PDA

View Full Version : how to dye yarn

cdjack
10-01-2007, 10:13 AM
My dh just got back from Ann Arbor, MI and brought the MOST beautiful Malabrigo kettle dyed blue yarn that I have ever seen. :inlove:
OK, so the malabrigo wasn't his idea (thanks Paige at Busy Hands on Main St.), but the yarn gift was his idea.
Anyway, I want to dye my own yarn. How can I be happy with just uniform factory dyed yarn now? ;)
I 've been reading all the posts to get ideas.
I've also read the Knit Picks tutorial. For monetary reasons, I better start out with Kool-Aid. Sorry this is so long... My question is how to I get my yarn to be variegated shades of the same color? I guess I make it into a hank?

jeanius80
10-01-2007, 01:14 PM
you want your yarn in a hank, and you'll need to tie it (very loosely) in a few places to keep it from tangling. use undyed/light colored cotton yarn.
you'll need to soak your yarn in warm water. i like to add some white vinegar. it's not necessary though.
while yarn is soaking, prepare your dye. Kool-aid just needs water. I would mix two or three concentrations. say, 1 pack, then 3, then 5. the single would be your base color. add it to your dye pot.stir it and then add your yarn.
after the dye exhausts, take medium mix, and pour it on the yarn.you want it to take unevenly, to get a tonal effect.
repeat with the third, strongest solution. you can also use different, neighboring colors to get more colors. light a blue, green and yellow. red, blue, purple. pink, red, yellow.anyhow. thats what *I* would do. HTH :)

cdjack
10-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks for replying to my post! :)
Just one more question... I'll probably have lots of questions, but I think trial and error is the way to go. Mistakes can turn out to be wonderful... serendipity?
Anyway, about how much water should I add to the stronger concentrations of Kool Aid?
Oh, one more question, should I wash my yarn before dying it?
Thanks again Jeanius80.

jeanius80
10-01-2007, 01:40 PM
i wouldn't wash it first. I would make each mix in 1 cup of hot water, a little more would be ok too. and you'll want your dye pot water to just cover the yarn.

cdjack
10-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Thank you.

Now, off I go to buy Kool Aid! :happydance: