PDA

View Full Version : You know you're a knitter when...

Riss
10-04-2007, 12:11 AM
You've worn a little groove into your left thumb nail from helping your yarn off your left needle...

:mrgreen:

DreamWeaver
10-04-2007, 01:25 AM
:teehee:

You know you're a knitter when...

you'd rather go yarn shopping than clothes shopping
You stay up late at night because you have to do "just one more row"
You have said the words "just one more row"

scout52
10-04-2007, 01:52 AM
You know you are a knitter when

you go to the clothing store and see a sweater and think, hmm where can i find that pattern to knit that? instead of just buying the sweater.

ArtLady1981
10-04-2007, 01:54 AM
...when you have to clear knitting bags and pattern books off the "spare" sofa and out of the aisles around everything else to seat your "drop-by to see Mom" visitors! :aww:

Zvaella
10-04-2007, 02:34 AM
You know you are a knitter when

you go to the clothing store and see a sweater and think, hmm where can i find that pattern to knit that? instead of just buying the sweater.
I was going tos ay something similar;

... when you see someone on the street and you think "I have to knit her ___"
... when you find nitting needles under you on your couch, your bed, etc.
... when your stash grows faster than you knit!

jdee
10-04-2007, 03:00 AM
I agree with the one about enjoying yarn shopping more that clothes shopping.:teehee:

AnotherBecca
10-04-2007, 03:10 AM
when you have meetings at work and ask your colleague to let you copy her notes later so you can get some knitting done!
(guilty!)

Rorshach
10-04-2007, 04:00 AM
and you see a skein of mmmmmmalabrigo and drool.

msmelody
10-04-2007, 05:33 AM
When you ask someone you have never meet to go feel yarn, so you can have some idea of what it feels like.

Getting mad because eating, sleeping, and other things use the time you could be knitting.

Looking on the internet at 2am looking for a pattern that you just have to make. (this one looks and acts like me):happydance:

When your child's first word is knit. (DH not very happy about it either).

Silver
10-04-2007, 07:22 AM
When you have a argument with your husband about why $5000 speakers would be better used if sold off and spent on yarn. (I didn't win, he's keeping the speakers) :roll:

Or

When you get the words "Knit" & "Purl" permanently inked (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=67034&page=2) into your skin. :teehee:

CindyS
10-04-2007, 08:04 AM
I've been reading The Yarn Harlot's book "At Knit's End" this week, which I'm sure you know is full of little knitting homilies like this. One of them said something like, "You know you knit too much when you buy a pair of size 5mm needles with your yarn at the store, even though you have a hundred more just like it at home, so you can start the project on the way home on the bus." And all I could think was, "And you REALLY knit too much if you leave your car at the store and take the bus home so you can start your project quicker!"

Jax3303
10-04-2007, 08:35 AM
You fall asleep while knitting and wake up to find that your hands kept on knitting while you slept......

merryknitter
10-04-2007, 08:40 AM
You know you're a knitter when you go to Office Depot and ask for a "SKEIN" of paper!

Knitting_Guy
10-04-2007, 09:04 AM
When you meet a woman in a bar and ask her if you can check out the stitch pattern in her sweater. (done it)

HollyP
10-04-2007, 09:12 AM
someone is talking about the clap and you think oh did they knit a clapotis too?

kindermen
10-04-2007, 09:32 AM
You look forward to long car trips because you know you get to knit!!!!

MrsDavis3
10-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Dinner catches fire on the stove because UPS dropped off yarn.

Sissy
10-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Silver,
LUV the tattoo.I bet that hurt? :knitting:

Sharly
10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Just has this to happen!

You know you are a knitter when you type all words that should start with "n" with "kn"!

Jax3303
10-04-2007, 11:24 AM
You know you are a knitter when you type all words that should start with "n" with "kn"!

I do this all the freaking time!

Debkcs
10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
When you have a big enough stash that your cat has her kittens in it ~ they were sweet, but I wasn't :rofl:

dustinac
10-04-2007, 11:33 AM
You look forward to long car trips because you know you get to knit!!!!

:teehee: I love trips home now so I can knit...I get upset if dh wants to wait later in the evening so hopefully the kids sleep...this means I can't knit!! Unless I use a light that drives him crazy...

I haven't caught the stove on fire...but I have burned many dinners cause I thought it could wait till I finished what I was doing...

you know your a knitter:

when you start to dream about knitting...when you wake up you think hrmm I thought I finished this last night but then realize...it was just a dream...

Sharly
10-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Isn't it frustrating?!?!?! :lol:

SusanMarie1956
10-04-2007, 12:32 PM
You wake up at night and the blanket is in your hands becauase you have been making the motions of KNITTING The Bed Blanket that is on you.

( My husband always wakes me up by pulling his side of the blanekt back on him. Or says, " Your knitting the blanket in your sleep AGAIN. "...

Susan cloud9 :knitting:

letah75
10-04-2007, 12:54 PM
You have knitting projects for home, work, car, and significant other's car.

Your significant other reminds you to bring your knitting when you go on a long car ride, and knows just which project you'll bring depending on the length of the trip.

Your co-workers see you and don't say "hi" but instead greet you with "Knit one, purl two".

You have more than one blog, one for life and one for knitting.

You have a flickr/photobucket account that is just for your knitting pictures.

Your friends have to qualify, "Lets have dinner tonight and hang out.....but don't bring your knitting."

Riss
10-04-2007, 01:38 PM
You're watching tv and thinking.. OOh! That cable is so pretty.. gonna have to look that one up...

While walking thru the mall, you stop and touch all the sweaters you pass by on the racks...

