PDA

View Full Version : WIP: blanket made out of squares

AnnaT
09-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Here's a WIP I work on from time to time. Right now I'm not working on it because I got bored with it. I have 16 squares finished and plan to make 40 more for a good-size blanket for my husband to use while he's watching sports on TV. I might change that number so he can use it this century.

Looking back now, I would have done it in strips, joining on colors like a striped scarf to cut down on seaming time.

(It's really hard to decide what to make for men!)

ritaw
09-05-2007, 08:12 AM
It is going to look great !

I am sure if you set your mind and time to this project , you will have it done in no time.

Rita :)

GinnyG
09-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Very nice, looks like alot of work! Can't wait to see the FO!

dustinac
09-05-2007, 10:04 AM
It looks very nice...I can't wait to see it when it's finished...:blooby:

Jan in CA
09-05-2007, 04:15 PM
That's going to be beautiful! One thing about squares is they make great take-along knitting because they are small. I agree though they will be a pain to seam.

Men can be hard to knit for. I made my DH a couple hats and he wants a sweater.

ekgheiy
09-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Yes yes - that will be pretty...

Happy Seaming :eyebrow:

Jackie M.
09-05-2007, 08:41 PM
That is going to be beautiful! What a nice idea for getting rid of left over yarn too. What size are the squares?

cinnamon_girl
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Really nice!! In the end it will be worth all your effort!!:cheering:

ArtLady1981
09-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi Anna!:waving: I really like your color and pattern choices!
This will be a work of art!

Now that you mention it...I wish I had knit the vertical squares into "columns" all together, then all's I woulda have had to seam are the "columns"!

I made this for my granddaughter, and my oh my, seaming all those squares! Phew. But what I did was: seamed all the vertical squares into columns...then seamed all the columns.

Your idea (alas, too late for me) is great!

feministmama
09-05-2007, 10:59 PM
How about crochet them together :shrug:

PinkRoses
09-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Getting the squares done is so fun. Putting them all together...not so much so. :teehee: But, it's always worth it in the end.

I've been working on a crochet afghan with tons of squares. You know, the one from the Roseanne show. It's lots of fun 'cause I put it away for awhile and then I get right back into it. It's nice to know that it's not just sitting on the needles.

knitqueen
09-06-2007, 10:32 PM
How about crochet them together :shrug:

I was going to say that too. It is not difficult to learn and would go much quicker once you get the hang of it.

SusanMarie1956
09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Anna,

That is what I did for our son. I started knitting squares, I have some sewn togather. BUt it's only 1/4 of the way done. I just put it aside when I got bored with it. :-) Now I want to start in on it agaion when he tells me what color he wants. ( He's moving, so I need to see what color his new sofa will be.)

Mariblue
09-06-2007, 11:30 PM
That will look really nice when it's all put together! I'd crochet them together too. Much quicker to do, and easy to learn if you don't know how. :thumbsup:

AnnaT
09-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Hi Anna!:waving: I really like your color and pattern choices!
This will be a work of art!

Now that you mention it...I wish I had knit the vertical squares into "columns" all together, then all's I woulda have had to seam are the "columns"!

I made this for my granddaughter, and my oh my, seaming all those squares! Phew. But what I did was: seamed all the vertical squares into columns...then seamed all the columns.

Your idea (alas, too late for me) is great!

Artlady, I remember your blanket! I liked how you interspersed variegated yarn in with the solids, and I loved the strong colors. Mine is much more muted.

And you think knitting it in columns is my idea??? I got it from KH!!! :teehee:

By the way, do you have any WIP photos of Borghild? :flirt:

AnnaT
09-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Re: discussion of crocheting them together

Thanks, everyone, for suggesting that I crochet them together. I was wondering about that. I know how to crochet a border, but not how to join stuff together. What is the name of that technique in crochet? I'll look it up.

And if I decide to do that, what color should I use? Black? Navy blue?

Jackie M., they are 8x8 inches, but need to be blocked. All but the burgundy and dark green are 100% wool so I hope I can get them the same size. The cabled ones really pulled in a lot, but at the time I didn't know they would.

psquidy
09-07-2007, 08:48 AM
I decided a while ago to make a bunch of dishcloths and sew them together to make a blanket. I have yet to do it but a lot of people on here suggested that i make them all in strips instead to avoid seeming. When i finally do get around to doing it i will certainly do it that way. Your blanket is beautiful. If you are looking for more ideas for squares then go to www.knittingpatterncentral.com and go to the dishcloths section. There are some manly ones that your husband may like . Like a Harley Davidson cloth. Check it out!