PDA

View Full Version : little knitting class

MerigoldinWA
09-28-2007, 12:17 PM
I just have to share how my new knitting class went yesterday. A teenage girl who home schools lives across the street, and about the end of last school year I called her and asked if she was interested in learning to knit. She said she was, but she would be too busy to take it up over the summer and she'd like to try it in the fall. So I contacted her a couple of weeks ago. She was still up for it, and asked if a friend could come. So I had two. Then when I got there yesterday the mother joined us so I had three. :cheering:

They are a great group. Both the girls are home schooled (we home schooled our kids) and are very comfortable with adults, so we just had a ball. All three of them had had a little experience with crocheting, for which I was very thankful because I was hoping to teach the Continental method.

I had two sets of needles set up with a few rows already done in garter stitch (cause I thought I had 2 students) and started them right off with the knit stitch. They all got it. :thumbsup:

My intention was to knit a little then take it off and learn to cast-on, knit a little more and then learn to bind off, end of lesson one. But they wanted to learn to purl and got that too, and were doing ribbing as well. We also did cast-on, bind off and they were all gung-ho.

I had gone over a week or so ago and shown the one girl a bag of my finished objects. I asked them if they would like to see some of what I showed her. They all wanted to see, so I crossed the street and got 3 bags of FOs, some are hats my DH made. They oooed and ahhhhed and were saying they wanted to make that, and that, and that.

We spent 4 hours together and they didn't want to quit, but had to. We're all looking forward to our next session together. It was so fun.:woot:

They all commented when we were doing the cast-on that they were glad I had started them on the knit stitch first, and then gone back to cast-on. I thought it would help, and also didn't want the very first row they knit to be from a cast-on row, since that is a little harder. :)

This is a little long, and if you read it...thanks.

stirsmommy
09-28-2007, 12:24 PM
That is so cool. I wish we knew enough homeschoolers in our area to put together a little knitting group. Ok dd was just sitting and looking over my shoulder and says since she and her brother knit we are a group. I stand corrected!

marykz
09-28-2007, 12:48 PM
what a great story!! I'm so glad you had such an enthusiastic group and it sounds like you are a very good teacher.

raederle
09-28-2007, 07:51 PM
MerigoldinWA - I think you are totally right that it is so much easier to learn to knit from a piece already going. I thought about casting on for the folks I taught, but I was having them bring their needles that day, so decided against it. It would have been even better to have several rows of garter stitch done, too, as that first row is the hardest to knit, for anyone.

I think if I ever teach knitting again, I'll start a few rows on some pencils, then slip the work onto the needles they bring. That would work so much better!

Thanks for being inspiring!!!

e

AnotherBecca
09-28-2007, 10:37 PM
For my knitting club (3rd-6th graders) at school, I'll be casting on for them! Glad to hear it was so successful for you! I ordered 20 pairs of needles (and later found out I have 23 students!) and I'll just start casting on once they arrive. If they have their own needles in the same size and want to use them instead, I'll have them drop them by my classroom sometime before our first meeting.

kaytee
09-28-2007, 10:45 PM
That sounds so awesome! I'm glad more younger people are getting into knitting.

Jan in CA
09-29-2007, 12:29 PM
That's great! More new knitters! Yeah!

Songbirdy
09-29-2007, 12:37 PM
yay! I find it soo much fun to teach knitting. And I agree, teaching from a partially knitted piece is much easier. You get the tension right for them so they can feel what it should feel like, and you get them into a rhythm. That really boosts their "I like this" factor!

Way To GO Madame Teacher!!!

[oh, and since it seems to be a theme, I homeschool my son(8 years old) and daughter (6)]

Debkcs
09-29-2007, 12:41 PM
What a great idea to start them out on the knit stitch. That first row of casted on stitches is still hard for me, and can be very discouraging to a newbie.

(Home schooled kids do seem to be much more at home with adults than others, we home schooled ours, also.)

MerigoldinWA
09-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm thinking of teaching them about increases and decreases this week. They are fast learners and want the big bite, so I may teach several and make them a handout that can remind them how to do the different ones. They are all working on a scarf this week, however they want to make it, with garter and each end and on the edges and stockinette in the middle. I haven't gotten any visits for fixing any problems so I hope they are all doing fine. I need to have another project in mind too.

stirsmommy
09-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Dd's teacher loved that she too took to knitting quickly. To make a project out all of the different things she made a cell phone holder. It had ribbing, lace and other stitches. It was a quick knit and she learned to seam it as well. It also looked so cool her friends all asked her to make one for them. It is on her list of gifts to make this year for friends.

lestrella
10-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm so glad I found this thread as I'm starting my knitting club at school this Thursday. Thanks for the tip about starting them with the knit stitch instead of casting on. That's a great idea! I better start casting on now since I have 17 students on the club and 15 on a waiting list. I'm thinking about starting them with a bookmark on our first lesson.

This is my first time teaching knitting, so any ideas are greatly appreciate it.

:hug:

samm
10-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the idea! I'm giving my next door neighbour a sock kit for Christmas because she's never used dpns. I found a neat little sock sized project bag, and will include yarn and needles and a pattern. I was considering casting on and knitting a few rows so she can just get used to the knitting before having to do that co and don't twist and awkward first row or so!!! At least it is for me..... :aww: Now I know that's a good idea, and I'm hoping to get another sock addict underway in December. :woohoo:samm