You lay in bed at night, and instead of counting sheep, you're counting knit one.. purl one...

At the local fair, you stop by the petting zoo just to get closer to the wool.. i mean sheep... and alpacas :D

Sharly
10-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Riss! I love the fair one!!:lol:

Riss
10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
A very true story... I even took pictures of them :D

Sharly
10-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Awww! :) I have neighbors up the road who have sheep. We have never met (the neighbors, not the sheep), but I often imagine myself stopping by to ask for a teeny bit of roving to try to spin!!

I think we'll definitely have sheep one day. I also wondered if anyone has ever spun raw cotton? I couldn't find anything on the internet about that...maybe I need to make a thread here...

psquidy
10-04-2007, 02:26 PM
When you say "pattern"when youare trying to say recipe.
When the tips of your fingers are so calloused they don't blead if you cut them

threesmom
10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
You lay in bed at night, and instead of counting sheep, you're counting knit one.. purl one...

I do that! Only I don't count, I just watch the stitches until I fall asleep ...

How about: ... It takes you far, far, faaarrr longer to deliberate and pack your knitting for a trip than it does to pack everything else.

You start getting philosophical about the knitting, and try to get other non-knitters to understand, and they just say things like "Hon, are you talking about that knitted tube again?":gah:(it's an i-cord, a simple miracle, the whole so much more magical than the sum of its' parts.....!)

Or if you pick up the phone at work, identify yourself, and the person on the other end says something like "Beth? Oh, Beth, the short one, The One Who Knits."

And, you've actually caught yourself walking toward a perfect stranger, fingers outstretched, catching yourself just at the last moment before you began to fondle the sweater and peer at the stitches:roll:

PaperGirl
10-04-2007, 04:04 PM
When your DH gives up his favorite recliner so you can have the better light for your knitting while you watch TV together.

Jennmarie68
10-04-2007, 05:38 PM
This one just happened to me last night...

You know you're a knitter when you dream that you've gotten your invite to Ravelry and that you uploaded pictures of your stash and all you projects....

losnana
10-04-2007, 06:49 PM
You know you're a knitter when you go to Office Depot and ask for a "SKEIN" of paper!:chair::chair::chair:

Carla1019
10-05-2007, 09:30 AM
You know you are a knitter when......you find out your DH has to go to the hospital to take care of another kidney stone and you know you get to knit the whole time.:woot: happen to me yesterday..(DH is doing fine):teehee:

KT120
10-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Yup Carla1019 I have to agree with you. I just spent 2 whole days in the hospital with someone who was having a TT done and all I thought was "I'm going to get soooo much knitting done...".

When a 6 hour flight does not bother you in the least because you will have all that time to knit and knit and knit.

You know you are a knitter when your budget is tight but you "need" to have some money for yarn in there somewhere. Especially for the Malabrigo.

Lisa R.
10-05-2007, 07:36 PM
How about: ... It takes you far, far, faaarrr longer to deliberate and pack your knitting for a trip than it does to pack everything else.

Okay, then I guess dd and I are now officially, "for real" knitters. Our family is taking our first vacation in years, and dd and I have tote bags full of yarn and needles---like we're gonna finish 16 projects in the midst of the actual vacation activities!:roflhard: Still...better to have extra than find time on our hands and all our projects finished!

Mulderknitter
10-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Okay, then I guess dd and I are now officially, "for real" knitters. Our family is taking our first vacation in years, and dd and I have tote bags full of yarn and needles---like we're gonna finish 16 projects in the midst of the actual vacation activities!:roflhard: Still...better to have extra than find time on our hands and all our projects finished!
I am planning on going to Spain in May on a knitting trip with Jane Unraveled(aka jane thornley) and am already thinking about the yarn I should bring. I know I will buy some there (it is a knitting trip:muah:) but it is a 15 hour flight!

DorothyDot
10-07-2007, 11:51 AM
You know you're a knitter when... you're in a meeting and you spend your time figuring out the pattern stitch used in your boss' sweater - and quick write it down so you can knit it up yourself!

Dot

Jenn_Knitter
10-07-2007, 01:23 PM
You know you're a knitter when:

You spend an hour explaining the "special" decrease you used along the armhole of a sweater that made it nice and neat to a friend who doesn't knit. (You know they're your true friend when - they let you go on about it and pretend interested.)

Your lifelong dream is to be worthy of the title "Domiknitrix".

You have little "knitting stations" set up all over the house. There's the basket with a WIP in the living room. The yarn and needles in the night stand drawer. The knitting pattern book in the bathroom.

You have enough yarn in your stash to open your own LYS and yet you insist you need more yarn to, uh...finish a project. Yeah, that's the ticket.

You see every single object as something that could be cloaked in a sweater or scarf. (I've actually been cooking and been tempted to knit a cook book slip cover.)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-07-2007, 01:31 PM
you go to Macy's and see a knitted cabled scarf, then sit there counting the stitches and rows to see how it compares to a pattern you've already got.... (extra column of cables, 3 knit stitches between the p2's seperating the columns of cables instead of k2, and about 2 inches of k3p1 at either end)

SusanMarie1956
10-07-2007, 02:07 PM
I have gone to a dept. store and thought to myself, " I Can Make That ."

Susan

panchita
10-07-2007, 09:03 PM
... you wish there was a way to count rows or stitches with your toes so you didn't have to put down your knitting to pick up a pen.:thumbsup:

Songbirdy
10-08-2007, 10:23 AM
When your children introduce you as,

"And this is my mom Roburda, she's a knitda."

