PDA

View Full Version : A "Knit-Person" and "Crochet-Person": Fact or Fiction?

Pandora
09-28-2007, 05:27 AM
I was sitting with my mother at Starbucks today, knitting away on my current WIP (a baby blanket), when she began telling me about her mother's knitting. Her mother knit, but never crocheted. My mother crocheted, but couldn't really get the hang of knitting. My grandmother on my father's side crochets, but does not knit.

I taught myself to crochet from books, but needed a teacher for knitting my first time out. After a lesson, though, I could knit just as well as I crocheted, and I've always seemed to have equal skill at both. Am I strange? Do most people do better at one or the other? And why? To me, the two are very similar, but they must have some important difference in the way the brain processes them, to make one or the other so challenging for a person.

I'm curious as to everyone's insights on this topic, and to find out how many out there are in the same boat as me--comfortable in both worlds.

toomuch
09-28-2007, 06:31 AM
I hope to be in the same boat as you, but right now the two are very different to me. I'm a crocheter who's trying to learn to knit. My "knitting" is a mess. Holding two needles is not comfortable to me and the stitches can slip off and then I really don't know what to do. I'm not giving up though! I just set it aside and take up some crochet to calm and relax. How long have you knitted?
Julie

marykz
09-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Personally, I like both crochet and knitting. each technique has strengths and weaknesses and both are important skills to have. I find crochet much easier to understand and manipuate; but the projects I want to make right now are knit. (for the record, I learned knitting first, but learned crochet faster)

I think people get a mental block when having to switch gears between the two. maybe it has to do with the muscle memory or rhythm you get in to with knitting, it isn't easily switched to the different rhythm and yarn handling of crochet.

Then there is the association of crochet with the weird stuff of the 70's and all the toilet paper covers in grandmas house. you often hear that knitters call crochet the "c word" as if it is less worthy. or only pick up a hook to fix dropped knit stitches.

most people I know either do one or the other 90% of the time. I don't know why really.... but I like both.

tropicallie
09-28-2007, 09:17 AM
I have crocheted for 30 some years but have only been hand knitting for maybe 2 years. I just now am confident enough with knitting to try difficult patterns and find I really enjoy making lace. With crochet, there is no pattern that intimidates me but some knitting patterns still do. It's easier for me to memorize and visualize a stitch pattern in crochet than in knitting. I recently began knitting continental style and find I'm more comfortable holding the yarn in my left hand - probably due to my long crochet history.

mwhite
09-28-2007, 09:21 AM
I can crochet some, just never really got into it enough to learn or read all the stitches. I prefer knitting and have developed that fairly well. Mother crochets EVERYTHING!! She can work on the tiny hook with tiny thread for hours and days and does beautiful filigree tablecloths.... She's a tad disappointed with me and my knitting and gives me those "Family" looks when I tell her I'm working on a piece... she'll say, "What are you making it with?" When I tell her it's knitted she is so funny.... LOL!!!

I find that it is very helpful to know how to crochet and crocheting edges is very simple on my knitting work. I have made several crocheted afghans. I think that crocheting a piece from worsted takes alot less time to complete than knitting.

mullerslanefarm
09-28-2007, 09:39 AM
I started with knitting back in the 60's - g'ma taught me (probably to keep me busy and out of her hair). Only knitted that one winter.

Took up crochet about 12 years ago - started with thread crochet.

Started spinning about 10 years ago and lusted after knit socks. I would spin skein after skein of sock weight yarn - crocheted socks just didn't do it for me.

I tried to teach myself knitting again, but couldn't get the hand of it, despite trying multiple 'learn to knit'. I knew I knitted continental.

I found this site (THANK YOU!) and realized that G'ma taught me combined continental.

I'm zipping right along now with both knitting and crocheting.

mathwizard
09-28-2007, 11:05 AM
I like to do both. Crochet for some things is faster but I like the close texture knitting gives. Right know I am doing more knitting but have gotten into doilies and collars for crocheting.
I am taking a sock class for the next three Sat. and can't wait. I figure get the basics and I will be off and running.

remclave
09-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I switch between knit and crochet without any problems.:aww:

Boogs
09-29-2007, 04:59 AM
I taught myself to crochet from a book and then, a month after, taught myself to knit.

I enjoy doing both but have only, so far, earned money through my crochet when I crocheted up some items for a book, (someone else's design, the book is published) and I will be doing further work for the lady's next book too. :)

EssenceRose
09-29-2007, 07:13 AM
My step mother taught me how to crochet when I was just a kid... I was no older than 9 or 10 at the time. I fiddled with trying to make dish cloths and whatnot, but I never really got any further than that.

