PDA

View Full Version : Cute Baby Hats - With a Question too!

larudden
10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/newbaby-hats.html

I'm getting ready to crochet 20 baby hats for some young, single moms who will be coming to our church with their newborns on November 1. I've been searching for some hat patternss that don't have a zillion rows but aren't your "basic" hats. This link has three hats that are soooooooo cute. I'll think I'll try them all.

Have a Blessed Day!

larudden
10-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Oh gosh! Now that I've said the EASY word, I have a question:

This is the pattern for the hat I want to make first:

BABY GIRL'S SHELL HAT - Copyright 2000 - Sandra Huffines
Full Term: Sport yarn; J hook
Shell (sh): 5dc in next st.
HAT
Rnd 1: Ch 6, join, work 12 dc into ring, join.
Rnd 2: 2 dc in ea dc around, join. (24 dc)
Rnd 3: *Shell in next st, sk 1 st, sc in next st, sk 1 st; rpt from * around, join.
Rnd 4: *Sc in middle of next shell, make shell in next sc; rpt from * around, join.
Rnd 5-7: Rpt Row 3-4.
Rnd 8: *Shell in sc, ch 1, sc in 2nd dc of next sh, ch 1, sc in 4th dc of same sh, ch1; rpt from * around, join.
Rnd 9: Ch1, *sc in middle of sh, sh in next ch-1 sp, sc in next ch-1 sp, sh in next ch-1 sp; rpt from * around, join. Fasten off.

I just noticed that there are no chains at the beginning of the rows sooooooo, when I join, what stitch am I joining into? This is the same for all three patterns. I'm used to having a ch 2 and then joining the round into that chain.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I wish I knew these answers because I'm SURE it's REALLY easy.

Thanks.

Phretys
10-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm guessing they're assuming you know to chain for the first stitch in the beginning of each row/round. I can see how that would throw anyone off by leaving that bit out, though.

In general, it's
ch 1 for sc
ch 2 for hdc
ch 3 for dc

Debi

larudden
10-01-2007, 01:21 PM
See? I knew it was easy. UGH!

OK, just so I get this right: When I go to do the shell row, I'll ch 3 and that will count as one of the dc's of the 5 that make the shell.

Am I gettin' this?

PamJ
10-02-2007, 10:38 AM
That sounds right, Leslie. Thanks for posting these patterns. I have some leftover Softee, and it will be fun to make these. If you can, show us your hats when you finish. I'm always so inspired when I see what everyone is making.