You know your knitting brings you stress relief when you are about to head out in the car for a two hour drive and your DH asks you to please grab a 'garbage knit project' to knit so that you will not comment so much on his driving.

When you point out that means you'll have two sharp pointy sticks to jab him with, you know he's desperate when he asks you to grab it anyways.

Then you'll know your a quick knitter when you knit up an 8 inch by 16 inch swatch in garter in two hours. Then your kids fight over which one gets the 'blanket' for their stuffed toy. And your husband moans because there is no yarn left for the drive home.

[garbage project: knit of nasty acrylic gifted to you by well meaning relatives. Point of project... to help you get in the car with husband who has had 3 accidents since January but still insists on driving on the 6 lane highway... tension??? what tension??? gauge???? tight!!!!!]

msmelody
10-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Thought of one I did about a week ago.

I walked up to a lady wearing a beautiful sweater and asked her if it was hand knitted. When she said no, apparently I gave her a very mean look, because she walked away from me very quickly.

I have never knitted a sweater before, but I have a feeling once I start, I will probably not buy the ones from the store anymore.

Kels Joy.
10-08-2007, 05:27 PM
you know you're a knitter when...

you're sitting in study hall, studying for a big test and cursing under your breath thinking you could be working on your uncle's christmas present.

you take your WIP to your friends house for a movie party and you end up missing most the movie 'cause you're so into your knitting.

you annoy your friends by pinching their shirt and going "i could've made this for you and saved you thirty bucks"

ekgheiy
10-08-2007, 05:31 PM
You find some $$$ in your stash... (http://blog.ekgheiy.com)

cristina61
10-11-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm just about to walk out the door on a weekend mini vacation, and this pops into my head:

You know you're a knitter when . . . You're going away for the weekend and you take two bags of knitting stuff and only one bag of clothes. :teehee:

ETA: Luckily, I'll have internet access where I'm going so I can still get my KH fix!

Dangles
10-11-2007, 01:55 PM
When you have a argument with your husband about why $5000 speakers would be better used if sold off and spent on yarn. (I didn't win, he's keeping the speakers) :roll:

Or

When you get the words "Knit" & "Purl" permanently inked (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=67034&page=2) into your skin. :teehee:

Jenn_Knitter
10-11-2007, 01:58 PM
LOL I was watching the remake of "The Wickerman" last night and there was a scene where the doctor was wearing a cardigan. I kept thinking, ooooh a cardi with a seed stitch collar. Nifty. Maybe I'll knit one.

PaperGirl
10-11-2007, 02:02 PM
You find some $$$ in your stash... (http://blog.ekgheiy.com)

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

How about when you watch Pushing Daisies and get all giddy when your favorite character is revealed to be a KNITTER! :woot:

Carla1019
10-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I watch Pushing Daisies aslo..That was so cool when HE stated to knit.

madametj
10-11-2007, 11:54 PM
When you ask someone you have never meet to go feel yarn, so you can have some idea of what it feels like.

Getting mad because eating, sleeping, and other things use the time you could be knitting.

Looking on the internet at 2am looking for a pattern that you just have to make. (this one looks and acts like me):happydance:

omg, that one had my ROTFL:roflhard::chair:

you know when you're a knitter when you hasve yarn in your closet and in huge storage containers under your bed, and in your sister's dresser drawers, and you still have to buy 5 storage drawers to fit the rest (and you wish you had a few more:teehee:)

madametj
10-12-2007, 12:12 AM
You have a flickr/photobucket account that is just for your knitting pictures.

I know! I signed up for photobucket for KH and flickr for ravelry (still waiting!:mrgreen:)

you take your WIP to your friends house for a movie party and you end up missing most the movie 'cause you're so into your knitting.

I know!! they all start laughing at something on the screen and i just looked up from my needles and i'm like "What? What happened?":??

Jennmarie68
10-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Your stash on KP is well over $1000....

You have the KH forum as one of your home page tabs and don't even check you E-mail till you've looked at all the new posts...

You start looking at buildings for rent and think, that would make a great yarn shop...

You've kicked your MySpace addiction for a KH addiction...

Zebragirlnz
10-12-2007, 01:23 AM
You have the KH forum as one of your home page tabs and don't even check you E-mail till you've looked at all the new posts...

:teehee:Oops that's me! And now Ravelry's got its own home page tab too!:cool:

..When you look at the spring flowers and blossoms and think that would make a great colourway for a yarn! Wonder if /where I can find one!

Songbirdy
11-06-2007, 09:49 AM
You know you're a knitter when... You're distractedly trying to "parent" and your son says:

"Huh? You want me to go and knit my room for a time out?"

or...

the children at the school in which you work are coming down with the chicken pox and various illnesses and you find yourself thinking... well if I got a little sick... I could likely have some knitting time!

stirsmommy
11-06-2007, 09:57 AM
When you go to an auctions with your knitting and don't actually bid until half way through since you are in the middle of the repeat. Actually it really did take that long to get to what I wanted last night. The older men really commented on how I could knit and keep track of what was happening.

The.Knitter
11-06-2007, 11:25 AM
... when your "my favourites" section of the web browser on your laptop has a few folders for unimportant things like banking, but many folders for knitting patterns, knitting websites, knitting support/help/information and knitting blogs.

cindygster
11-06-2007, 11:35 AM
When you get the words "Knit" & "Purl" permanently inked into your skin

OMG!!!!!! I'm fairly new to this forum and I've GOT to give you props on the tattoo...:woot:

You know you're a knitter when you get insanely jealous of another KH member's Knit-Purl tattoo. Lol!!!:thumbsup:

Riss
11-06-2007, 11:46 AM
When you tell your little brother he has to use your computer upstairs, because all of your knitting stuff is on/around the computer downstairs. You guys are so addictive! :)

monzogary
11-06-2007, 12:27 PM
You tell your kids to wait a minute till you finish this row, no matter what they ask you to do lol. Also, you take your knitting to bed with you!

