PDA

View Full Version : FO: Speed Stix 6 Hour Afghan

spectorkitty
09-24-2007, 07:54 PM
I believe it took me longer than 6 hours. I'm kind of a slow knitter, and in between I worked on a couple other projects. I did not add the fringe because frankly, I don't like fringe, plus I've heard homespun unravels easily.

The speed stix were weird but it worked! i think it looks nice, it's for my grandma.

http://www.greenmountainaccess.net/%7Eblackmetal/images/afghan.jpg

newwooley
09-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Good job! I thought about buying the speed stix but after looking at them, I decided they were really too big for me to work with so I've resolved to using smaller needles for any afghan I decide to knit.

It will make a wonderful gift! Thanks for sharing.:yay::yay:

spectorkitty
09-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks!

Those speed stix were awkward as heck to work with! Like knitting with broom handles or something. But it did the job, I never would of finished an afghan in that short of a time on small needles.

Even though I went back to work on a project that I'm using size 10 1/2 needles and cascade 220 Quattro for, and it was like knitting with toothpicks and dental floss after those huge needles and four strands of homespun!

Knitter78
09-24-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm new to the board, but I just happened to come across your post. I am just now starting to knit one of those fast finish throws myself, and I am wondering what colors did you use for yours? It is absolutely beautiful!

Jan in CA
09-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Six hours? Or even a little more.. :passedout:

Very nice!

spectorkitty
09-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks everyone!

Knitter78, I used Tudor, Fuchsia and Deco.

WandaT
09-25-2007, 08:22 AM
It turned out beautiful! The speed stix are a bugger to work with, but you sure can finish a nice gift in record time with them!

dustinac
09-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Great job!! :happydance:

I have the speed stix but haven't made anything with them...I wondered if they would hurt my hands after awhile :teehee:

MerigoldinWA
09-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Lovely colors! It's amazing you could make that much fabric in so short a time, no matter what size the needles. Your grandma is going to be warm!

Marni
09-25-2007, 12:53 PM
:rofl: .... like broomstick handles. Looks great! So this is just 4 strands held together and regular old stockinette stitch? 6 hours huh.

(---> Marni checks out her broom closet)

spectorkitty
09-25-2007, 12:56 PM
yes, 4 strands held together, and stockinette. It was awkward but you get a rhythm going after awhile. But 34 stitches of four strand homespun is a terror to keep on those speed stix. It's very squished up. But I would do it again, for the quickness and ease of it. Plus I think it really does a nice job.

mwedzi
10-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Cool! 6 hours, wow. I keep saying I'm going to crochet an afghan cuz I need another, but maybe I could knit one. I might go down to a tiny size 17 or something and two strands of heavy worsted. How much yarn did you need?

jberry16
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
what are your finished demensions, roughly? I'm thinking of making one for my fil, but he's a big guy and I want to make sure it'd fit over him.

spectorkitty
10-01-2007, 01:11 PM
mwedzi, I used 8 skeins of Homespun. Well not all of it, I do have a little leftover.

jberry16, I'm not sure, I can measure it when I get home tonight. We had a guest who is at least 6 ft and he used it as a blanket to cover up. It really is more like a snuggle blanket though.

WandaT
10-01-2007, 03:50 PM
I was looking around this morning and discovered that www.stitchdiva.com has the size 35's & 50's on a circular!! They have them 24" and 32" long ... They aren't cheap, but if you were going to use them a lot, it would be worth the investment. Certainly much easier to work with than the straight needles and would give your stitches much more room. I don't have any plans right now to make any more of these afghans, but I will definitely keep this in mind when I do. Just thought I'd pass this along.

PurlyGyrl
10-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Beautiful job!! :thumbsup: Grandma will love it! I have the speed stix too and like you said the first thing I thought of was broom handles--good minds think alike:teehee:

jberry16
10-01-2007, 06:31 PM
spectorkitty: would you do it again? anything you'd change on the pattern?
contemplating doing this for my fil for Christmast.

