PDA

View Full Version : Excuses

mwedzi
09-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Update, this pattern will be published! Stay tuned.

Jan in CA
09-13-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but I like the sweater! Why is it a reject? Why are you telling them no? :??

mwedzi
09-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Jan, meaning I submitted this one as a pattern to be published and the editors rejected it. I had to tell my friends, who took the pony picture, "no, this one was not accepted, either."

scout52
09-13-2007, 11:56 PM
I love the sweater!! Did you submit the pattern and get rejected? If so that crazy bc that's better than alot of pay patterns!

Jan in CA
09-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Jan, meaning I submitted this one as a pattern to be published and the editors rejected it. I had to tell my friends, who took the pony picture, "no, this one was not accepted, either."

Well that bites! It's a beautiful sweater!

jeanius80
09-14-2007, 12:41 AM
it's a very pretty sweater..as a knitter, i'd love to knit it... :inlove:
maybe you could sell it through prior vendors :eyebrow: ? or you can offer it free. i'd say do what will make you happy!

nonny2t
09-14-2007, 12:58 AM
It is quite lovely and even though the companies you submit to obviously have no brains in their head, I know we all think it is beautiful and a winner! I would certainly make it for someone.

momwolf
09-14-2007, 02:12 AM
I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE SENDING YOUR PATTERNS TO BUT THEY MUST BE NUTShttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif I love all of the patterns you have done and think they are just gorgeous.

ritaw
09-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Boy they must be crazy . Or they need glasses .

Your pattern is lovely. I would make it .

Slim
09-14-2007, 07:06 AM
It's a gorgeous sweater, and fits you beautifully. Obviously whoever rejected your pattern has no taste whatsoever!

GinnyG
09-14-2007, 07:21 AM
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cannot imagine WHY it would be rejected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say SELL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronda
09-14-2007, 08:39 AM
I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE SENDING YOUR PATTERNS TO BUT THEY MUST BE NUTShttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif I love all of the patterns you have done and think they are just gorgeous.

I have to agree with this one. The stuff you knit is AWESOME. :notworthy:

stirsmommy
09-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Good grief the publisher must have been blind. I say sell it. Then let me know so I can book mark where you sell your stuff. I love the things you post because they look like things I could wear without having to go through the geisha binding for them to look good!

dustinac
09-14-2007, 09:10 AM
That's crazy...I agree with the others... your patterns are wonderful and they should have grabbed that up... I say sell it...I think many many would buy that... great fit and I love the sleeves...:thumbsup:

PurlyGyrl
09-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Well, poop on them! :grrr: Evidently they need glasses, a brain transplant or something. Very lovely sweater--beautiful color and great detailing. :thumbsup:

stagebear
09-14-2007, 11:41 AM
i agree with what everyone else has said. that pattern is stunning

Arielluria
09-14-2007, 12:05 PM
I LOVE the sweater! I'd like the pattern! I don't see why it would be rejected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

astonh
09-14-2007, 12:15 PM
It's a gorgeous sweater, and fits you beautifully. Obviously whoever rejected your pattern has no taste whatsoever!

MAJOR Ditto!!! Beautiful sweater.

KEDEK5
09-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I love this pattern. Please let me know what you decide to do sell or free pattern. Either way I am interested.

knitgal
09-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Considering more than half of the knitting patterns I see out there are hideous, I'm shocked that a company would reject any of your beautiful, wearable patterns. Keep knitting and designing and you'll succeed!

Mariblue
09-14-2007, 02:02 PM
:hug:Don't give up, your sweater is beautiful! I always look forward to seeing your finished objects here on KH, and have always been impressed with your patterns and knitting and crochet skills.

Arielluria
09-14-2007, 02:34 PM
As I said, I LOOOOOOOVE the sweater and WANT it for myself!!!!!!!! I'm busty and this type of sweater would look great on me.........so I'm playing Devil's advocate here.......do you think a busty-er model might be more ........um..........appealing to the ones you submit the pattern to? ;)

P.S.: I don't think so. You are beautiful! I saw your blog too, loved it! Putting link to it on mine!

cecile77
09-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Are you kidding me??? I love that sweater!

iza
09-14-2007, 02:42 PM
:passedout: This sweater is just fabulous... as usual! You are so talented!

I can't believe this pattern was rejected. :noway: Idiots.

becjo
09-14-2007, 03:41 PM
They have to be crazy - this sweater is BEAUTIFUL! The sleeves make it for me - I love that "butterfly" affect. Dont get down on yourself - you do amazing work!

