PDA

View Full Version : FO: Crochet Hats for Halloween

Mariblue
09-26-2007, 04:04 PM
They are a surprise for my kids.
It's been awhile since I have done any crocheting. When I first got married, I wanted to make a crocheted afghan, but it took so long to do the thing it's still unfinished! I feel like a complete beginner despite the fact that I crocheted a little when I was a kid. I'm left handed, so my mom and sisters never really knew how to teach me, so I've always just done really basic stuff. Last year I got the SNB crochet book from the library, and that really helped me out. But then I discovered knitting, and am only now doing a little crochet again!
Anyway, I used the Skull Cap (http://members.aol.com/JSchlossma/skcap.html) pattern for my daughter, who is 4 1/2 years old. And the Skater Hat (http://cbaj26crochet.googlepages.com/htm-freePatterns-skaterHat.htm) pattern for my son who is 7 1/2 years old.
The Skull cap was so easy and fast to make! The skater hat took a little more work on my part because of gauge. I only own two crochet hooks, and they weren't in the right size. I eventually figured out that if I worked the entire thing in half-double crochet, then my gauge was spot on. I did less of the pattern increases to get it the right size.
The black and white yarns are Caron Simply Soft, and the orange is Lion Brand Microspun in the Mango color.

Here are the pics:

Phretys
09-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Those look really great! Your kids are gonna love them for sure. :yay:

Debi

ritaw
09-27-2007, 04:48 AM
They look great . would you like to adopt me :)

mathwizard
09-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Really nice work! Your children will be proud to wear them especially since they can brag to their friends "MY MOM MADE IT" !!:cheering:

marykz
09-27-2007, 10:43 AM
those are just adorable!! what a clever idea. I like how the coordinate- but are different.

Mariblue
09-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks, everyone! :hug:

unicorn
09-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Wow those look great. I do more crochet than knit and in the process of making a dog sweater for a neighbor. The only problem I have is using the double pointed needles and getting it tight enough without gaps.

Judy

larudden
09-28-2007, 11:28 AM
How cute is THAT? Love the colors too!

I decided to cut my hair really short yesterday. What was I thinking? I want to grow my gray out and figured this would be a good start. However, once I got home, I decided that I was crazy.

So, I immediately started crocheting a hat to cover this hair! HA! I'll post a picture when it's done.

Oh, and I went back to get my hair textured and blended in better this morning, so I feel a LITTLE bit better. I still don't know what I was thinking but, then again, that's me!

Mariblue
09-28-2007, 01:40 PM
unicorn, keep on practicing with those double pointed needles, you'll get better with practice!

Larudden, glad you like your hair a little better after getting it fixed. :hug:I once went to a hair dresser about ten years ago, back when the "Rachel" haircut was popular (you know, from that show "Friends".) Anyway, this moronic hair dresser said he knew the show, but he gave me the wrong hair cut, and I got stuck with the "Monica" hair. Grrrr.... I made the best of it, but I was not happy. I wish I knew how to knit and crochet back then. :teehee: It all turned out ok, though. I met me husband with that horrible hair cut, and it didn't stop him from getting to know me. :teehee:

Prazzie
09-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Love the hats. Great colours, you chose the perfect orange for this.

larudden
09-29-2007, 09:39 AM
OK, so I'm visiting this thread again just because I love these hats. So cute!

Are these patterns for adult sizes or would I need to adjust them? Thanks.

Mariblue
09-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Yes, I think they are for adult sizes. Definitely the skater hat is, as I had to reduce the number of stitches around because the thing was huge otherwise. It says on the pattern that it's a 22 inch circumference, which is way to big for my 7 year old! And I don't think they mean the hat to have any negative ease to it, because even with my knocking off about 12 stitches total, it still fits even my head, which is about 21 1/2 inches. But then again, I did the whole thing in half double crochet, which is a little stretchier than single crochet.
The skull cap is very stretchy. All I did was less of the round repeats so it is basically shorter, to fit my daughter. But it still fits my head, and had I lengthened the number of rounds, would have been a perfect fit for me, too.

EssenceRose
09-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Those look great! I used the same skull cap pattern when I made my first one as well. :)