Jen17
11-06-2007, 12:30 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
"Knit" was really your child's first word, that is so funny:rofl:

Jen17
11-06-2007, 12:32 PM
o.k. you win!!!!!!!!!!! to Silver, who had knit and purl tattoed on herself!

Jen17
11-06-2007, 12:50 PM

your daughter calls you from Japan (where they are stationed) and says they are flying her to San Diego for some surgery (should be minor, she's o.k.!) and could I come from RI to help her?! Well, of course!!:heart: I'll have 7/8 hours of blissful knitting time on the plane! My knitting bag will be bigger than my suitcase!

or you co-worker e-mails you and says " I don't need you to cover for me, stay home, get in your jammies and knit"!!!:knitting:

or road trip from the Sheep and Fiber Festival in Rhinebeck, NY, to back home in RI, I knitted in the dark with a flashlight balanced on my left shoulder, till my wonderful hubby took pity on me and told me to use the over head light!!:inlove:

The.Knitter
11-06-2007, 01:07 PM
"Knit" was really your child's first word, that is so funny:rofl:

Too funny. I love that your child will grow up and think knitting! That is great!

GiddyKnitter
11-06-2007, 01:13 PM
When your always saying "I will just finish this row"

Mommy22alyns
11-06-2007, 01:46 PM
When you examine sweaters in stores to try and figure out the patterns and construction.
When you wish you could knit while driving.
When you bring a project in to a restaurant to knit while you wait for your food.

iwfinley
11-06-2007, 05:47 PM
When you actually look forward to football Saturdays because your husband is too occupied with the Ohio State Football games to care if you're knitting (unless you go watch the game at a friend's house in which case everyone just thinks you're a bit odd . . . .)

G J
11-06-2007, 06:59 PM
This post is too funny!
I'll put in my $.02:
You know you're a knitter when you end up with carpal tunnel and arthritis and insist on therapy so you can KNIT again!

And

You know you're a knitter when students refer to you as the teacher who has the yarn and those pointy things....

Denise in Michigan
11-07-2007, 02:20 PM
You have more than one blog, one for life and one for knitting.

Life and knitting are different???!!!???:noway:

Mulderknitter
11-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks! I needed that laugh!:roflhard:

dreamsherl
11-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I knew I was a knitter :

I could read my pattern
Didn't have to depend on my knitting teacher (as much) :teehee:
Knit without fear

cinnamon_girl
11-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Great thread!! So many I found myself nodding "yes" to or actually talking out loud to the computer "YES!"

But for me, you know you are a knitta' when you don't think twice about doing a spit join. I tried it for the first time last week and I felt like I had passed some sort of knitting test or initiation. Now, I'm definitely a knitter.:woohoo:

Firey Vixxen
11-08-2007, 06:04 AM
You know you're a knitter when you're knitting...
...when you know you should be studying for tommorrow's exam...
...and you don't feel guilty:roflhard:

MAmaDawn
11-08-2007, 08:17 AM
You know you are a knitter when...

you catorgize you life by knitting projects

you wish you could type and browse KH and KPC with your toes so you can knit at the same time

your 5 year old asks to look at patterns with you

your dd says at the store, hey mommy I think you could knit that!

MAmaDawn
11-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Two I forgot...

you go through this thread agreeing with many of the posts

you tell you dh about it and HE thinks they are funny

MAmaDawn
11-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Just thought of another...

You tell someone... it's a kntting thing you wouldn't understand

jpenguin
11-08-2007, 04:07 PM
You know you are a knitter when:

You walk out the door with your knitting bag & leave your purse at home (done that & had to come home for the purse):aww:

When the first bag in the car for a trip is the knitting bag & a back up bag with extra yarn & patterns.

You take your current project with you so that if you get 2 seconds of waiting you can pick up your knitting to just get in another row.:woot:

lelvsdgs
11-08-2007, 06:14 PM
You know you are a knitter when...

you catorgize you life by knitting projects

you wish you could type and browse KH and KPC with your toes so you can knit at the same time

your 5 year old asks to look at patterns with you

your dd says at the store, hey mommy I think you could knit that!

Aww, that is a darling daughter!!!:muah:

lelvsdgs
11-08-2007, 06:16 PM
When you don't have time to put your makeup on before work because you were getting in 2 more rows...:oops:

The.Knitter
11-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Haha, and if they act up in class "those pointy things" can double as a persuader to make them behave. You can tell them a Canadian suggested that!

The.Knitter
11-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Ummmmm you mean to tell me that there is a difference between life and knitting? After all these years someone is telling me I have no life? Oh well, I prefer it this way, let the rest go out and party, I have a baby outfit to knit..... AND my kind of party won't give me a hangover (in anything but my bank account).

janettle
11-08-2007, 09:26 PM

You realize you have started an exercise program so that you can knit longer without muscles cramping up. As in, "Am I really lifting weights so that I can knit?"

knitpurlgurl
11-09-2007, 01:02 PM

1.) People have diagnosed you with OCD because everytime they see you, you have a bag of yarn and needles..

2.) You've actually checked your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles to see if there are license plates that are personalized for knitters..

3.) You remove all of your makeup and put on a clean shirt when you knit so that you don't get your white yarn dirty..

4.) You buy cups, mugs, shirts, and bags that denote that you are a knitter wven though you carry yarn with you everywhere and everyone already knows..