I attempted knitting several times over the course of a few years as well, but again -- I never really got very far.

Then one rainy day I was very very bored and decided to pick up the stitch n' bitch book. After that, I was away with knitting. I absolutely fell in love with it. I still remembered the basics of crochet and thought about trying to learn again, but it was way too intimidating for me.

Then a few months ago, I checked out the stitch n' bitch crochet book from the library. I don't know why, but those books make it so easy!! After reading that and practicing on small projects, I've fallen in love with crochet as well. It makes me wonder why on earth I waited so long to learn again!!

Right now I prefer crochet over knitting because it's faster, however I still like some things knitted rather than crocheted (such as socks, sweaters, etc).

Annasta111
09-29-2007, 09:04 AM
I've crocheted for years, but just learned how to knit.... Learning to knit gave me such a serious fit and I stopped for a while, then tried again, now I can do both, although much slower in the knit. To me crochet is much faster but to me knit looks better. And crochet patterns to me are easy to read and keep track of... knit.. well I'm still learning :)

Pandora
10-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Wow, lots of responses while I was busy with schoolwork! To answer an earlier question, I believe I've been knitting for about two years and crocheting for three, but I'm not 100% positive.

I agree with the overall opinion that crochet is faster but I enjoy knitting's texture more. I also wanted to add that crochet is simpler to work in the round, which makes it better for some things. I just started knitting a baby blanket on size 6 needles, and it's supposed to be about 2 1/2 feet square... :hair: So I'm whining to myself with every dropped purl that the thing would've been almost done by now if I crocheted it. It will, however, be much softer and more flexible when I'm finished, without any open spaces to catch my future baby cousin's fingers, so I can console myself with that! :mrgreen:

aprildavis99
10-01-2007, 05:19 PM
I taught myself how to cdrochet from a book about 13 years ago. It took to it like water. :woot:

About 3 or 4 years ago, I wanted to learn to knit. I got book after book after book and could not get it. All the books wanted me to learn to hold the yarn in my right hand...I hold it in the left when I crochet so this was absolutely foreign to me :noway:. I finally found knittinghelp.com and it's awesome videos and learned Continental knitting almost as quickly as crochet. Now I can go back and forth between the two with out even thinking about it.:yay::cheering::yay::cheering:

Karrying Kolor
10-01-2007, 05:45 PM
It was duelling hooks and needles in my house growing up...Mom knit and Granny crocheted, and I learned to do both early on.
So my world of project choices is wide open! :yay:

larudden
10-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Then there is the association of crochet with the weird stuff of the 70's and all the toilet paper covers in grandmas house.

OMG, you are SO right! For awhile, that's how I thought about crochet but I must say that I'm really enjoying picking it up again. I like that crochet goes really fast so I feel a quicker sense of accomplishment. :woot:

I'm still into my knitting. I seem to go in spurts: knit for a bit, then crochet, then back again. I think I need to work on my attention span.

The best, though, is scanning for patterns online. I could do that all day long.

I've noticed that crochet has really morphed these days. The patterns available are really awesome and just as cutting edge at times as knitting. I'll look at pictures sometimes and have a hard time figuring out if it's knitted or crocheted.

my 2 cents...............

roseybee
10-02-2007, 06:28 PM
I started crocheting as a college freshman when my mom taught me to make a ripple afghan using half-double crochet. (That's all she knew, and she only ever started (and never finished) two afghans, one in the seventies and another in the nineties (when she taught me).
Anyway, I taught myself eveything else from books. I made blankets, hats, gloves, filet crochet signs, doilies, etc. I enjoyed crocheting but would call it a hobby, not an addiction.

A couple years ago I developed a condition that worsened a few months ago. It got to the point where crocheting really aggravated it. I was used to doing something with my hands, though, so thought I'd try knitting. For some reason, knitting doesn't bother me. I taught myself using this website after my mother-in-law taught me how to cast on (using a method that I don't use anymore and have forgotten). I am totally addicted to knitting! I knit continental and combined, and for me it's very similar to crochet.

Crochet goes faster and is easier to fix mistakes, but knitting uses less yarn and is just better for me. There's something about the texture of feel or something... I don't consider myself as knowledgeable about knitting as I am about crochet (yet!) but I definitely love it in a way that I never loved crochet.

