PDA

View Full Version : Round crochet

Nichan
10-03-2007, 09:28 AM
hi...
i've been searching all tutorial and only found 1 about this and this is for double crochet, while i need for sc...

i also tried many ways to crochet round shape and still, i have this on my projects: a seen-starting-line...it's ugly...

i wonder how to do this round crochet...

here's the question:

after you slip stitch the single crochets in one magic loop to form all sc into a circle and then make 1 chain, where should i put in the crochet hook? right on the very first stitch (under the chain) or the next stitch of that very first stitch?

i also counted that everytime i made let's say 6 stitch, after i did slip stitch to make circle, seems like there were 7 stitch now...it's confusing...

last time i crocheted, i did this (it's only one of many ways i've tried):
i put in my hook on the very first stitch under the chain i made then do sc as usual; i passed like one stitch (that mysteri additional 1 stitch) when i was about to join sc with slip stitch...so the count is right but i hate when i see the line...

i hope you really understand what i mean...i'm desperate here...i thought i tried every ways but that beginning-line still appears...help...

thanks

MMario
10-03-2007, 09:39 AM
What I've always done is slip stitch the circle closed, then chain one, and make my next stitch in the SECOND stitch of the circle. The chain one forms your first stitch of the next round.

letah75
10-03-2007, 11:45 AM
here (http://craftydaisies.com/2007/05/29/learn-to-crochet-lesson-2/) is a tutorial that has pictures and worded instructions. I think it's very good.

Nichan
10-03-2007, 07:13 PM
ah, i used to do this way too...i thought exactly the same of what you think but...the line is still seen on my projects...i'll try again this way...i think i made mistake on the last stitch right before slip stitch...

does your project show 'line'-like every beginning of round? it's quite seen...

thanks!

Riss
10-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Is it absolutely essential that your project be worked in finished off rounds or can you just work in the round and continue spiraling instead of adding in that chain to get up to the next row? When i'm working on a project that requires the chain up, yet in the round... sometimes I'll try it both ways, seeing if working it continuously will work just as easily...

Since you're working in single crochets, it'll be easier to disguise the last stitch at the very end by just doing a slip stitch into the next one. There will be a little bit of a bump, but I'd take the bump over a very noticable line in my work anyday :)

Nichan
10-05-2007, 01:46 AM
hmm...
i think i'm going to try join the stitches with sc...and add one sc...i'm very curious...

i just saw a project (stitch style) in a web...the line is noticable...this case can be normal...
but i'm curious...

Yarnlady
10-05-2007, 07:53 AM
The only way I've ever found (in almost 50 years of crocheting) to get rid of the line in round projects is to crochet in a spiral just like you knit in a spiral.

I mark the beginning of the round, crochet around adding increases just like the pattern calls for until I get around to the marker. The next stitch, the one in the stitch where the marker is, is the first stitch of the next round. It works whether you're crocheting flat or making a tube.

Can you share the pattern or a pic of a similar one? I could get a better idea of what you want to do.

Nichan
10-06-2007, 03:34 AM
The only way I've ever found (in almost 50 years of crocheting) to get rid of the line in round projects is to crochet in a spiral just like you knit in a spiral.

I mark the beginning of the round, crochet around adding increases just like the pattern calls for until I get around to the marker. The next stitch, the one in the stitch where the marker is, is the first stitch of the next round. It works whether you're crocheting flat or making a tube.

Can you share the pattern or a pic of a similar one? I could get a better idea of what you want to do.

whoaaaa???? 50 years of crocheting...i even just started a month ago...wow...

yes, i think i can share the picture...it's actually oval flat bottom of a small purse...i will take a picture and submit it here...wait a moment, please...

thanks

Nichan
10-06-2007, 03:50 AM
i hope the pictures are quite clear...

Nichan
10-06-2007, 03:54 AM
the line i'm talking about is seen on the left side (if you can see the beginning of the yarn...)...it's not the 'small' line on the right side; it's the first chains line...that's not the problem...

Yarnlady
10-06-2007, 08:48 AM
The line you're talking about, the chain 3 turn type is going to be there because a chain 3 looks different than a double crochet. Nature of the beast. Again, the only way I know how to get rid of it, is to knit in a spiral. :shrug:

DonnaS
10-06-2007, 09:38 AM

exactly what i do.... and no joining line:woot:

Nichan
10-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Hmm...seems like no joining line is the best way...i'll try it on my next project...
many thanks to all of you!
(^0^)

Riss
10-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Oh, I would definitely work that in the round! No one will know, and it'll look better in the long run. Just make sure your count stays right. I suggest using safety pins to count stitches if you have trouble remembering. :)