PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been to Old Navy lately? (not OT)

cookworm
10-01-2007, 07:51 AM
I heard on one of their ads that they got in some Fair Isle Sweaters (http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/category.do?cid=37473&pageID=-1), so I went to check them out. They got Fair Isle, as well as some AWESOME cabled (http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/search.do?searchDivName=&searchText=cable&submit.x=16&submit.y=3) stuff in too--sweaters (the sweater was cute, but probably not for my figure :verysad:), dresses, scarves. As a knitter, I have such a deeper appreciation for these things now! :teehee:

dustinac
10-01-2007, 08:11 AM
I've seen the ads and love the sweaters...I also love the cabled bags they have...first I was like ohhh I should try to make that but after seeing their prices be better to just buy it from them...plus I know I'd never get any of it made and the yarn would just sit here :teehee:

cookworm
10-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Yes, after seeing their prices (under $40 for most of these sweaters), I felt that it would be--:shock: knitting blasphemy!--tempting to buy some of these things rather than make them. They even have cabled shoes (for under $20!) on their website which would be so cute (along with that cabled bag!) to wear with a cabled sweater! If I were to make it, the cost of the yarn alone would be more than buying the whole garment, but then, I don't have the satisfaction of knowing I made it. Well, maybe in this one case, I could be "lazy" and just buy some stuff.....! My mom bought me a sweater for Christmas yesterday that was 70% cotton and 30% wool--all natural fibers!--for under $40!!! :happydance:

knitgal
10-01-2007, 11:38 AM
OMG! I'm in love with that cable bag....And those cable flats! I have a cable obssession right now and I don't think I could EVER make cable shoes (and definitely not for $20!). Okay...Old Navy trip is necessary!!!

sinistral_needler
10-01-2007, 11:40 AM
That is one of the things I struggle with - unless I were to use low quality yarn, I cannot make the beautiful sweaters that I see in the stores for what it costs to purchase them .. the yarn alone is usually more expensive .. :hair::hair::hair:

Viva mass production! :ick::ick::ick::ick::ick:

Jan in CA
10-01-2007, 11:56 AM
I've seen the ad and have been trying to figure out how to make what appears to be a sideways knit fair isle. It may be some sort of fair isle/ intarsia combo thing, but I haven't seen them in person.

As for making them or buying them? Well.. certainly if you want a bunch of them then buying is probably the way to go. However, I'd much rather have one I made.

mwedzi
10-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Lots of nice things. There seems to be more cabled selections in plus sizes than in smaller sizes? Hmm. I actually love that knit kimono, but don't think I saw it in a smaller size.

Yes, in many ways it's more practical to buy sweaters. I mean, how many sweaters do you wear in the winter? I'm in Chicago and wear a lot. Now, how many sweaters can you knit in a winter?

Boogs
10-01-2007, 01:20 PM
:pout: Oh how I miss Old Navy!!!

I'd be over to the store like a shot if I still lived in the US. :drool:

booskibabe
10-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Mmmmmm I love their new knits collection! :inlove: Especially the cabled bag and shoes - I don't think I could make that (the bag) for what it costs at ON.:cheering:

Jitendra
10-01-2007, 11:36 PM
I used to work there. Their stuff is so cheap that I would advise people to check the seams thoroughly before buying. I would also recommend that people who fit in the category of extreme sizes (XXS and XXL) could probably risk not buying for a few weeks because these sizes are always left over when the prices drop at the end of the season.