Nichan
10-03-2007, 07:54 PM
I agree with mathwizard!...crochet is much faster and so far, i found it has richer texture and motifs...but with knit...it's has rigid style and the texture is much closer...but to form something by knitting, i really have to think harder than crochet...but to modify the pattern, i think i more get used to with the knitting...i haven't tried to modify the crochet pattern...but i have to make 'original' form like bags or else, i think crochet is much easier...don't know how it becomes like that...but that what happens...

also, with crochet, mostly, i have to keep tracking by keep looking at the pattern...but with knit, i can understand the 'pattern' of knitting pattern faster...it's like easier to remember...

i crochet too now...i used to knit and bought a lot of knit needles...but then, i found a great crochet books and since then i got hooked and got 'crochet booked'...yes, i bought a lot, too lot crochet books...

i think Es.Rose has point, too...well, sometimes i thought back about my learning of knitting and crochet and compared them...
this what i found...
i learned all by myself by using books, internet...i think i learned faster with knit...i found problems and solves by myself quite faster in knitting than in crochet...i 'learn' to knit (a lot of basic method)within 2-3 weeks and it wasn't intensive...i learned it quite quickly, so within month i encouraged myself to modify pattern and make own pattern...also, playing with motifs...

but with crochet...i must say, it's been weeks and i'm still learning...may be to the next tens weeks...uh...but i like to know and see what i can see with crochet...the free form benefit it has has encouraged me to keep learning about it...

besides...with both of knit and crochet, i can use ALL my yarns, small or bulky...
with light to medium yarns, i will crochet it, and with heavier yarn...i will knit them,except may be for socks...

i think those (knit and crochet) complete each other...i have few knowledge of crochet since i was a kid (only chain and dc but unable to make like bags or else)...but i interested more in knitting until i bought the inspiring books...and i found that for me, some projects will be better if it's done with knitting than crochet and vice versa and sometimes projects are great in both knit and croch, so i can make both so i have both style...it's really my advantage to learn and know how to knit and crochet at the same time...

i think some people with crochet interest at first can find it, too...find that knitting is as interesting as crochet...and then, they tried to knit...or they just confused and stop learning it...

no matter what, knit and crochet are not 'twin'...they are one of ways of doing knit...if you have heard that traditional knit may not use needle but by hand...
may be it's like music...some people modern play guitar, other people play like a country traditional guitar.they both have string but the sound and the way it's played may be different or it is different...and some people may master modern guitar but unable or hard to play traditional guitar-like...
i think it's a matter of interest...i thought i wouldn't get hooked after i know knit, but know...i'm kind of obssesed to master crochet...so, i learn...it's harder but i LEARN...

Plantgoddess+
10-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I also enjoy doing both. I learned to crochet from books as a teenager and then in my 30's taught myself to knit from a howto book. I have developed my own style of holding the knitting needles, but I figure as long as the project turns out as planned I won't worry about it. After so many years I find that trying to knit properly is too slow and tedious and I revert back to my own way.
I enjoy both equally and it just depends on what I want to make and what materials I have available.

Braden
10-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I can knit just as well as I can crochet, but I really don't crochet much anymore. I knit all the time.

purlwise
10-06-2007, 10:04 PM
I taught myself to knit and crochet from books, and I like both equally well, although I crochet faster than I knit. I like some of the patterns I've seen that incorporate both. There is a book called Knitting Loves Crochet that is great. You can get the great lacy look of crochet and then pick up stitches and knit cuffs or a bottom in ribbing to get a more polished look. Or you and knit a sweater and crochet edging in scallops or whatever to get a great looking sweater. The sweater on the cover is really cute! Here is a link to the book on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Loves-Crochet-Stylish-Designs/dp/1580178421/ref=sr_1_201/104-1596016-3004719?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191722607&sr=1-201

leppardess
10-07-2007, 06:55 AM
I do both. I've crocheted for years (since I was about 14 or so and I'm 44 now... gramma taught me) but only 're-learned' to knit last year after my Mom tried to teach me when I was about the same age as I started crocheting. The trouble was that my Mom was left handed and I'm right handed so it was hard for me to figure out from her instructions.

I gave up on knitting for a long time. Since my Mom had passed on, she left me her small stash of yarn and her knitting supplies, last year, I picked up her needles and decided that I was going to 're-learn' how to knit.

I mostly make afghans and slippers with crochet but I'm doing much more with knitting. I've started my first top down raglan (almost done with the sleeve increases), I've made some tube socks and I'm just starting my first pair of real toe up socks :woot:I'm really happy about starting real socks...

Honestly, I really do like both crafts equally. Knitting is great for wearables that don't weight a ton since the fabric is thinner while crocheting is quicker and better for large things like afghans (gotta love granny squares...).

But, my first love is crochet since I've been doing it for so long. Granny squares was the first thing that I learned and it's still my favorite thing to do (well, squares in general...).

