PDA

View Full Version : 4 vs. 5 dpns

dturner
10-02-2007, 11:56 PM
I am making coasters with the pattern that is posted on this site. The directions say to use five dpns, dividing 8 CO stitches between four needles. Is there any reason that I couldn't use four needles instead? Do you have to have the same number of stitches on each needle? I can't see any logical reason why it wouldn't work with either 4 or 5 needles, but I am a beginner so I really don't know!

Thanks,
Dottie

suzeeq
10-03-2007, 12:05 AM
It could be that you make incs at the ends of each needle, but you could use st markers instead. Just place them every 2 sts.

Silver
10-03-2007, 07:19 AM
You can use either 4 or 5 needles. Doesn't matter at all. Only you need to make sure you're staying in pattern as the pattern is written as if the stitches are divided onto 4 needles instead of 3. It's just mathematically easier if the stitches are divided evenly onto 4 needles, but so long as you pay attention, there's no reason you can't leave out that last needle. :thumbsup:

dturner
10-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks so much for your help. I think I'll try using five needles. I finally got the hang of knitting with four needles, so maybe I can learn to handle five needles!