PDA

View Full Version : Poncho

pauly81
09-27-2007, 03:45 AM
I was just wondering if poncho's are unisex. I want to make one, and I have an easy pattern.

redwitch
09-27-2007, 08:08 AM
I would love to be liberal here and say wear whatever the hell you want even if that's a skirt, but I get the feeling that's not what you're asking. I do think of them as female clothing. Then again, that's because most of the ones I see are on knitters' blogs, and most of those knitters are female.
I think men occasionally wear ponchos, but it's not common, you might get some comments (depending on where you are), and should be very careful to make it very masculine. As most ponchos I see are on women, it might mean that your pattern is not likely to be for a suitably masculine poncho. I say go for it if you want to, but for a guy, I'd make sure it had no stitch patterns of any kind, no yarnovers etc., NO FRINGE, blokey colours, not loosely knit... you get the idea.

P.S. I am sure you can totally pull it off, and if anyone does think it's not suitably masculine, it can't be any worse than what they would think about you knitting! Maybe check out some men's clothing shops online and see if they have many ponchos for men and what kind of shapes etc. make them suitable?

marykz
09-27-2007, 08:08 AM
I think they can be- I would just skip the fringe, and use "manly" colors! I've seen some interesting man-chos out of camoflauge yarn, and some that looked like they had an aztec design at the edge. Keeping the overall design simple will make it more wearable by all. (no pom poms, fringe, lacy edges....)

go for it! and if you hate it, well, then, its just yarn!

suzeeq
09-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Lion has a few in their free patterns - http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?search=Search&searchText=men%27s+poncho&x=5&y=8

Songbirdy
09-27-2007, 07:25 PM
I was going to say something South American ish... or Mexican style.

kind of more like a blanket wrap.

And if you were into the Society of/for Creative Anacronism (those who reinact history or certain time periods) then for sure!

I grew up overseas and many men wore shawls. But that was the cultural norm!

Ingrid
09-27-2007, 07:30 PM
"Who says ponchos are for girls?"

G J
09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
"Who says ponchos are for girls?"
True, but did you see Craig Ferguson's monologue about it? Very funny!

Ingrid
09-27-2007, 07:53 PM
No, I didn't. But who's gonna mess with Eastwood?:rofl:

suzeeq
09-27-2007, 10:39 PM
You might also search for ruana patterns. They're a S American type poncho only with the fronts usually open. Clint's picture there reminds me of them...