And I agree with Nichan, that I have to think a lot more when I knit. To me, crocheting is so much easier, the pattern is easier to keep track of. When I knit, I have to keep counting to make sure that I'm in the right place. When I'm crocheting, I can just look at what I've done and know whether I'm off or not.

One example of the difference for me is... making a shawl. I made the Seraphina shawl in less than a week, working a few hours a day on it. For a simple triangular shawl, garter stitch, it took me well over a month. I'm DEFinitely not a speed knitter :-P

ElenTikvah
10-08-2007, 12:25 AM
I learned both as a child...and forgot both. Then retaught myself crochet, and finally knitting...and I love both, though I find myself knitting most.

~Tik

Debkcs
10-08-2007, 03:30 AM
Interesting thread, as I've thought about the why of each in my life.

I'm left handed, no one else in my family is, and the few female adults gave up trying to teach me to crochet or knit. A civilian nurse I worked with when I was in the Army taught me to crochet, patient Mrs. Phillips!

It wasn't until I saw a demonstration of continental knitting that this craft became possible for me. Patterns are very confusing to me if I'm required to do any math with them. READING the pattern for a Mobius scarf gave me a first rate headache.

WandaT
10-08-2007, 07:12 AM
I do both too. My Mom taught me to crochet when I was little. I never saw her knit, but have since learned that she did know how to knit too. Guess she just enjoyed crochet more at that point. I taught myself how to knit several years ago... and after much struggling with learning how to manipulate two needles instead of one hook, I finally got it (practiced on many a dish/wash cloth and scarves).

Now I enjoy doing both and not being limited when looking at patterns. That was my main reason for wanting to learn to knit. I got so tired of seeing a knit pattern that I loved and had to pass it up.

Becky Morgan
10-08-2007, 02:40 PM
I switch between knit and crochet without any problems.:aww:

Same here. I couldn't make any sense out of knitting books after learning to crochet, so I knit Continental-combined-weird but it works :)

--Becky

Leeseebat
10-09-2007, 11:12 PM
i can do both.

my mom taught herself when i was little and tried many times to teach my sister, never got into it...then one day in hopes i would FINALLY sit still she taught me and i took to it quickly...

years later i decided i wanted something new and taught myself to knit

i still do both...

Nunnemaker
10-10-2007, 10:06 AM
I taught my self to crochet with books about five years ago and it has saved me tons of $$ on baby shower gifts. I started to mess with knitting about a year ago and I think I'm doing rather well. My Mom crocheted some but I don't ever remember her doing so. My Grandmother also crocheted but I don't recall anyone in my Fam knitting. I think it's the personality that determines how well you catch on. Plus having a family member to teach you has got to be an advantage too.

Maddison
10-10-2007, 10:32 AM
I do both! I was taught both by my Grandmother so I never thought anything of it. I often do both on one project by adding in a crochet edging on things. I think I prefer crochet edgings to knit ones. Perhaps I'm strange too? My hubby sure thinks I am.

cheley
10-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Yep...taught myself to crochet with books...Knitting was for sure more difficult...but I was fortunate to have a wonderful "crafty" lady living across the street from me....only problem is she has passed on and I still have knitting questions.....

remclave
10-10-2007, 07:41 PM
:sigh: I guess I should expand a little on my previous reply ...I'm just not very verbose... I learned how to crochet from a Coats & Clark pamphlet that I picked up in the late 70s. I never could stand granny squares though as I found the patterns rather boring. I fell in love with the intricacies of lace doilies though but didn't actually pursue doilies until after I learned how to knit in June of 1984. That's when I bought a bunch of lamb's wool that was on clearance and a pattern (the Pride of Ireland seen here (http://craftingenclave.blogspot.com/) - go to the bottom of the page.) I chose this as my learning project as I have a bad habit in believing I can do anything I set my mind to. :aww: My grandmother said I had the patience of Methuselah as she watched me tear out my knitting at least two dozen times before I finally figured out how to do each of the different stitches that were included in the pattern... bobbles & cables. :roflhard: I finished that afghan on Christmas Eve 1984 and it still looks pretty good considering how felted it has become. Just this past winter, I sat down for one evening and taught myself to do continental-styled knitting. It took less than a week for it to be just as comfortable as the English method and MUCH faster. Now, because I can hold my yarn in the same hand, I can literally switch from using knitting needles to a crohook to a crochet hook in one project and be comfortable with any of the methods involved.