Mulderknitter
09-14-2007, 06:21 PM
First of all, you are drop dead gorgeous yourself as the model:passedout:If only I looked half as good in the things I knit, even a darn scarf:zombie:Second, EVERYTHING you make is awesome. My personal favorite was the "tomato" sweater on your blog, even though you said the colors bled a bit. So I suggest we look on the positive side. this is not another "reject" so you say, but an opportunity for you to flaunt your style and pattern making gorgousness in the "rejectors" faces by offering it free to only KH'ers:flirt:(oh, and don't forget the other "rejects" they need homes too:poke:)

Arielluria
09-14-2007, 06:23 PM
I 2nd that! Think of it as, the more patterns you make to submit, the more you'll have for that book you're going to someday publish and grow filthy rich on!!!!!!!!!!!!
:woot:

mwedzi
09-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks, everyone for the consoling words. :hug: Arielluria, you are too funny. Maybe I should have stuffed my bra :roflhard: . It might have indeed been a good idea, but so much work goes into knitting a sweater (of course you know) that I'm not generally willing to knit one in another size just for a photo shoot of a pattern it's likely no one will want. So I generally knit what I will wear so that if/when it's rejected, at least I can still wear it so my work will have not been for nothing. But yeah, I designed this sweater keeping the idea that women do usually have breasts and so the clothes they wear need not be straight up and down.

It's just that writing up a pattern in multiple sizes is a lot of work. It's not as bad for most hard copy mags as they just want a sketch and a swatch, but online mags may want the entire pattern in advance, so you have to do all of the work w/o knowing whether it will be accepted or not. Even for the hard copy, I prefer to knit the complicated or novel parts to make sure they work out, so I don't get away with just a sketch. Then there are the places that don't even bother to acknowledge you sent them anything at all :hair:

So after a very short affair with it all, I've been kicked to the curb (technically, I was never picked up) and am just accepting it. Obviously what I got is not what they want. I'm tired, is all . . .

misstialouise
09-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Then they're completely nuts and you should sell your patterns yourself.. :D

I LOVE that sweater! It's the perfect shape for me too.. :D

Arielluria
09-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Don't give up girl! You got talent!!!!!!!!!!! :X:

Let the rest of us know where / how/ how much we can get that pattern and you'll soon end up having lots of different models in different sizes sending you pics of your gorgeous pattern!
:woot:

ah
09-15-2007, 01:06 PM
That's a beautiful sweater. Maybe that editor is just looking for something else right now--scarves or socks or something. I wouldn't assume the editor didn't think it was a wonderful sweater.

cecile77
09-15-2007, 04:07 PM
I agree with everyone. You can always sell your patterns individually or compile them into a book. I guarantee you that REAL women can, and will, wear your designs regardless of how these magazine idiots, I mean people, think.

laikabear
09-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Nikki, I agree with everyone who already posted... whoever didn't want the pattern for that top is insane.

I think your stuff is fantastic and I check your blog all the time looking for new posts. :muah:

Annnyway, I think that if you have already done the work to write it up for different sizes, please post it on Swanky Knits with the other pattern so we can buy it! I am not quite "there" yet with my knitting ability but I plan to make Curves as soon as I am!

So girl, wear that sweater around town, soak up some compliments on it (that you will definitely get, bra stuffing or no) and forget about the fashion senseless editor who didn't want your pattern.

AnnaT
09-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I agree with everyone. You can always sell your patterns individually or compile them into a book. I guarantee you that REAL women can, and will, wear your designs regardless of how these magazine idiots, I mean people, think.

This is what I came on here to say. Nikki, you should compile your patterns and write some text (you are also a talented writer with a real flair for humor) and submit the whole thing as a book. Get the Writer's Market and see who accepts craft-oriented books. I'm positive you could have a future as a designer.

MerigoldinWA
09-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Nikki,

Very cool sweater. I wondered if the books, etc. are looking for multiple sizes. I have done enough simple designing to know that writing patterns is hard work and doing multiple sizes so that you really know they all work would be a very big project. It sounds like you have a nice little fan club going here. It sure seems like your designs are things other gals would like to make. Hang in there.

Debkcs
09-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Have to agree with everyone else, your things are beautiful!

Why don't you self publish? Seems you have a ready made market here.

