PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Entrelac wrap

nuknitter
09-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm back after a looong hiatus of a few months - I can't even remember the last time I posted, and I sure have missed y'all. I've been just a leeetle bit swamped, what with job hunting/interviewing/accepting/packing/moving out, all while working full-time on the road.

It ain't over yet, but I was jonesing to knit to calm my fretful nerves (see above). While I was travelin' f/NC and in LA, my very good friend V took me to a yarn store in Long Beach where I got the pattern below, designed by one of the store employees.

Nice variation of the Lady E! 12 inches down, 60 more to go. Thank goodness I'm enjoying the process. Thanks to a friendly person at the LYS, I learned entrelac AND backwards knitting. Now, does anyone know how to do backwards seed stitch?? ;)

Seriously. :shrug:

suzeeq
09-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Is that knit in garter stitch on some of the blocks, or moss st? It looks textured. The colors are great!

callmesusan
09-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Nuknitter, it's beautiful! I love the colorway and the texture created in the modified entrelac. I be looking for the FO!

MrsDavis3
09-23-2007, 09:08 PM
simply gorgeous

rebecca
09-23-2007, 09:11 PM
STUNNING!!

nuknitter
09-23-2007, 09:22 PM
I am AGAIN reminded of why I love this forum - being able to present a work that y'all totally get. Love it!! Thank y'all!! :muah:

Details: (this is the only pattern EVER that I've knit and am going by the book - using the prescribed yarns, no mods to the pattern/size, etc.)

Yarns: Lamb's Pride Worsted, Prairie Fire, Noro Silk Garden "Reds"

Yes, the entrelac is done with the alternating seed stitch (k1p1, etc.) on one row of diamonds, and stockinette in the other.

I honestly canNOT wait to see how this looks finished - the sample in the store totally sold me. And this has me also searching out other yarns/colorways that would be much softer next to the skin (helloooo alpaca/silk) - maybe in a teal next time?? ;)

Duckling326
09-23-2007, 10:57 PM
It's beautiful! I will have to try seed stitch on my next entrelac scarf!!!

KnittingNat
09-24-2007, 03:31 AM
That's gorgeous!

nonny2t
09-24-2007, 06:01 AM
Very, very pretty!

LeslieRR
09-24-2007, 08:23 AM
That's absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see the finished wrap. The colours are gorgeous.

Mockle
09-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Oh this is beautiful, I cannot stop looking at it. I so love the yarns that you have used.:heart:

Kaydee
09-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Wow, its beautiful!:heart:

dustinac
09-24-2007, 09:06 AM
very pretty and love the seed stitch :happydance:

ElenTikvah
09-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Now, does anyone know how to do backwards seed stitch?? ;)

Seriously. :shrug:

Well, I don't know how to do either, but looking online, I found a page (http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/backwards.html) that illustrates how to knit and purl backwards...so using both alternately, wouldn't that be seed stitch backwards?

Just a thought...

~Tik

PurlyGyrl
09-24-2007, 10:13 AM
:thumbsup:Oh, that's pretty! :inlove: Great job

nuknitter
09-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the props!! :hug: I'm trying not to run outta steam on this one - it's actually my "Hope" wrap. I call it my Berkeley Dreamer - I knit and dream about my new life in the East Bay of CA, and all the things I want to achieve there. First thing came true, w/the new job ;) Wish me luck on the rest...

ElenTikvah, you ROCK!! That site is actually an improvement on what I was doing for knitting backwards, and yeah, that purling backwards will totally help. I'll totally use it. Unfortunately my ol' Mac won't be able to read those videos (Windows Media), but I'll soon have a new one that will, yaHOOOO!! :cheering:

MerigoldinWA
09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Beautiful wrap, love the colors. :woot:

Here is a link to how to knit and purl backwards (http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/backwards.html). I guess to do the seed stitch you would just alternate these stitches. :shrug: Haven't tried it, but seems logical. :)

I didn't see the other post above.

nuknitter
09-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Beautiful wrap, love the colors. :woot:

Here is a link to how to knit and purl backwards (http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/backwards.html). I guess to do the seed stitch you would just alternate these stitches. :shrug: Haven't tried it, but seems logical. :)

I didn't see the other post above.
Whoops! Haven't checked in a while, but looks like you (Merigold - great name, BTW) and Tik were exactly on the same track.

THAT is why I come to KH - for the friendliest, supportivest help around ;)

I'm going to try backwards seed stitch this weekend in a spare moment, 'cause I'm visiting a bud w/a PC (vs. Mac) - I can see the videos, YEAAA!! Those nearby might want to back away - it'll be a bit like being novice knitter again...

sue in canada
09-28-2007, 10:49 PM
That will be absolutely stunning when completed. Keep up the great work.

AnotherBecca
09-28-2007, 10:52 PM
It's beautiful! Love the different textures!

ah
09-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Wow, that is stunning! I can't wait to see it finished.

Mulderknitter
09-29-2007, 06:00 PM
That is an absolutely gorgeous color combination!:yay:You've made me add entrelac to my ever longer list of things to learn!:knitting:

The.Knitter
09-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Beautiful and such a nice job too! You are going to have a family heirloom when you are finished I think! Keep up the good work.

dawnk777
09-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Gorgeous! I can't wait to see it finished, either! As putzy as seed stitch is to knit, I love how it looks, so I do make stuff with it! I love seed stitch borders on dishcloths.

Mama Bear
09-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Wow, Great job! Looks lovely.

Best wishes on the move! Berkely huh?

Wow... I actually spent a day there at a demonstration MANY MANY years ago! On my honeymoon no less. Of course everyone thought I was SO commited to the cause to be there on my honeymoon, truth was... our waterpump went out and our best man agreed to help my husband fix it if I went in his place with his girlfriend to the demonstration :roflhard:

Mama Bear

pandaca
10-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Absolutely beautiful. Love the colors!