I will say this... I am still a novice after 22 plus years BECAUSE I love to learn new techniques and haven't always concentrated on quantity. I have learned lots of awesome tips and techniques since being part of this wonderful community!:grphug:

cookworm
10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
It's funny that you post this because I've wondered the same thing! The people that I know seem to do one or the other, not both. Seems like they can't get the hang of the other craft. My grandmother did tatting, crochet, cross stitch, embroidery, quilting, and sewed a bit (just about everything you can do with a needle! :teehee:), but admitted she just couldn't get the hang of knitting, using two needles instead of the one hook as in crochet, but her sister knitted beautifully! I learned how to crochet from my grandma about 25 years ago (just chain stitch and single crochet), and never really pursued anything with it because I wasn't really good at it. I learned how to knit 3 years ago at a class, and for me, the hardest part was figuring out how to maneuver yarn around two straight sticks (isn't the yarn going to fall off of those pointy ends instead of having a hook to grab it???) and I've been knitting ever since, but just recently, my friend and I decided we wanted to know how to crochet too (I think if a person is willing and able to learn both, it's great!), so we're going to classes. While it's all coming back to me fast, the crocheting to me seems a bit harder to me to get to look even, whereas my knitting seems to usually be pretty even (though maybe that took some time from the beginning and I'm not remembering that? :think:). So for me, maybe I will be a "one-or-the-other" yarnster, but I'm not giving up yet on crochet!

Quiltlady
10-13-2007, 10:52 AM
I was taught how to crochet by my mom when I was a young girl. I enjoyed it. I made MANY afghans back then.

About four years ago when my dd had her first baby, a girl, I picked up knitting needles. I can do both but I do prefer to knit. :knitting::knitting:

speattle
10-24-2007, 01:58 AM
I can switch gears quickly. I learned to knit first when I was 6 and then learned Crochet in HS. Each has it's own unique charm.

Lately I have been knitting, but today have been crocheting the border on an afghan that is a birthday gift for my niece on the 25th.

kokum2
10-24-2007, 09:49 AM
I have been knitting and crocheting for years (to many to count :woot:). I taught myself to do both from books that I had purchased. Once I understood the directions I was off and running........ less than a week for both crafts.

One thing that I had to consider was that I was left handed and that the majority of patterns and instructions were for learning right handed. MY SOLUTION was to learn to do it right handed BECAUSE it takes both hands to do knitting or crochet :happydance::roflhard:

It is awkward to learn either craft to start with no matter if you are right or left handed, so go with the majority and you will have less problems (no need to read patterns backwards or put up to a mirror like suggested in books if you are doing it left handed)

monzogary
10-26-2007, 06:16 PM
I've been doing both for about 22 years now, and while I tend to knit more, I can crochet just about as well. I enjoy both, and I tend to use knit or crochet for certain types of projects respectively.

Shelley
10-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I've crocheted here and there for years. It always just "comes" to me as far as ease. I can picture what I need to do and see where I'm going with a pattern.

I began my very first knitted project a week ago. It's a sweater for my nephew this Christmas.

I can see so many differences right from the start!

First...I like crocheting better in the sense that I can rip out mistakes and correct them much quicker and easier than with knitting.

Second...the first time I tried to hold two needles at once...I truly felt awkward and bumbling.

Third...it seems there are a kazillion different stitches and gadgets you need to knit...whereas, with crocheting...all you need is a hook and yarn.

But...even with all those reasons...I've got a real fire to master knitting.

Knitting produces such wonderful works with great "movement."

Knitting also makes me feel more accomplished as it takes a bit more brain power on my part.

And knitting, it seems, allows for a bit more refinement and option choice in finished products.

I'll always love crocheting...the ease...the speed...the delicate work...but I can see a love for knitting really washing over me.

It's just going to take a little practice. :X:

annomalley
10-28-2007, 06:31 PM
My grandmother could do both, but she did more crochet than she knitted. She tried to teach me both when I was a kid, but it was crochet that I got the hang of, but I could never get past doing the chain and when I would start the next row, my work always curled.

I've been trying to pick it up again, mostly at this point, to be able to do edgings for my knitted goods. I would like to do some crochet, but sometimes the motion aggravates my wonky wrist. I'm jonesing to do an afghan and most of the patterns I find are crochet patterns, so that would be nice, too.

Quiltlady
10-30-2007, 06:18 PM
I learned to crochet as a child. I enjoyed it. Made lots of aghans. Then recently I began knitting which I like MUCH better.:muah:

SherKnit
11-06-2007, 03:15 PM
I just took a crochet class.....I am struggling...for some reason my brain/hands don't want to do it. I have been knitting for almost 3 years.

CountryKitty
11-06-2007, 07:37 PM
My Mom taught me to crotchet when I was in the 3rd grade. I enjoy it quite a bit and am crotcheting a pair of crocadile scarves for the gran'boys currently.

