PDA

View Full Version : Fashion Cable Knit Bag

DHar35
09-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Hello everyone,

I have begun to knit a cable knit bag and don't understand the instructions for row two of the Panel Patern. The first row contains knit and purl stictches as well as T5B. The second row directions say "knit all knit stitches and purl all purl stitches as they appear". Does that mean that when you begin your second row, that what was a knit on row one a purl, or do you just do row one again? Thanks for your help.

efooey
09-18-2007, 07:34 PM
It depends on whether you are using strait needles or cable

if strait: do the opposite, if cable: do the same

I'm assuming it's on strait so I'll explain, when you pull the stitch off the needle you leave a little hump behind you, if you are doing a knit stitch, the "hump" is on the back and with purl, the "hump" is on the front. You want to do the stitches to match so keep the "hump" on the front or back

HTH!
E

DHar35
09-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for your prompt response. I will take a look to see if I understand. I am using both cable and strait needles for this pattern. Has anyone seen the pattern for the purse I am speaking of? It is one of the free patterns picked up at a craft store.

mrslevite
09-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Hello everyone,

I have begun to knit a cable knit bag and don't understand the instructions for row two of the Panel Patern. The first row contains knit and purl stictches as well as T5B. The second row directions say "knit all knit stitches and purl all purl stitches as they appear". Does that mean that when you begin your second row, that what was a knit on row one a purl, or do you just do row one again? Thanks for your help.If I'm not mistaken this means: The knit stitches are the "V" shaped stitches and the purl stitches are the "bumps". (At least that's how I identify them.) When you get the "V"'s on the needle, knit them. When you get to the "bumps" on the needle, purl them. Does that make sense?

And yes, I think what was a knit on one row will appear to be a "bump" on the next row and so you will purl it.

MaleKnitter
09-19-2007, 01:51 AM
some people are confused by this, but I find that this has helped a few people understand the mechanics of knit and purl stitches
WAY back in the past, they used to call purl stitches "reverse stitches" because they are the same as a knit stitch only reversed. So, the back of a purl stitch is a knit stitch and the back of a knit stitch is a purl stitch. Knitting is just a series of interlocking loops, it just depends on if the stitch is pulled through the front or the back of a loop to make a bump(purl) or a V(knit).

When it says to work stitches as they appear, you just work in stockinette for that particular collumn of stitches (knit the V's and purl the bumps)
Understand?
I hope that made it clear.
some people hear that and just go "OOOOH" :thumbsup:
and others look at my like i'm crazy :whoosh:

DHar35
09-19-2007, 11:39 AM
I will let you know- I started over last night, got to the point of starting the pattern again, so hopefully I wil get a chance to check it out tonight. Thanks.

Arielluria
09-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Sounds interesting. Is this a free pattern which you can share a link?

sarabelle777
09-29-2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=25345

...dotty...
10-01-2007, 01:01 AM
This is all good advice, and it is CRUCIAL to be able to recognize your stitches, but recognizing what's a 'bump' and what's a 'v' is kindof hard once the v's get stretched out by cabling ! Just take it slow and steady ! If in doubt, turn the work around and trace back what you did on the previous row and do the opposite.

I just finished the third repeat of the 12 row panels and am making myself do one per night ! This thing will work your forearms ! And I think I'm going to add one more repeat on top of the six they ask for.........it seems to be coming out much too wide for how short 3 repeats per side gets ya'.

I just started another thread about this bag, because I couldn't find anything in about it in a search for 'knitted cable purse'. Guess that's because it's called a bag, not a purse ! :wink:

Mayday
10-01-2007, 08:35 AM
dotty~ I just wrote to you on the other thread about this bag. check it out!:p

Dhar35~ Did you finish this one?

Mayday

Arielluria
10-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Loooooove that cable bag! Only, I might would like it with different handles.

What's the link to the other thread? I want to see the finished product.

momwolf
10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
You are making this much harder then it is .They write it like that so they don't have to write to many directions.So when it says k the k & purl the purl, when you start a row if it is a purl st you are looking at then purl it,if the next st is a purl,purl it.If the next st is a knit,knit it and thats all there is to it.The purl sts have like a loose around its neck,thats how I learned it from my grandma.So I always thought of a hang-mans -loose.

Mayday
10-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Arielluria~Hi! I agree about the handles. I was thinking about making mini versions of this where i put in straight handles like a little clutch!

mayday

...dotty...
10-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Loooooove that cable bag! Only, I might would like it with different handles.

What's the link to the other thread? I want to see the finished product.

