PDA

View Full Version : Baby sweater and matching hat

nonny2t
09-26-2007, 07:53 AM
I absolutely love this. It is a Christmas present for my baby grandson, though it is 24 months. I wanted something for him to wear next fall as he has tons of stuff for this fall and winter. The hat is something I just fooled around with. I took the pattern from one on Lion Brand, but I put the "worms" on top just as an extra. The sweater is from one of those tear offs at Michaels. I bought the little baseball buttons at www.buttondrawer.com (http://www.buttondrawer.com) and the yarn is Vanna's Choice from lion brand in honey, olive, and rust. I plan on buying him a little turtleneck and some olive corduroys to go with it. Very easy pattern for a newbie knitter. If you would like it and can't find the same thing at Michaels, I would be glad to scan it in and email it to you. It makes a cute girl's sweater too.

quiltbugj
09-26-2007, 07:58 AM
I love it! The colors are gorgeous.

Chrissie
09-26-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm making that same sweater for my niece for Christmas! It's such a cute pattern. I just have one sleeve left (I'm in SSS mode right now...need a :poke:), the buttonhole band, and to seam it all up.

I love the colors that you chose...Does that Vanna's choice knit up nice?

nonny2t
09-26-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm making that same sweater for my niece for Christmas! It's such a cute pattern. I just have one sleeve left (I'm in SSS mode right now...need a :poke:), the buttonhole band, and to seam it all up.

I love the colors that you chose...Does that Vanna's choice knit up nice?

Chrissie: I had to laugh saying you needed a shove to finish. I finished all the sweater, neckband, button band, sew on the buttons and even set in and sew up the one sleeve and seam etc before I finished the other sleeve. I got bored yesterday with knitting sleeves so I finished all the sweater except the one sleeve then went back to it later and finished up the sweater. As to your question, the Vanna's Choice knits up fine. I have used it on 3 projects now and never had a problem. I have washed my other grandson's sweater and hat I made him for Christmas and a sweater I made for my sil for his birthday and dried them and they did just fine.

Tobinknit
09-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Very nice. Love the colors! What a lucky little boy.

PurlyGyrl
09-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Beautiful :inlove: He'll be so cute! And thanks for the info on Vanna's choice yarn.

GinnyG
09-26-2007, 09:17 AM
ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dustinac
09-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Co cute!!! great job :happydance:

marykz
09-26-2007, 09:56 AM
that looks great!! what an adorable set- I love the fall leaves colors.

aprilbetty
09-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Adorable! Perfect for a little boy.

Songbirdy
09-26-2007, 09:58 AM
I love, love, love the colours!

I always cast on a sleeve and knit it in between the back and front and leave myself with just one sleeve till the end. I'd like to say it helps with SSS, but it's mainly a 'trick.' I'm mental that way!

karne
09-26-2007, 10:59 AM
That's adorable. I have 7 grandsons in all - 5 little ones, that would be a great sweater for any one of them.

Glad to know about Vanna's yarn too, as I really like the colors but I'm always nervous about buying acrylic yarn.

MerigoldinWA
09-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Nonny,

So cute! :muah: I really like the way the two go together. Not a perfect match with the same stripes on both, but they do go together. I love what you did with the "worms". It's so fun to add stuff like that to hats and with kids you can do it. :thumbsup:

Another vote for the Vanna's Choice. I have not really made anything out of it yet (oh, a pair of booties, but not given to anyone yet), but I knit up a swatch with it and rubbed it around on itself and washed it, doing this four times. After four washing and quite a bit of abuse it still looks good. I think it is going to be a good yarn.

nonny2t
09-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Nonny,

So cute! :muah: I really like the way the two go together. Not a perfect match with the same stripes on both, but they do go together. I love what you did with the "worms". It's so fun to add stuff like that to hats and with kids you can do it. :thumbsup:

Another vote for the Vanna's Choice. I have not really made anything out of it yet (oh, a pair of booties, but not given to anyone yet), but I knit up a swatch with it and rubbed it around on itself and washed it, doing this four times. After four washing and quite a bit of abuse it still looks good. I think it is going to be a good yarn.