Then I moved on to afghan stitches around 5th or 6th grade. I think it was Barbara Walker who called afghan crotchet the "bad marriage between knitting and crotchet"--I couldn't DISAGREE more!

Mom never learned to knit--used an afghan hook and 1 knitting needle. Someone saw my sister 'afgh-knitting' and showed her the proper way and of course she taught me (I was 18 or so, with a good-sized stash to my name already, and several crotcheted blankets and afghans and sweaters in my hope chest).

Like others have said, each has its own appeal and is well suited to different applications. Crotchet is faster, knitting drapes better and has an elegant look due to that, and afghan stitches--tho' slowest--are very sturdy and durable and dense.

BTW, I have a book called Victorian Crotchet (no longer in print but try to look it up on Amazon or get it through an interlibrary loan) that has some awesome crotchet and afghan stitches! The textures are incredible!

boo1
11-09-2007, 07:14 AM
A dear friend taught me to crochet about 15 years ago. I just started knitting recently. I find that crochet is much, much easier (esp. when it comes to correcting errors), but it makes my left hand ache, and I just think that knitting is more appealing to me. It was awkward at first, but it feels very natural now. I really love it, as long as I'm not making a mess!

I'll take both!

mhansen
11-14-2007, 12:03 PM
I can knit and crochet. My grandmother taught me to knit and crochet. For years I just crocheted because it was easier than knitting. But just in this last year I took up knitting again and with no problem. I do incorporate crocheting into my knitting alot though. I like crocheted edgings better than knit edgings. Crochet patterns are easier to follow than knit patterns. I never had a counter until I took up knitting again.

Ang_3_72
12-03-2007, 11:55 PM
I learned to knit by internet videos and a little help at church, but just couldn't get into it. The two needles just don't work well in my hands. My mother taught me to crochet when I was a kid and I hadn't done it for 20 something years. But I picked it back up and started again. I'm still just learning, but it's so much faster than knitting. Now if I could only figure out how to do the fancy stiches and how to read a pattern I'd be good. :)

cristeen
12-04-2007, 02:56 PM
I've been crocheting for 20+ years, and only knitting for a couple weeks. But knitting is completely comfortable for me. I picked up a crochet hook last week and did a few small pieces... after a couple hours, my hook hand was aching. I don't get that with knitting. For something large, I'd probably rather crochet it, since it goes faster, but for small objects, I prefer knitting so far, since my hands don't hurt from it.

photolady
12-08-2007, 10:56 PM
I have been teaching students of all ages, basic knitting skills, and a few advanced stitches.
What I've learned is, for some reason, knitters don't comprehend written instruction as well as hands on instruction. The most common complaint I hear from new students is: I've TRIED to learn from looking at books, but, I just don't get it!
But, as soon as I teach them how to knit, all of a sudden, the door of understanding is opened, and the student grasps the meaning of the diagrams, drawings, and instructions.
I LOVE to watch a person "open that door"! Its so rewarding to see students gain confidence and become eagerly interested in "what can I make next?"
I'm not sure if those who crochet have trouble understanding diagrams and written word, but, I know knitters do, at first.
I'm going to learn to crochet, as I can see how beneficial it will be for me as far as grasping a new concept, applying it to my skills, and using it to teach others.
I've heard crocheting is much easier than knitting. Must be true, based on the # of crocheters vs. knitters.
I LOVE knitting. I really do. It's exciting to learn new techniques, and to create designs of my own. I love the colors, the textures, the designs. It satisfies something deep inside my soul.
I read somewhere about different styles of learning, audio, visual, logical, spatial,kinetic, all that. I would guess successful knitters are the visual/spatial learners.
Signs of visual/spatial learners:
* sensitive to colours/pictures
* dislike listening for too long without seeing any pictures or images
* remember faces, building or any concrete things
* When reading, seek out or have interest in pictures or diagrams
* like to draw, build, design and create things
* like daydreaming, look at pictures/slides; good at imagining things
* like watching movies, reading maps, charts or diagrams
* prefer to use pictures or images to communicate their idea
* sensing changes about people’s appearance, things in his/her house/school
* like playing mazes/puzzles

This is me, to a "T". I do all of this, and have all my life.
Google learning styles, and see what you can discover about it.
The thing I was most grateful to discover about different learning styles was, I probably was not born with the ability to understand math, nor to even care about math, AND, depending on your strengths in learning styles, this will greatly affect your choices in hobbies.

I loved to knit, once someone showed me how.
I hope this helps you.

knitpurlgurl
12-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I am a knitter. My Ohma taught me to crochet when I was 10, but I lost all crochet skills by my teenage years.. I learned to knit about a year ago in order to teach my Asperger's son to knit (to help his fine motor skills and help him to relax when anxious). I'm just starting to become interested in crochet again.. But for now I am definitely a knitter.

