PDA

View Full Version : If You Could ONLY Knit With One Yarn........Which Yarn Would it Be???????

Arielluria
09-28-2007, 10:03 AM
If I could only eat ONE type of food for the rest of my life, it would be Italian ;)..so I wondered........if you could only knit with one type of yarn for the rest of your life, which would it be?????????

You can be as general or specific as you like.........something like "chenille" or "malabrigo" or "merino" or "novelty yarn", or "KnitPics Essential Sock Yarn", "Red Heart":teehee:, etc.

I can't really vote since I have YET to have the pleasure of touching some malabrigo, merino, etc. Chenille was nice, it's so soft.

hortonx5
09-28-2007, 10:40 AM
That's a hard question to answer. Being general, I would say "wool" since I love all things wool. But since I have yet to find the perfect wool yarn, if I had to be specific, I'd say Lion Brand Homespun. (Even though it's not wool, lol) It's just so soft and thick...I can't stop touching it.

zkimom
09-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Hand dyed Cashmere. Lots of it. Enough to roll nekked in.

:inlove:

Mulderknitter
09-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Malabrigo. no question. :roflhard:

Arielluria
09-28-2007, 11:04 AM
So.......what exactly IS Malabrigo???? I just realized I don't know. I can figure Merino is wool.......:teehee:

mwhite
09-28-2007, 11:09 AM
I love cottons and cotton blends! Haven't tried silk yet, so it may become a favorite.

Arielluria
09-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I love cottons and cotton blends! Haven't tried silk yet, so it may become a favorite.:waving:........well are you QUITE CONTRARY?!? :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:
[inside joke]
:hug:

wandersfar
09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Silk. Lots and lots of beautiful, radiant silk.

GinnyG
09-28-2007, 12:50 PM
ANY yarn by Schaefer:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

knitncook
09-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Bamboo sock yarn. It feels so good in my hands and knits up so scrunchiously!!

mwhite
09-28-2007, 01:54 PM
:waving:........well are you QUITE CONTRARY?!? :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:
[inside joke]
:hug:

Why yes!! You know I am!!! :mrgreen:

Sissy
09-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Wow, Right now I would say Plymouth Suri Merino. I am going a cardigan in it right now, its soft and wonderful. Its only $5.00 a skein , so thats great.........Sissy:teehee:

Jadzia81
09-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Well, if I could choose ANY yarn and magically be able to shoulder the cost, it would definitely be cashmere. There are some really nice specimens at my LYS and I'm about to finally treat myself to something I knit (for once) and make a nice hat.

Realistically, Merino Style from Knitpicks. You can't beat the quality or color selection for the price and I have had great success combining strands for a bulkier feel.

MrsDavis3
09-28-2007, 04:31 PM
So this is like I'm boarding a spaceship to escape the earth which all the stupid men have brought to ruin and I only have a few minutes to choose ONLY ONE KIND yarn from my stash before the bus for the launch pad drives off?

...I'm just going to have to grab all of my Noro Cash Iroha...silk, lamb's wool, cashmere, and a teensy bit of nylon...it's soft, but springy, drapes beautifully and practically knits itself.

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Socks that Rock, hands down. Malabrigo brings up a near second.

DQ
09-28-2007, 05:00 PM
I've not tried it yet but I've heard good things about Bamboo so I'll say that...ANY bamboo yarn! (that should give me lots of choice :teehee: ) Out of the yarns I've tried...which is not a lot at all :oops: ...the cotton has been my favourite.

ArtLady1981
09-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Merino Wool! :thumbsup:

Arielluria
09-28-2007, 05:08 PM
I've not tried it yet but I've heard good things about Bamboo so I'll say that...ANY bamboo yarn! (that should give me lots of choice :teehee: ) Out of the yarns I've tried...which is not a lot at all :oops: ...the cotton has been my favourite.I've been meaning to ask..........stupid question I guess, but what IS bamboo yarn? Is it actually made from bamboo? :shock:
:whoosh:

DQ
09-28-2007, 06:21 PM
I've been meaning to ask..........stupid question I guess, but what IS bamboo yarn? Is it actually made from bamboo? :shock:
:whoosh:

http://knitting.about.com/od/yarn/a/bamboo_yarn.htm

:mrgreen:

Songbirdy
09-28-2007, 07:22 PM
I've just recently moved to a place where there are more 'artsy' yarn stores.