The reason they don't exactly match is because the sweater that went with the hat was a total mess. I had at least 85% of it finished and it was a one piece and it looked totally wrong. I went back over the pattern at least 5 times and could not find anything I did wrong, but I have knit several one piece baby sweaters before and this just didn't look right. I frogged the whole thing out, which was a real chore because you changed colors so frequently and then went looking for a pattern that would compliment the hat since I already had it finished and liked how it looked. I found this one and thought it would go well.

PamJ
09-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Nonny, That is a beautiful set! I've been admiring Vanna's yarn and the lush colors but hadn't seen anything knit in it yet. Did you keep changing colors in the hat, or is that a verigated with the same colors as the sweater? I would much appreciate a copy of the pattern. I haven't seen it in Michaels, HL, or Jo-Ann around here. I'll e-mail you... Thanks!

nonny2t
09-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Nonny, That is a beautiful set! I've been admiring Vanna's yarn and the lush colors but hadn't seen anything knit in it yet. Did you keep changing colors in the hat, or is that a verigated with the same colors as the sweater? I would much appreciate a copy of the pattern. I haven't seen it in Michaels, HL, or Jo-Ann around here. I'll e-mail you... Thanks!

I will scan it in and email it to you Pam. The hat is the three single colors in the sweater, but it is knit two rows then switch. Here is the link to the hat and the original sweater that I just couldn't make work.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60700A.html?noImages=0

MerigoldinWA
09-27-2007, 12:51 PM
The reason they don't exactly match is because the sweater that went with the hat was a total mess. I had at least 85% of it finished and it was a one piece and it looked totally wrong. I went back over the pattern at least 5 times and could not find anything I did wrong, but I have knit several one piece baby sweaters before and this just didn't look right. I frogged the whole thing out, which was a real chore because you changed colors so frequently and then went looking for a pattern that would compliment the hat since I already had it finished and liked how it looked. I found this one and thought it would go well.

A while back someone was working on that same sweater (unless it was you :-) ), I can't remember if they were having major problems. Anyway, sometimes Plan B can be even better than Plan A. Your set turned out to be very attractive.

nancydee
09-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Nonny,

I too love your sweater and hat. I am going to Michael's today to see if I can find the pattern. I tried looking on their website but it was not included. I really like the ribbing on the cuffs and neck. And the colors are absolutely wonderful!! If I can't find the pattern, I would like it very much if you could e-mail it to me. But I will look for it at the store first.

nancydee

hortonx5
09-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Those are beautiful! I can already picture a 'little man' wearing them. You did a great job.

Slim
09-27-2007, 06:25 PM
The sweater and hat are just precious. Love the fall colors. Your grandson will look so cute in them. Thanks for all the info on Vanna's Choice -- I've been thinking about using it for my grandson's Wonderful Wallaby, so now I probably will.

Mariblue
09-27-2007, 09:27 PM
That is so sweet! He will look adorable in it! :cheering:

nancydee
09-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Nonny2t,

I tried to private message you, but could not get it to work. I was logged in but kept getting logged out. So, I am replying here. I am hoping you can e-mail me the pattern. (I just enabled my e-mail to be accessed on this message). I was not able to find the pattern at Michael's today. But I did get the Vanna yarn. Thanks so much for your help! Hope this will work this way.

nancydee

chrislt8
09-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh that is an adorable set! I love the colors as well :inlove:

ah
09-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Adorable! I love the extra worms.

AnotherBecca
09-29-2007, 08:23 PM
I absolutely love those colors! Fantastic job, and you're right, it will look really cute with some little olive corduroys!

The.Knitter
09-30-2007, 09:51 AM
gorgeous and the colours are great for a "little man", good work!

Mama Bear
09-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Congratulations on the grandson!

Lovely colors and outfit!

Mama Bear