My MIL can knit and crochet, but is definitely a crocheter. My grandmother can knit and crochet and is a crocheter. I think that people who love creating can't just pick one outlet. They may prefer one more than another, but why pick one when you can enjoy knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilting, crafting, scrapbooking, card making, rubber stamping... That's my motto! :woot:

Joiann
01-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Hello All,

I have wondered this very thing for over 30 years. I believe that the answer may be like my experience with cooking. We all have our favorite recipes. Our success may be simply dependent on the ingredients we use.

1 cup of "love to try new things"
1 pinch of teacher (class, book, or web site)
1 hour of "me" time
1 (or more)http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/images/smilies/heart.gif
:heart: loved one to shower with our creations
Yarn, Thread, Material to taste

Mix to perfection!

A recipe for success, be it crochet, knitting, bobbin lace, needle/shuttle tatting, sewing, quilting, or ________(fill in the blank)

JoAnnhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/images/smilies/knitting.gif
:knitting:

HufflepuffRose
01-02-2008, 10:11 PM
My mother tried to teach me how to crochet granny squares one time a long time ago but I never learned how at that time. As far as knitting goes I taught myself from the lion brand website booklet and this website. I also taught myself to crochet from the booklet thing at lion brand also but my mother had to tell my to ch how ever many to make my project square.

stacy.duval
01-03-2008, 12:29 PM
As a kid, I remember watching my Mother crochet, cross stitch, and make tatted lace. She made all kinds of beautiful things. Her side of the family crocheted as well. My father's side of the family was of the quilting persuasion. Of course I don't know how to go with the flow, so I started knitting, spinning, weaving, and making bobbin lace. I do know how to crochet reasonably well, but I typically limit it to edgings for my knitting or to fine thread lace. I enjoy it, but not as much as knitting. Maybe because I actually have to look at what I'm doing with crochet, whereas with knitting I can do it primarily by feel while watching tv, or talking.

justsmi
01-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I learned to crochet when younger, have been crocheting for 20 yrs or so, tried to knit once years ago and gave up. I made it my new years resolution to learn to knit. i think knit items look so refined as opposed to crochet. I have noticed crochet goes much much faster though, but knitting uses much less yarn.

mom2hancj
01-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Interesting topic!

I had a friend teach me to crochet about two years ago and enjoyed it. But I wanted to learn to knit too. I tried once and couldn't get it. So I came on knitting help.com and learned from the videos...just watched them and watched them until I got it. I can do both equally but prefer to knit. For some reason, I think knitting is a bit more challenging b/c you have to keep the stitches on the needles and if not, you have a mess. I also can knit faster than I crochet. It is kinda weird b/c I like knitting better but it took me a bit longer to pick it up.

cgd
01-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I learned to crochet first and am still more comfortable doing that. For me the learning curve on knitting was huge. I've been doing it over a year now, and am getting more comfortable with it. What held me back was the difficulty of fixing mistakes vs. that of crochet. Now I make fewer mistakes, and when I do, I can fix them (you pick up those dropped stitches with a crochet hook of course!)

As others have said, each craft is good for different things. I love to crochet afghans because they go fast. I'm getting into making wearables and like the knitting feel more. The more I knit, the better I'm getting, but I'll always see crochet as easier for me. Maybe one day I'll be equally comfortable with both.

I'd like to get as good as those of you who combine the two--maybe a knitted sweater body with crocheted lacy sleeves or edging. There are lots of nice ideas out there.

Tia
01-09-2008, 02:01 AM
Right now I'm a crocheter. I taught myself from booklets and the internet almost 2 yrs. ago. I love it and it's very comfortable and goes fast! I'm getting to where I've started making my own patterns.

Now I'm trying to learn to knit and am having a very difficult time....it's very awkward still (after many months) and I haven't mastered tinking or frogging yet. I'm going to stick with it though because I really want to learn...I feel some things are better knitted and of course I hate seeing a pretty item and then noticing it's a knit pattern and having to pass on it.

I just keep reminding myself of how awkward the crochet was at first and I started collecting some knit patterns to encourage me to keep trying.

cftwo
01-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I think I learned to crochet first, and then knit, but I learned both between the ages of say 8-13 or so. I honestly prefer to do cross-stitch first, and choose my knit/crochet method based on the project. For example, I much prefer to crochet hats (I have challenges with dpns), but I like the look of other knitted projects like sweaters and mittens. For delicate lacey projects I prefer thread crochet. I basically just choose what I think is easier and/or looks better.

sakura-panda
01-10-2008, 03:29 PM
When DH and I first started dating, I would take a crochet project with me to his family functions since I mostly just sat and listened and nodded politely. :)

His grandmother told me that she used to knit, before her hands became too shaky, but was never able to learn to crochet. Interestingly, her daughter crochets but does not knit (DH's mom) while her son-in-law can knit but not crochet (DH's stepfather).