Sorry, I haven't finished mine yet........took a few days break from it.
Here's my thread, though.......
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=66868

DHar35
10-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Hello,
I have not finished this project yet, HOWEVER, I am well on the way. I have done a lot of "rip it"s to get the braid right, but I am on the last pattern of 6-, I agree that you have to do a pattern to get to that "I get it" part. Needless to say this has been a challenge. The pattern on Michael's website is more user friendly than the free sheet at the store. Did you put a lining in yours? Also interested in ideas for other choices of yarn and colors. Now that I "got it" I am thinking of maybe making a couple for Christmas presents. Thanks for all your help and advice. I think I may have given up without it.

Mayday
10-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Arielluria~Sorry, I forgot to post the link so you can see my finished bag. Here ya go.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=65861

DHar35~Here is a link to knit bags you can BUY for $125:roflhard:. But it may give you some good ideas about color choices.

http://www.margaretnicole.com/clutches/index.htm

DHar35
10-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the link- they are very pretty-

MaleKnitter
10-07-2007, 07:46 PM
I have those handles, but i was going to use them on another bag... hmm I might want to make this bag and it would be nice to have everything that i need to make it... but i really dont know if i like those handles. perhaps i will post a thread about it... has anyone made this bag using a different handle? would it look good?

Mirl56
10-08-2007, 07:08 AM
I think as long as you use a round or oval handle, it will look good. I'm not so sure about any other handle style.

Why don't you finish the knitting and then take it to the store with you. Then you can hold the handles up to it and get an idea of how it will look.

ladyjessica
10-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I also picked up that pattern, but I haven't started it yet. Please let me know what you think of it. The bag is so beautiful, but when I initially saw the pattern I found some things a litle confusing, too. Good luck! :waving:

DonnaS
10-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I"m making this exact bag butusing 2 colors of yarn... a tan and an aran. It is really confusing starting out but it does get easier, the pattern is pretty strange the way it's written, but yes.. every even row you knit every knit st and purl every purl. It works up lovely.. I can't wait to make another in solid color.. probably a lovely dark blue :D :woohoo:

akilcoyne
10-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi Ladies-

I am new to knitting and have this pattern. I feel a little overwhelmed in getting started.

I think the most confusing part for me is determining if this bag is knitted in one piece. The use of panel makes me feel like it should be in 2 parts and then assembled. Does that make sense?

Any translation of the pattern to simplify it for a newbie like me would be greatly appreciated!!

Mayday- beautiful bag!!

Amy:knitting:

DHar35
10-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Yeah!! I am pleased to report I finished the cable knit bag. Thanks for the web page for other ideas as to colors etc. Do any of you have the pattern or know where I can get it for the tote that is on the margaretnicole.com website. My granddaughter likes that one and I would like to make it for her for Christmas. I am currently knitting the Martha Stewart Shaw. Anybody else doing that?

Mayday
10-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Yay Dhar35 for finishing! I bet it looks great!

alilcoyne~yeah, it's all one piece. Before I finished the seaming, it looked like one big rectangle.

Donnas.~I bett itt is really pretty witth 2 colors!

I wanna see some pics!:happydance:

mayday

akilcoyne
10-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Ok I have more questions with regards to the pattern.
Do I start the bag with the section that says Bag in the directions.
In the bag directions when they say to work with the bigger needles and 2 strands of yarn- How do I increase to 2 strands of yarn?

I guess I am just really confused on what the panel instructions are for.

justyedith
06-02-2011, 04:12 AM
I start to knit this as well. Can I ask you some problm. does the panel pat means the handle part? I knitted it, the pattern looks like 2X. as for the bag part, how to start with?
Bag
"With smaller needles and 1 strand of yarn, cast on 79 sts. Beg with a knit row, work 14 rows in stocking st."
and also there's another way by doing with larget needles.1st row: (RS). *Work 1st row of Panel Pat A. **C5F. K3. Rep from * once, then from * to ** once.
so how to do this part???
and does the larger needles means 6.5mm, smaller means 5.5mm?
it would be great favor if you can help me, because I really like this bag. Thank you so much~~~

salmonmac
06-02-2011, 05:24 AM
It's a very good looking bag.
Panel A is part of the bag itself.
You start at step 18 with one strand of yarn and 5.5mm needles, cast on 79sts, and knit in stocking st (k one row, purl one row) for 14 rows. Then change to 6.5mm needles and add in a second strand of yarn so that you're knitting with 2 strands of yarn. For the first row work:
row 1 of Panel A, C5F, K3, row 1 of Panel A, C5F K3, row 1 of Panel A
This sets up the placement of Panel A and the cables. Then you'll just follow the steps and the directions for Panel A and cables.

knitcindy
06-10-2011, 02:50 PM
I would like to make this bag too! To those who've already finished it -- did you find that it needed some kind of lining inside?? (so nothing will fall out) If so, did you sew a fabric lining or a knitted one??

Any tips/hints for this would be VERY helfpul!!
Thanks, knitcindy