5.) You've wrapped your body in yarn (around the torso) and stuck knitting needles in your hair as your Halloween costume..

6.) You and your kids sit in silence curled up in every chair in the living room knitting..

7.) FROG is a four-letter word..

8.) You carry pics of your knitting in your wallet with your kids' school pics..

9.) You've become a yarn snob..

10.) When someone talks about German engineering and precision instruments, you think of Addis..

11.) Your heart goes pitter-pat everytime you walk into your local yarn shop and see a new display of yarn..

12.) Your credit card statement has your LYS listed on almost every line..

13.) Your DH brings home yarn and needles instead of flowers and chocolate to entice you into a romantic evening..

14.) You convert your DH's office into a "craft room" (yarn storage) little by little until one day he realizes that his stuff is now in another room..

15.) You are utterly offended when someone asks why you'd waster your time knitting a blanket you could by at Wal-mart..

16.) You would vote for a presedential candidate if you found out they were an advid knitter..

17.) You're happy when you have to call of work to be home with your sick child because you know nap time = knitting time..

18.) You've considered selling plasma to by some cashmere yarn..

19.) 90% of your snail mail and emails revolve around knitting and yarn..

20.) You feel sorry for those you don't knit and you try to bring knitting and happiness to everyone's lives!

knitpurlgurl
11-09-2007, 01:07 PM
OH - I forgot one:

You go shopping for a winter coat that will match the beautiful hat, scarf, and gloves you've knitted up!

Mulderknitter
11-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I love all of them!
Can I steal the sig "will trade husband for yarn?"

wandaweberg
11-09-2007, 01:59 PM
The first thing you do when you log onto your computer is go to knittinghelp.com

wandaweberg
11-09-2007, 02:04 PM
You have to set a timer when knitting to remind yourself to get up and stretch!

Sharly
11-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Knitpurlgurl - those are great!! :roflhard:

Obviously, not all the writers are on strike!!

Debkcs
11-09-2007, 02:52 PM
KPG, those are great! Glad I came back to this thread to read them.

MAmaDawn
11-09-2007, 03:24 PM
lelvsdgs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/member.php?u=20980)

I told my dd what you said and she said thank you and :muah::grphug:

knitpurlgurl
11-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Of course you can steal the sig!

Ironlung21
11-10-2007, 03:34 AM
Hmmmmm....

On your way to work you knit on the train and the bus - whether you have a seat or not.

Arriving at work you might occasionally, accidentally have to lock yourself in the large toilet on the first floor for 15 minutes as you have a bad attack of one-more-row-itus

When you accidentally have a few drinks after work - causing you to be a bit wobbly on the old legs - you still get your knitting out on the train home and the tension remains just right...

ShellChelle
11-12-2007, 01:43 PM
You know you're a knitter when. . . you've learned to steer the car with your knees so that you don't have to put down your knitting!

Okay. . . this really only works when sitting in traffic. I've never tried it when going over 5 miles per hour!

Firey Vixxen
12-01-2007, 09:05 AM
You Know you're a Knitter When... You have organised your wallet to hold all the essentials-Highlighter, Pattern, Ruler, Scissors, Darning needle, and small ball of yarn.:yay:
Now if only I could get the needles to fit cloud9 :roflhard: :knitting:

Knitting_Guy
12-01-2007, 11:00 AM
You know you're a knitter when you change your trucking CB handle to "Needles".

divagirl
12-01-2007, 04:18 PM
i knew I was a knitter the day I realized that while I would never spend $80 on a sweater at a store, I would happily pay the same $80 (or more) on yummy yarn to make myself a sweater!

mommydearest
12-01-2007, 06:35 PM
:teehee: I love trips home now so I can knit...I get upset if dh wants to wait later in the evening so hopefully the kids sleep...this means I can't knit!! Unless I use a light that drives him crazy...

I haven't caught the stove on fire...but I have burned many dinners cause I thought it could wait till I finished what I was doing...

you know your a knitter:

when you start to dream about knitting...when you wake up you think hrmm I thought I finished this last night but then realize...it was just a dream...

I've had several dreams about knitting, although I thought I really was moving my hands (I probably was LOL)

We occasionaly have to drive a couple of hours to various swim meets and though I sometimes hope my dh doesn't come with us (less argueing) I was anxious for him to go so he could drive and I could knit away in the back seat - my minivan has a great seat right behind the driver with extra space on the left for my bag of supplies.

I love ALL the quotes but can't think of one at the moment.

Don't you wish the computer was voice activated for both reading and writing the posts so you wouldn't need to use your hands so much? This forum is as addicting as knitting!
Mary

mommydearest
12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
... when your "my favourites" section of the web browser on your laptop has a few folders for unimportant things like banking, but many folders for knitting patterns, knitting websites, knitting support/help/information and knitting blogs.

OH MY! :roflhard: I just counted everything in my knitting folder and I over 50 sites saved in there - KH being No 1. Everytime I come across a new website I save it "just in case".

I've replaced my reading addiction with knitting.

Mary:knitting:

gatorjade
12-03-2007, 04:03 AM

You're slightly far-sighted but cannot put your knitting down, even though your glasses are just in the next room and you have a splitting headache from the eye strain! (true story...) :zombie:

You can read the terms k2tog, k1 p1, ssk, and rev St st without thinking it's a foreign language. :??

You're conquering a WIP for hours on end and absolutely refuse to take bathroom breaks. :knitting:

The.Knitter
12-03-2007, 04:21 AM
You Know you're a Knitter When... You have organised your wallet to hold all the essentials-Highlighter, Pattern, Ruler, Scissors, Darning needle, and small ball of yarn.:yay:
Now if only I could get the needles to fit cloud9 :roflhard: :knitting:

Use circs, they will fit!