Suziblues
09-16-2007, 02:54 PM
send it to another publisher!
That sweater is gorgeous. Very pretty.
And you designed it?
Girl, you got some talent.
Dont you dare give up!
luv,
sue

italianchildhood
09-16-2007, 07:52 PM
It's a beautiful top! I like it!

giedre11
09-16-2007, 08:40 PM
I say don't give up. Your sweater is gorgeous! You know, I'm not sure how it works exactly, but you could possibly sell it as a download? I love surfing the net and looking at dowloadable patterns. One I bought was straight from a lady's blog. She accepted pay pal and all you would have to do is get a paypal account and people could pay you for the pattern and you could then let them download it from you. Anyway, just a thought!

soobeeoz
09-16-2007, 10:00 PM
I agree with everything the others have said. It's a lovely design, and you look great wearing it. Setting up a Paypal account may be the way to go. Good luck with whatever you decide. :hug:

syndactylus
09-17-2007, 09:48 AM
I love your stuff too.
Those sleeves are sublime.
Maybe you could make more money on your own website than selling it to a magazine? (if that's what you're going for?) Some people charge $6 for a rectangular repeat of a stitch, ... so that would make something by you worth a whole lot. :zombie:

Anyway good luck from me too.

Arielluria
09-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree, just sell them on your blog. With a Paypal account it's easy.

ArtLady1981
09-17-2007, 10:26 PM
IMHO....IT IS GORGEOUS! And, well-knitted! And, well-modeled! And, great color choices!

KUDOS TO YOU KIDDO! YOU ARE WONDERFUL! :thumbsup:

PS: I would definitely knit this one for my DD! She would look adorable in it, as does your model! (you?)

Arielluria
09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I think you should submit it to Vickie Howell and try to get on Knitty Gritty. It's awesome!!!!!!!!!!:woot:

P.S.: When you do, please come back to this post and let us know so we know to watch you ;)

mks22300
09-19-2007, 07:11 PM
I can't believe anyone would reject your pattern, it's beautiful!

Arielluria
09-19-2007, 07:46 PM
You need to submit it to knitty.com! I bet they would publish it!

ArtLady1981
09-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Could you figure out how to make your pattern available to us as a leaflet? Could we mail you a check for the pattern? Is that do-able? Or, could you make the pattern available on a ETSY website, payable using PAYPAL? Or, Ebay?

I would buy your pattern if there was a way to do so.

Arielluria
09-20-2007, 06:30 PM
I just wanted to reiterate that I think the attraction to this sweater is that it should look great on a regular sized woman.....I'm busty and hippy, though not fat (I'm a size 10 with curves).......but most sweaters make me look like a pig.

I always need something with a v or sweetheart neck and not tight around the middle. Your sweater has all these features.
:cheering:

I've said it before, I think you could really go places as a designer! You got talent! Even with no major outlet to "publish" your stuff, you can now do it yourself with the help of sites such as Cafepress.com (http://www.cafepress.com)

bip
09-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I just wanted to reiterate that I think the attraction to this sweater is that it should look great on a regular sized woman.....I'm busty and hippy, though not fat (I'm a size 10 with curves).......but most sweaters make me look like a pig.

I always need something with a v or sweetheart neck and not tight around the middle. Your sweater has all these features.
:cheering:

That was my thought too! Of course it looks good on the designer because she is hot. However, she managed to give it all the features that would help it look good on me too! (not a size 10, more like a 16 at the moment...)

Arielluria
09-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Yeah, you know, if someone's a stick figure with no chest, like the models they use in every catalog you've ever seen.....then clothes fall well on them. For those of us in the real world.......well, if you have a bust, anything cut up high just makes you look like a huge boob..........pun intended ;) so you need that v-neck or scoop-neck line.

And if it hugs the hips........well, let's not go into that! It's just bad all around.

This sweater has got it all. I'm still new at this and I have never bought a pattern, only because most of them are free........but I'd consider buying this one ;)

Abbily
09-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Just wanted to add another "THAT SWEATER IS GORGEOUS!!" It really is beautiful, and you did a wonderful job! I would buy that pattern in a heartbeat!

pandaca
09-21-2007, 03:55 PM
That is gorgeous! I would absolutely buy that pattern from you.

Songbirdy
09-21-2007, 05:55 PM
I agree, it is a beautiful sweater!

And you've got clients waiting :) :) :)

I am in awe of those with designing talent!