My mom crochets but does not knit. I know that she tried knitting at least once, but either it didn't take or she didn't like it. I'm not sure which.

I think that crocheting and knitting serve different purposes. Personally, I want to expand my crocheting skills to making doilies and other home projects and I want to develop my knitting skills to making socks and other wearable projects. :thumbsup:

noratasha
01-10-2008, 06:14 PM
I've been knitting for 23 years, and crocheting for about 10 years. I find that if I want to sit and take my time, then I am knitting. If I want it done quickly (or it's a big project) then crocheting is the way to go for me!

I have found that I can't read patterns by first glance. I have to study them over and over again until it sinks into my head. But I also think that has something to do with my learning disability.....

KnittinMitchie
01-11-2008, 06:53 PM
My mother is a long time crocheter, like 20+ yrs. Since I am left handed my Aunt taught me to crochet the basics at like the age of 12 or so. I never really got into that much as a teen.
18 months ago decided I wanted to learn to knit and did do by learning from a book. Once I mastered knit and purl I was off and running. Then I was introduced to KH and Amy's videos helped some of the finer points click.
Once I got rolling on knitting I found that some patterns wanted you to crochet an edge. Well that skill was one that I had but needed a refresher course. So I picked up the crochet set that was like my knitting set I had and went to town refreshing my self.
I can honestly say my knitting skills are intermediate and my crochet skills are not quite beginner but I'm not to the intermediate point either. If I crochet is usually something like a doily, toys, or granny squares to make an afghan.

OffJumpsJack
01-17-2008, 02:10 PM
My mom taught me to crochet (her preference) and to knit (her bain). She had a lot of trouble knitting and showing me how to knit, but she is a master at crochet. I do prefer to crochet, simply because it has more varriety of stitches. I came here to KH to re-learn how to knit.

Since I learned to crochet first, I hold the yarn in my left hand and continued that practice for knitting. I was also captivated by the "knitting back" vid. It makes perfect sense to be ambidextrous with knitting, but most every one I see stops, holds the needles with one hand, and then wraps with the other hand.

I find crochet easier but I think that may be because my only set of knitting needles (size 10?) got broken. :think: Or that I don't have any knitting patterns. :sad:

But I definately find knitting takes more attention to the needle points or else "jack" ends up falling off the needle too quickly. :

--Jack :guyknitting:

kelchris3
01-17-2008, 11:51 PM
I knit and crochet. I have crocheted since I was about 13. Was taught by my Aunt. Who only crocheted. No one in my family knits. I took knitting lessons years ago. I could do it but I literally ground my teeth while doing it. Gave it up. A few years ago I picked it back up I've survived kids and have a teenager now so I thought I am not gonna let knitting scare me this time. LOL Now I love it. Of course one of the main things I wanted to learn was socks. Which I've now made over 20 pairs. Crocheting is quicker but for garments and socks I prefer knitting. Crocheting I will try just about any pattern. Knitting I'm still a scaredy cat. I have a few items I make over and over. LOL I have promised myself though I will branch out. I have started a poncho now and I'm on the back side. Woot Woot.

damabeth
04-15-2008, 08:22 AM
My aunt taught me to crochet at 8. I just taught myself to knit. I lust after knitted socks and sweaters. :roflhard:
I'm told that i knit like a crocheter! :)
I don't have any problem reading patterns and this site helps with technique.
I doubt I'll ever be a fast knitter. Or ever be able to "zone knit", like i do crochet.

grandma

Inis
04-16-2008, 12:03 PM
I like both -- I like the fabric knitting creates. But love, love lacy crochet.

My mother taught me to crochet when I was in elementary school -- a long, long time ago :) So, crochet does come easier in terms of understanding what is going on in a pattern.

She attempted to teach me to knit at the same time, but it just wouldn't take.

I began watching Knitty Gritty -- and watched for about a year before picking up needles. It came much easier than I thought it would. I've been knitting about 3 years now.

salos
04-23-2008, 02:25 PM
My loves are machine knitting, then crochet, then hand knitting. The logic, you can see, is "What is fastest?" My husband is so thrilled when people give me yarn. :happydance:

Crochet, though, is harder on my hands. To me the biggest advantage of hand knitting is making cables, which I love. The biggest advantage of crochet is that it's so easy to get squares the right size.