Abbily
12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
i knew I was a knitter the day I realized that while I would never spend $80 on a sweater at a store, I would happily pay the same $80 (or more) on yummy yarn to make myself a sweater!

SO true! :)

sab
12-04-2007, 05:29 PM
You kniow youre a knitter when...

1. You go somewhere new and before you set off you google to see if there are any wool shops near bye. (yes i did this)

2. When in shops you stop buying warm cloths and think it would be cheaper to knitt that. Even tho i have not yet completed a peice of clothing.

3. You spend hours looking on here for answers.

laptop_knitter
12-04-2007, 05:53 PM
You know you're a knitter when
1. the husband of a friend of a friend of your mother's drops by specially to give you some needles he found on his recycling route. (Almost 50 pairs, plus some really old looking sock needles in their original packaging!)
2. you plot to escort your sisters/friends to a city for drama auditions, because it has lots of yarn shops you haven't plundered yet!
3. no one needs to ask what you want for Christmas, only where they can get it from, and what 'worsted weight' means.
4. classmates from years ago contact you by email because somehow the news got to them that you knit, and they want lessons.

fibrenut
12-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Here's one fer ya'll,
You have all your "yarn porn" (vogue knitting, etc.) on the side of the tub where you can read it while doing yer bidniss on the ol' throne.:knitting: :out:Dang, I'll BRB hafta facilitate the utilities.......... :roflhard:

Mulderknitter
12-04-2007, 06:57 PM
You kniow youre a knitter when...

1. You go somewhere new and before you set off you google to see if there are any wool shops near bye. (yes i did this)

I do that too!

sab
12-04-2007, 08:06 PM
one more which my collegues pointed out.

I look forward to night shifts now cos it means i get to knitt for hours. Ten hour night shifts bring them on. :knitting:

knitncook
12-04-2007, 08:22 PM
You know you are a knitter when you have read this thread three times, still laugh because you see yourself in all the posts and wonder if you should do an intervention for our teen knitter whose stash is probably bigger than many of our's combined!

Quiara
12-05-2007, 03:34 AM

You automatically decide you'll like someone simply because "Well, s/he's a knitter!"

The only thing you find a reasonably alternative to knitting is reading knitting-related content.

You taught yourself to read while knitting.... but you also have acquired a huge stock of audiobooks so you don't have to do the acrobatics involved in physically reading a book.

You've written a script that reads your e-mail to you so you can knit and stay up with family/friends.

Your 6-year old nephew took up knitting because he wanted something to do with you. ^_^

Ravelry has eaten your life.

The amount of money you've invested in yarn could buy a car and/or a couple of snazzy laptops.

You wonder if you can claim yarn as a medical/mental-health deduction since it keeps you sane.

You do charity knitting because you want to help out, but also secretly because all the people you knit for have all the hats, scarves, socks, sweaters, gloves, etc they could ever want and you still have yarn left!

You find yourself giving up previous addictions in order to fund your "habit."

You look at people as though they're speaking another language when they ask, "Do you really need 3 drawers full of needles and 2 interchangeable sets?"

People don't believe you when you say you don't have yarn in a certain color/fiber, because, for serious, with a stash that size, how can you not??

If you have a project in your purse, your car, your desk, your laptop bag, your backpack, your locker, your office, every room in your house and every vehicle "just in case."

You knit while waiting on line at the bank, the grocery store, the take-out window, while on the phone with tech support, while on the phone, period, while stuck in traffic, ... anywhere, really....

When you're up at 1:34 a.m., browsing a knitting forum, thinking up reasons you're a knitter and knitting between posts. ^_^

Debkcs
12-05-2007, 04:34 AM
When you're up at 1:34 a.m., browsing a knitting forum, thinking up reasons you're a knitter and knitting between posts. ^_^

It's only 0032, but here I am! As a former night nurse, I can also identify with working night shifts so I could play with yarn.

amberof2
12-05-2007, 10:24 AM
you want to knit so bad in church during the sermon, because after all, idol hands are the devil's workshop!!!

amberof2
12-05-2007, 10:24 AM
you want to knit so bad in church during the sermon, because after all, idol hands are the devil's workshop!!!

idle.... my bad LOL

Ronda
12-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Yep. That's one serious knitter! :teehee:

Lisa R.
12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
idle.... my bad LOL

Freudian slip,maybe? :teehee:

You know you're a knitter when you're trying to explain to your 10yo knitting dd why you can't knit in church--and you aren't sure you're convinced yourself!!:mrgreen:

Quiara
12-05-2007, 02:28 PM
*hides her knittng and sheepishly doesn't admit to knitting in the pew.*

lostchyld
12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't see why knitting in church is a bad thing. It's really the only way I have of getting my brain to hold still long enough to listen.

You know you're a knitter when all your professors give you a tolerant smile and say "Crafts and computers away," at the beginning of class.

You also know you're a knitter when you cast on a project with yarn that you know you hate simply because you have to knit and don't have the resources to get better yarn.

Quiara
12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
My preacher is a dear friend of mine and we actually were in a lot of the same seminary classes, so he knows that I'm not knitting due to lack of interest. He watched me knit my way through Paul's letters with Oster, a professor I respect deeply, so I'm sure he knows I love him no less. ^_~

jess_hawk
12-06-2007, 12:51 AM
When you slip and fall on the ice and land on your arm, and your first thought is "if this makes it hard to knit, I'm going to be majorly ticked off," rather than, "OOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

When upon learning that since you missed your first flight home from Alaska, you will now have to spend an extra 12 hours in the airport/on planes (bringing your total to something like 36), you're first thought is "I want to be home NOW" and your second thought is, "but I don't have a pattern for my new yarn and I don't have any extra of the old stuff!"