So of my past experience I'd say Paton's Astra. It has a large range of colours and selections, perfect for my children to wear and wash, and I can knit it up in so many different ways.

But I just tried some good cotton yarn... and I'd say I really like this stuff but I have yet to see how it washes up, or how it wears as I used it for Baby gifts. The stuff I'm loving right now is:

Filati Fantasia Carrezza 100% cotton.

I really lucked out because I caught the end of summer sale and each of the baby sweaters cost me $2 in yarn, and what a great yarn it is! :yay::yay::yay:

gingerbread
09-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Love Merino Woolcloud9

Neveen
09-29-2007, 08:12 AM
i don't know much about yarn, wool..:shrug:
but when i go to buy new wool, i choose the thick and soft ones
thick, so i can finish faster, soft, so it won't scratch my skin because i'm "sensitive to wool":pout:

mwedzi
09-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Karabella Aurora 8.

SusanMarie1956
09-29-2007, 11:18 AM
MISTI BABY ALPACA!!! cloud9 :knitting:

MrsDavis3
09-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Socks that Rock, hands down. Malabrigo brings up a near second.

I didn't even know "Socks That Rock" was a type of yarn.
I thought it was a book of sock patterns.

pauly81
09-29-2007, 11:29 PM
something chunky and verigated

Jen17
09-30-2007, 12:03 AM
If I could only eat ONE type of food for the rest of my life, it would be Italian ;)..so I wondered........if you could only knit with one type of yarn for the rest of your life, which would it be?????????

You can be as general or specific as you like.........something like "chenille" or "malabrigo" or "merino" or "novelty yarn", or "KnitPics Essential Sock Yarn", "Red Heart":teehee:, etc.

I can't really vote since I have YET to have the pleasure of touching some malabrigo, merino, etc. Chenille was nice, it's so soft.

It would be the hand spun 100% alpaca from the alpaca farm I found 5 miles from my house today:woohoo:
It is $40.00 a skein sooooooooo. otherwise one of my favorites is Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino.
Jen

Lieke
09-30-2007, 03:06 AM
That would definitely be silkblends. My favorite yarn till now was lana grossa new cotton seta, which is a silk blend. so smooth and so soft.

Jennmarie68
09-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Lion Brand Homespun... Hands down....

It's so soft, I've made just about everything in it. Doesn't work so well for wash cloths and things like that, but I've got sweaters, scarves, blankets, pillows all made out of that.

The chenelle is nice, but it's too expensive for my personal stuff, my dogs have an issue with chewing holes in my throw blankets....

Prazzie
09-30-2007, 07:14 AM
So.......what exactly IS Malabrigo???? I just realized I don't know. I can figure Merino is wool.......:teehee:

Malabrigo is a super soft merino wool. I assume you've been to their site (http://www.malabrigoyarn.com/yarn.html) to perv over it? That takes you straight to the yarn section, clicking on the yarn type tabs should take you straight into heaven. I clicked on it and am now almost crying over ALL THE YARN I DON'T HAVE! :shock:

threesmom
09-30-2007, 05:09 PM
:psst:I admit it: I am helpless when it comes to malabrigo. It was my first merino, it spoiled me. I knit with lots of things that I say - I love this! - and I do, but when I sit down with mmm ... it's like coming home. I love the colors, the softness, the single ply ....

Mulderknitter
09-30-2007, 09:14 PM
I have to give a second thumbs up to my malabrigo choice. I just started knitting DH a scarf in the malabrigo chunky and hand't worked with it for a while. The buttery soft feel is so nice on the hands after working with scratchier acrylics. The yarn just FLOWS through your hands.
The only downside to malabrigo I have is the vinegar smell. I understand that the vinegar is used to stop the dyeing process, but the smell that is left is a bit smarting to the nose. On the positive side, I have found that while working it with your hands and needles in your home that has it's own smells, it goes away relatively quickly.

booskibabe
10-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Well, if I had to choose based on what I've used in the past, it would be Bernat Bamboo. I used it to make a scarf and couldn't stop caressing the stuff. It's soooooo silky soft.
Something I haven't tried but long to is some really good cashmere or malabrigio. I could definately live with only knitting with cashmere! LOL