PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean (yarn label)?

chrislt8
09-26-2007, 07:47 PM
I purchased some yarn today (Needful Yarns - Joy) and after I got home noticed that the label reads:

"50g econd.
1oz 3/4 conditioned weight"

anyone know what the "conditioned weight" means? I've never seen that before and am just curious :??

Songbirdy
09-26-2007, 07:51 PM
No clue, but how funny... I was sitting there fondling that yarn not more than 3 hours ago!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

chrislt8
09-26-2007, 08:31 PM
That is funny! First time I had seen it - and I was looking for something softer than Noro for an entrelac class I am taking - I think I am going to really like it for the scarf we are doing, but am curious just what "conditioned" means :shrug:

redwitch
09-26-2007, 09:48 PM
It makes me think of how a box of food will give the volume for after it has settled a bit in shipping etc. So maybe it has undergone some kind of process and could be expected to weigh a bit less after washing? Or something?

Limey
09-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Got me curious too - it means wool which has been cleaned
(I think)

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/legal/informed_compliance_pubs/icp005r2.ctt/icp005.pdf

Notes on Yield and Conditioned Weight for Wool

Certain duties in Chapter 51 are based on the “clean kg.” which is the clean yield in kilograms. The HTSUS defines “clean yield,” except for purposes of carbonized fibers, as the absolute clean content (i.e., all that portion of the merchandise which consists exclusively of wool or hair free of all vegetable and other foreign material, containing by weight 12 percent of moisture and 1.5 percent of material removable from the wool or hair by extraction with alcohol, and having an ash content of not over 0.5 percent by weight), less an allowance, equal by weight to 0.5 percent of the absolute clean content plus 60 percent of the vegetable matter present, but not exceeding 15 percent by weight of the absolute clean content, for wool or hair that would ordinarily be lost during commercial cleaning operations. For purposes of carbonized fibers, the term “clean yield” means in the condition as entered.
conditioned weight.

Wool is often bought on the basis of “,” which is the dry weight plus a fixed percentage of expected moisture content by percent of weight, or “moisture regain.” This is usually 15% to 18% depending on the system employed. A term such as “conditioned at 17%” for a wool purchase would indicate that the fiber was bought on the basis of a moisture regain of 17%. Under CIE 1235/57 (which, although written under the previous valuation system and before the HTSUS, still is instructive), valuation was based on the price per conditioned kilogram, while any specific duty rate was assessed against the actual landed net weight in kilograms, adjusted for clean yield.

chrislt8
09-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Limey - I bow to your googling capabilities :notworthy: I tried several different searches and didn't get anywhere. So, now we know...or at least we have the answer - not sure I completely understand it :eyes: but I get the drift (I think!:roflhard:)!

I originally thought it probably had something to do with the way the wool was treated - but I guess it has more to do with the weight in it's "natural" state, cleaned but not treated,,. :think: Thanks!

Limey
09-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi Chrislt8

You're very welcome.- As for my googling abilities, it just helps if you're naturally nosey. :---

All the Best

Ellie