When you find out that you're going to have yet more time to spend in airports and on planes, and your foremost concerns are:
a) if the terrorists attack and they make knitting needles against the rules in carry ons, you will personally go find the nearest terrorist and stab him/her with the aforementioned knitting needles, thereby proving that they are dangerous, oops.
b) finding a project that will take the correct amount of time without taking up too much space.
c) justifying buying new yarn despite the cost of the trip.

Firey Vixxen
01-08-2008, 06:48 AM
YKYAKW... you go to country craft markets and start naming the types of wools they've used... just by sight :aww: and yes, I did get some wierd looks for talking to myself.

saracidaltendencies
01-08-2008, 11:50 AM
You know you're a knitter when you seriously consider converting the bathroom into a knitting room because it's the only place you can have some uninterrupted time!

Eccie
01-08-2008, 01:17 PM
You know you're a knitter when everytime you try to type or write 'pearl' it comes out 'purl' Or maybe I'm just a bad speller :P

Crycket
01-08-2008, 01:24 PM
You know you are a knitter when....

You stay up WAY past your bed time trying to untangle that ball of wool cause you just can't stand to see it there in a big tangle (as if not untangling it right away will cause it tangle more while you are not looking)

You are considering owning a yarn shop just to be able to surrond yourself with yarn constantly...(DH won't go for it right now....*sigh*)

When discovering someone you know knits, you both immediatly start swapping patterns...

When you find an amazing pattern, you feel the need to unleash it on the world!

When any day you can't knit is a day wasted...

When you just don't feel right about wearing something you haven't knit yourself...and even start considering pushing your limits to knit that bra and panties pattern listed as Piquante on Knitty.com....*blushes*

Crycket
01-08-2008, 01:28 PM
and when as an urbanite, you start trying to figure out ways of owning your own alpaca, and settle on a long haired dog or angora rabbit to quench your urge to spin your own fibre!

Phaedra
01-08-2008, 08:38 PM
You know you're a knitter when you would rather risk running late for work by taking the bus because your DH won't let you knit in the car. So you knit waiting for the bus, on the bus, getting off the bus, waiting for the light at the crosswalk and taking a detoured way to the job, knitting as you walk. (I do it very often.) :wink:

Mulderknitter
01-08-2008, 09:47 PM
You know you're a knitter when you would rather risk running late for work by taking the bus because your DH won't let you knit in the car. So you knit waiting for the bus, on the bus, getting off the bus, waiting for the light at the crosswalk and taking a detoured way to the job, knitting as you walk. (I do it very often.) :wink:
I used to read like that! Got many comments from people wondering how I could walk and read at the same time.

You know you are a knitter when you have a bad day at work and go to your favorite LYS for relief. today I fondled yarn and only bought one skein of sock yarn, but I felt so much better after a crappy day!

Phaedra
01-08-2008, 09:53 PM
You know you are a knitter when you have a bad day at work and go to your favorite LYS for relief. today I fondled yarn and only bought one skein of sock yarn, but I felt so much better after a crappy day!
I envy you. My nearest LYS isn't very local for me. I love to pet yarn!

snowbear
01-08-2008, 10:05 PM
You know you are a knitter, when you set up passwords using knitting terms.. knit,purl,tink, etc. lol

My boss happened to see my list of passwords, she had no idea that they were passwords, she knows I knit so much she didnn't even think anything of them.

Quiara
01-09-2008, 02:23 AM
You know you are a knitter, when you set up passwords using knitting terms.. knit,purl,tink, etc. lol

My boss happened to see my list of passwords, she had no idea that they were passwords, she knows I knit so much she didnn't even think anything of them.

HA. Well, I started college as a Bible/Biblical languages major, so all my passwords are Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic and Latin, with some German tossed in ocassionally just to mix it up a bit. ^_~

YKYAAKW: You started out not knowing anyone who knitted... but now almost everyone who knows you knits. ^_^ (Okay, maybe only if you're an EVANGELIZING knitter. ^_^)

marlajap
01-23-2008, 11:39 PM
And, along the same lines as many others...
You know you're a knitter when you stay up till after midnight on a work night to finish the watch cap for your son before the cold snap hits...when he already has a fleece one and, failing that, you could have bought him a new one for $1 at Dollar General!! LOL! (did it just last night!! Boy, was I tired today!!)

:sleepy:

DeeJay
01-24-2008, 03:17 AM
When your DH tells you to just buy the pc game you've been lusting over/failing at downloading (yea, I'm naughty), and your first thought is "But I'd rather spend 50 euro on yarn and needles"

Edit: Another one..
Your chat buddies on MSN/YM know that you take longer to reply to them because you're knitting
(sometimes having a voice call is just so much easier)

evona
01-24-2008, 03:31 AM
When you meet a woman in a bar and ask her if you can check out the stitch pattern in her sweater. (done it)

:rofl: Funny thing is that if I were single that would totally work on me! I can't go anywhere anymore without wondering what kind of stitch pattern the people around me are wearing.

DorothyDot
01-24-2008, 12:16 PM
I know what you mean. In a meeting at work, my boss had on this sweater with a really cool pattern - so I whiled away the time doodling and writing down how I could knit that sweater pattern.

And it worked - did the same exact sweater for DH!

