PDA

View Full Version : Question about how I am joining a new color.

Jennmarie68
09-30-2007, 02:20 AM
Ok, I've watched the videos on here about joining new color yarn, but I wanted to try something, and so far it seems to be working, I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and if so what results they are getting.

I'm making a scarf with blocks of color, so I'm joining at the begining of a row. What I'm doing is 4 or 5 stiched before the end of the row I wrap my yarn around my needle a few times to get a length than I double the yarn and knit the last few stitches with two strands. This leaves a loop at the end. So at the last stitch I use a small crochet hook and wrap the loop around it and then put my knitting needle into the last stitch, then I take the yarn that's on the crochet hook and wrap it over the knitting needle so the loop from the two yarn strands is on the knitting needle. Then I finish the stitch. This leaves no yarn hanging down, then I turn my work and knit like regular again.

I'm finding that it's a little easier, for me anyway. But what I guess I'm really asking is, Is this making a strong enough connection to keep the join from unraveling and coming undone. So far I haven't had any trouble, but I'm still knitting and haven't washed the item yet. Has anyone else tried joing a new color this way?

I'm not sure if how I explained it makes any sense, if I had a way to make a video of it and upload it I would. But I don't have a way to do that.

Thank you for any help you can give. If I can think of a way to explain it better I'll post it, but that's the best way I can think to explain it.

-Jennifer

Gray
09-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Jennifer I too have a color problem. Take a look at mine http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=66841
Your ?
In the past I have used a similar method for adding new yarn but i use both ends together on the new row from the 2nd St for 2 or 3 Sts then on the way back over I use Both strands for one stitch continue to end. There is a little tail but I weave it in and know should the weaving unravel the double knitted end worked over 2 or 3 rows will not.

You could add a longer tail Keep what you are doing and weave a little just to make sure.
Somehow I think you method will pull right out.

redwitch
10-01-2007, 05:28 AM
What you are doing is fine in principle, but depending on your wool you might not be doing it for quite enough stitches. 3 stitches is the minimum I would do that in, and even then only in a non-superwash fuzzy wool. In a smooth slippery wool I would do it for a few more stitches.

So I recommend you leave enough of an end to weave in with both colours as well, for a few stitches, or you might like to check out the Russian join.

Jennmarie68
10-01-2007, 05:33 AM
I'm just using Red Heart Super Saver. So it's acryllic, but I have been leaving quite a bit of a tail, I haven't gone back and weaved them in yet, but I'm almost done.... This one is taking forever for some reason.

I'll have to upload a picture when it's done, I think it looks pretty good, but then again it's nothing special just garter stitch. I'm going to make some mittens to match.