PDA

View Full Version : I saw Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Cristy
09-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I saw Stephanie Pearl-McPhee last week and she was soooo funny (just like her blog!!)! I had such a good time...the LYS brought her to Atlanta and 700 people attended a local community theater space where we had Atlanta's largest knit-in while she spoke! It was so much fun!

Anyone else ever heard her speak before? I didn't realize her writing (the books about knitting) was kind of sparked by the SARS epidemic in Canada--she and her dh lost their jobs as a result of SARS in Toronto and she had written freelance articles in the past and loved to knit so she decided to pair the two together as a way to earn a little extra money....go figure! Good things do come out of tragic events...

feministmama
09-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Why would she get fired from the SARS epedemic? :??

Jan in CA
09-27-2007, 01:20 AM
I didn't know that either! Wow!

Quiltlady
09-27-2007, 04:23 AM
I have all of her books and she is very funny in them. Love her blog too.:hug:

sandclove
09-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I saw her a week ago and she was fantastic.

I believe she got let go from being either a Douala or lactation consultant due to being in the hospital for pregnant/post preg moms. With the epidemic they couldn't have "extra" people coming and going (thus, potentially spreading sars) in the hospital.

jjminarcik
09-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I saw her in Houston last week. She was great!

Cristy
09-28-2007, 07:15 PM
I believe she got let go from being either a Douala or lactation consultant due to being in the hospital for pregnant/post preg moms. With the epidemic they couldn't have "extra" people coming and going (thus, potentially spreading sars) in the hospital.

yep--she was kind of both from what I understand and b/c SARS was contained within the hospital, they wouldn't let a lot of people come and go. Her husband is a media producer and 80% of his clients were US citizens and the US government put a ban on travel to and from Canada during the epidemic.