PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Mission/Knitting for Homeless (update on pg 4)

suziehomemaker
10-02-2007, 09:09 AM
After seeing the Warm Up America thread I contacted our local Rescue Mission that helps the homeless in my area (Syracuse, NY). I asked to see what they needed for hand-knit items and the lady I spoke with said just manly hats. They do get hats from people but the guys don't necessary like wearing things that are pink!

So here's the website:
http://www.rmsyr.org/Home/Main_Page.htm

Feel free to mail your hats to me directly (PM me for my address) and I'll drop them off to her sometime before Christmas. I think a deadline of Nov 30th would work since I can plan to drop them off during the beginning of December. Any adult sized hats knit up in manly colors would work but I would prefer to give them something that could be machine washable.

Personally, I have a stash of Wool-Ease in manly colors that would work perfect for this. Now I just need to finish all of my WIPs and get started.

karne
10-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I'll make a hat for you :) Sending a PM right now!

suziehomemaker
10-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Thank you so much! I just sent you my address!

I went through and added a bunch of patterns in Ravelry to my Queue for this based on the yarn I have in my stash (Wool-Ease sport weight). I can't wait to get started!

suziehomemaker
10-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Well, I casted on a hat last night using my stash of Wool-Ease sport weight yarn. I even had my Father approve the pattern and yarn before starting. I'm using the Basic Hat pattern from the 2006 Pattern A Day Calendar. I thought I'd keep it simple for this first one since it's been ages since I knit a hat. I'm sure the next one will have some funky cables on it . . .

karne
10-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I mailed my hat today. I used the Toboggan Hat pattern from Lion Brand yarn, and I used Wool Ease too! It was easy and fast.
I had my husband try it on this morning to make sure it would fit, and it was great!

suziehomemaker
10-10-2007, 02:31 PM
That's great! I'll let you know as soon as I get it.

Thanks again!

:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:

suziehomemaker
10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
karne - I received your hat this weekend. Thanks again!

Here's my WIP picture of my hat. I should be able to get it done within the next week or so. I'm heading out of the country for a few days but I should be able to work on it when I get back.

I'm hoping to get this done before we get any snow and the cold weather really sets in.

Jan in CA
10-17-2007, 01:16 AM
I've got several hats that I can send. I sent you a PM. ;)

Shandeh
10-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Hats are quick and easy! I'll join!

suziehomemaker
10-17-2007, 08:18 AM
That's wonderful! Thanks so much!

suziehomemaker
10-30-2007, 01:29 PM
I receive 3 hats from victoria arms today!
:cheering: :cheering:

Not including my own hats still in progress, we now have 4 manly hats to donate! My husband was nice enough to model them so I could take fun pictures.

He suggested that I take whatever hats that I have down on Nov 15th but then remove any deadline and just drop them off once a month as we get more. That way we can continue to spread the love (and warmth) all year long!

Feel free to PM me for my address if you have any hats to send.

Shandeh
10-30-2007, 02:33 PM
I have a HUGE hat I knit that is too big for me or my hubby, so I think I'll send that. There's probably someone out there with lots of hair and a big head. :teehee:

suziehomemaker
10-30-2007, 03:04 PM
That's exactly why I wanted my DH to try them on. His his mellon of a head is just huge but he has no hair (by choice). I figure if they can stretch to fit his head then they should be perfect for the average guy.

When I drop off these hats next month I'll double check to see if they need any other items. I thought it was very cool that she knew exactly what they needed most. I love requests!

Jan in CA
10-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Crap! I forgot to mail them! I'll try to get them out tomorrow!

suziehomemaker
10-30-2007, 04:58 PM
No problem! PM me if you need my address again.

Jan in CA
10-30-2007, 05:47 PM
I still have the address. Got these 8 hats together for a picture... are they manly enough or should I leave some out?

Shandeh
10-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Very nice, Jan! :inlove:

Here's a photo of our too-big hat. :teehee:

Shandeh
10-30-2007, 09:22 PM
:roflhard: Sorry.....I forgot what size I was supposed to make the photo, and made it 50 pixels wide. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Hopefully, you can see this one:

suziehomemaker
10-31-2007, 08:51 AM
They all look perfect! Thanks so much! Our Rescue Mission is going to be so thankful for these!

suziehomemaker
11-02-2007, 09:25 AM
You all inspired me to finish my hat! Here it is being modeled by my handsome and very manly husband.

Shandeh
11-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Nice job! :thumbsup:

suziehomemaker
11-12-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm thinking about dropping off the hats next week on Monday or Tuesday to the Rescue Mission. Any last minute packages that I should wait for?

Shandeh
11-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm mailing mine tomorrow!

suziehomemaker
11-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Shandeh - I got your hat today in the mail.

DH and I were getting a little slap happy this afternoon so you'll have to excuse the pictures. He did say that this one was on the large size (he does have a mega-noggin to begin with) but if you had hair it would be comfy.

I will drop all of the hats of on one of my days off next week but feel free to continue to send me hats. I'm sure they'll really appreciate them even more as it gets colder!

suziehomemaker
11-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Weird - pictures didn't come through that time. Let me try again . . .

Jan in CA
11-16-2007, 02:30 PM
:roflhard: I have them in a box ready to go.. I'll be mailing them today.

suziehomemaker
11-16-2007, 02:34 PM
He's such a dork sometimes!

Anyway, I'll wait until I receive your package Jan and then I'll just make one trip. Thanks again!

Jan in CA
11-16-2007, 06:33 PM
It's mailed! I sent it priority so it should be just a couple days.

suziehomemaker
11-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Jan - I got your hats in the mail today. I haven't had a chance to open the box yet but everything looks ok so far. Thanks again!

I'll call the lady from Rescue Mission and arrange a time to drop them off tomorrow. YEAH!!!

:woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo:

Jan in CA
11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm so glad it got there safely! :woohoo:

Shandeh
11-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Yay! I'm glad you got the "MONDO" hat! :teehee:

Your hubby is a good, fun, hat model. :rofl:

suziehomemaker
11-20-2007, 11:14 AM
DH was feeling really shy this morning but he agreed to model his 3 favorite hats (in no particular order) from Jan in CA. I heard back from Gina at the Rescue Mission and she's going to meet me around noon to drop off the hats. So exciting!

suziehomemaker
11-20-2007, 04:40 PM
This is from Gina at Rescue Mission:

Thank you!!!

She asked me for an address to send a thank you note and I told her to just save the postage since we're all over the country. This is her "big thank you" that she asked me to pass along.

Jan in CA
11-20-2007, 05:51 PM
That's great that the hats fit your DH. I'm glad he liked them. :cheering:

How many hats did you end up with?

lelvsdgs
11-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Is this a year round thing? I would love to contribute but obviously am too late for now. I could start for the next collection period if they are still needed.

Shandeh
11-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Here's my big
YOU'RE WELCOME!!!!
:)

suziehomemaker
11-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Is this a year round thing? I would love to contribute but obviously am too late for now. I could start for the next collection period if they are still needed.

I don't know so I emailed Gina at the Rescue Mission to find out. I'll let y'all know as soon as I hear back on their specific needs.

suziehomemaker
11-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Gina replied that they need socks, underwear and t-shirts for men at this time. I've never knit underwear before so I'm just going to assume that being knitters we can help out with socks.

So if anyone would like to knit up some manly socks for the homeless men in the Central NY area feel free to PM me for my address.