PDA

View Full Version : Links to patterns without abbreviations?

tmav113
09-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Greetings! I am looking for web sites that feature patterns written without abbreviations. (Web sites that sell books, etc., written without them would be great too.) Even the names of books written this way would be good. :)

I recently bought a kit at, of all places, TJ Maxx, called the Knit Knack Knitting Kit. It came with 25 patterns on cards that were written without abbrev's, and they are AWESOME. I finally found some patterns I can follow, and I would love to find some more! :)

Jan in CA
09-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I've never heard of patterns without abbreviations. :?? Personally I like them once you get used to them. Makes the pattern less wordy. :shrug:

marykz
09-18-2007, 07:49 PM
A local yarn shop near me has patterns that are written out row by row the exact instructions, but just a few patterns by a few designers.

you can always re-write your abbreviated patterns out longhand for yourself- I've done that with some things until I get the hang of them.

my Mom will write out each lace row repeat on a card, and clip them together, so no rows get forgotten.

re-writing takes attention to detail, but isn't that why we love knitting?

tmav113
09-19-2007, 10:41 AM
That's an excellent idea! I think that I can just type a pattern in Word, and then do a find/replace to replace the abbreviations with the regular words. :)

marykz
09-19-2007, 12:54 PM
great idea!! I bet that would work great!