MaleKnitter
10-01-2007, 07:03 PM
That's nice, I heard that it is quite a work-out when you use those big needles... are your arms tired?
But it looks pretty and it's nice to have quick results. Also, with the cold weather coming up you will be glad to have a soft, warm afghan.
Try making a sock with size 2 needles now. THAT will feel strange

So you used homespun yarn? I am making a sweater/duster out of that for my stepmother... does it really unravel easily? I want to make a very durable sweater/duster (She wore her storebought one until it absolutely fell apart), but if homespun unravels then i will frog it and start with another yarn (i am only 12 rows in, so if i frog then NOW would be the time)

spectorkitty
10-01-2007, 07:29 PM
maleknitter, well the ends did unravel, that is one reason I didn't add the fringe. There are some posts on this site about homespun, I bet if you did a search you could find them. I found it easy to work with though. I haven't found any problem with the knit part, just the ends that unraveled.

jberry16, yes I'd do it again, in fact I plan on making two more of them for Christmas presents. Nothing at all against homespun but I thought of using something like the wool ease thick and quick for one and homespun for the other. By the way I just measured and it is 6 ft 4 inches long and 2 1/2 feet wide. You can't get very wide on the speed stix, but it is long enough to snuggle in. It would of been longer but to tell the truth I wanted to bind off and see how it turned out. Plus my grandma is little tiny and 6 ft is plenty long enough!

spectorkitty
10-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Wanda, i just looked at those needles and those are awesome! The whole time I was using the speed stix, everyone kept asking me if I could make it wider and I had to keep saying no I couldn't. But now I could! Thanks!!

pauly81
10-01-2007, 11:25 PM
looks good I'd like to knit up a quick throw

Knitter78
10-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks...those colors are absolutely beautiful together. I have started mine. I went with just your basic cream and deco, but only because my nephew asked for white and cream. I'm about 5 inches in. It has taken me a bit, because I keep having to put it down and tend to other things. But, geez do I love working with these speed stix. You can knit up a few rows in no time, and it is easy and simple. I know you said you used Tudor, Fuchsia, and Deco. But, how many strands of what colors? Like 2 Tudors, 1 Fuchsia, and 1 Deco held together. Am I close on the combination? Just a guess.

spectorkitty
10-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Let me see...

Two strands of the Tudor, and one each of the deco and fuchsia.You were exactly right!

I'm going this weekend to buy more homespun in different color combinations to make a couple more afghans.

gamerchik
10-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Your throw looks beautiful!!! :woohoo:

I completed one of these also, and I was very pleased with the way it turned out. I did add the fringe, but I knotted every single piece of it so it won't fray. The fringe seemed to take as long as it took to knit the throw! :teehee:

I've started another one in different colors. These are going to make great Christmas gifts!

knitgal
10-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I am dying to make another one of these. I also put the fringe on mine, but I didn't use homespun, so it's not fraying, which is great! I DID find that the fringe took just as long as the actual knitting though, which is hilarious!

mare-nitt
10-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Looks wonderful. And thanks for the info on the speedstix, never heard of them before.

fargo_knitting
10-05-2007, 05:14 PM
I used speed stix 6-hour afghan pattern for the first time about 2 months ago. I made a prayer/comfort blanket for a male. (I figured a prayer shawl wasn't his style ;)) Anywhoo... I used Caron Simply Soft (I think 5 strands held together) and it turned out really nice. Felt weird to go back to normal sized needles.

eladine
10-05-2007, 05:52 PM
What cast on method did you use? I've started one, will post pics soon, but the end seems to be curling up slightly?

Yours looks wonderful though... lovely.

knitgal
10-06-2007, 09:27 AM
It's just stockinette stitch, so it does curl a little. It's quite a heavy throw, so the weight of it helps to keep it flat. Also, I found the fringe helped to keep it flat too. I let my throw hang and it sort of sorted itself out. You could put a little border of garter stitch around it if you wanted to. I used the long tail cast on...I don't know if it made a difference. I also slipped the first stitch on ever row, which may have helped, but the edge looks a little loose. I probably wouldn't slip the firsr stitch on my next throw.

Knitter78
10-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Hey and that was just a quick guess....haha! I agree they are going to make wonderful Christmas gifts. I am glad I found this pattern on the lion brand site. I am now half way done with my first one. I usually only knit about 8 rows a day, I know that is horrible....ha! But, I just started it about 4 days ago, and will probably be done with it by week's end. :woohoo: I need to speed up the pace some if I am to finish a few by december. This is such an easy pattern and the needles, although took some getting used too, was simple once worked a few rows over. Now, I am a littel worried about the fringe. Oooh you guys got me dreading that....:ick:

ConnieC
11-27-2007, 02:38 PM
OK,whats a speed stix:teehee: ConnieC

WandaT
11-27-2007, 03:35 PM
They are HUGE size 25mm knitting needles.

BlueEyezz
11-28-2007, 07:03 PM
looks good! i'm a little intimidated of the speed stix. I don't like the feel of needles bigger than size 13's, lol. . .It just feels weird!

dmknits
12-08-2007, 04:19 AM
I didn't know you could get needles that big either. The afghan looks great. :)

ah
12-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Looks nice and warm. I'm sure she'll love it.