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188745900&sr=8-1

Suziblues
09-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Those are so pretty!
If I was your mom, I'd LOVE them.

luv,
sue