Dot

Sunshine's Mom
01-24-2008, 12:30 PM
When you actually look forward to football Saturdays because your husband is too occupied with the Ohio State Football games to care if you're knitting (unless you go watch the game at a friend's house in which case everyone just thinks you're a bit odd . . . .)

OMG! Hubby and I are huge Ohio State fans!! 2006 season every game I knitted during - we won! Husband insists I knit during every game! Too bad the knitting mojo didn't work for 2006 or 2007 National Championship Games though. Oh well, at least I did my part!!:thumbsup:

AnnArrogance
01-24-2008, 03:30 PM
When your DH gives up his favorite recliner so you can have the better light for your knitting while you watch TV together.
Your husband is an ANGEL! Mine would never consider giving up "his spot" for some silly string! :lol:

AnnArrogance
01-24-2008, 03:39 PM
...when you bring your knitting to class and leave your book at home (I did this today--had to call hubby to bring it to me before class).

...when you FINALLY get into Ravelry and spend 2 days NOT knitting, but simply organizing your knitting stuff online and looking up cool patterns for your 3 skeins of Tapestry or random skein of novelty slub yarn.

...when your Ravelry queue grows to over 30 items within 24 hours of joining. :lol:

Edit: ...when your DH, who normally hates leaving the house for any reason, asks to take you out to dinner just so he can get some time with you without needles getting in the way.

knittingymnast
01-24-2008, 04:39 PM

you'd rather go yarn shopping than clothes shopping
You stay up late at night because you have to do "just one more row"
You have said the words "just one more row"

exactly. thanks! :yay:

knittingymnast
01-24-2008, 04:48 PM

lol!

Abbily
01-24-2008, 04:51 PM
When everything your 3 yo daughter wants, she asks you to "yarn" for her. :)

MAmaDawn
02-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Carey that is cute!!!

When you are watching Sesame Street with your 2 yo and you see sheep puppets and you think about what kind of wool you would get from them.

When you are looking into getting alpacas because the yarn is so expensive and you want to knit with it more.

md21
02-09-2008, 02:17 AM
You've made another knitting friend's bad day better by asking: "what'd you do, get up on the W.S. of the bed this morning?"

Pagan Princess
02-09-2008, 02:40 AM
...when you have to hide your excess yarn in the wardrobe and when you open the wardrobe and it starts to fall out you shout 'back back I say!!!'

and you STILL end up buying more yarn.

Plantgoddess+
02-09-2008, 10:45 AM
When you are looking into getting alpacas because the yarn is so expensive and you want to knit with it more.

I'm trying to convince hubby that my horses need an alpaca gelding to keep them company. Think how much money I could save by shearing him and learning to spin my own yarn!

bookkid
02-16-2008, 09:10 PM
the tabs on your computer screen are all for knitting forums, blogs, online stores, patterns, etc. and one is your email

you see your mom with a cashmere sweater and you start petting her.

marlajap
02-16-2008, 09:28 PM
When every single gift you got for Christmas, Valentine's and your birthday was related in some way to knitting.

When you buck family tradition by *not* going to Red Lobster for birthday dinner this weekend, but go somewhere less expensive instead, because you want the extra money for YARN! :)

marlajap
02-16-2008, 09:28 PM
When every single gift you got for Christmas, Valentine's and your birthday was related in some way to knitting.

When you buck family tradition by *not* going to Red Lobster for birthday dinner this weekend, but go somewhere less expensive instead, because you want the extra money for YARN! :)

Oh, and because the service is faster at Logan's Roadhouse than at Red Lobster, too, meaning I have more time to knit tonight, as well...Of course, I knitted while waiting for dinner to arrive and while my slow-eating son and hubby were finishing their food...but that's beside the point, right??

When your hubby starts talking about buying some thingie that will wind his own guitar pickups and you respond by saying, "that sounds kinda like a yarn ball winder, honey"...

bethany
02-18-2008, 09:55 AM
you pick a vacation spot by where the best looking yarn store is....

Koehnae
02-18-2008, 10:13 AM

:roflhard:I was laughing so hard I cried when I read this because it just happened to me on Saturday!

booskibabe
02-18-2008, 10:42 AM
* Dh qualifies a date night with "No Knitting!!"
* You're watching TV (Reba) and like a character's sweater so much you try to sketch it before the show is over. You also have the perfect yarn in mind for it.
* When others see you wearing a sweater they assume you made it.

This thread is hilarious. :roflhard: :roflhard:

knittingymnast
02-18-2008, 10:49 AM
you know your a knitter when.....

you accidentely knit your hair in you sleep. (did it, needles and all)

you complain on a trip overseas because you cant stop at a yarn shop to get some yarn from out of the country

your little sister says "let me finish one more row" even when she is not knitting, just to stall

your jacket has scraps of yarn in every pocket

booskibabe
02-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Thought of a couple more!
... When one of your 18 mo niece's first words is "Cashmere"
... When that same niece goes running to my purse to find my knitting stuff when I visit.
... When I found out I was preggo after nearly 3 yrs of trying one of my first thoughts was "What can I make for baby?" Also, everyone already knows I won't need baby blankets because I'm knitting them.

Ilove2knit
02-18-2008, 12:12 PM
You know you're a knitter when...as you are putting socks on your baby's feet, you pause and stretch the cuff to try to figure out the stitch pattern! (Done it, many times!)

You find a cashmere Neiman-Marcus sweater at a thrift shop, and your very first thought is "Wow! I could get so much yarn from this!"...and you buy it, despite the fact that you could get it even cheaper the next day when the thrift shop puts the sweaters on sale...and you frog it that very evening.

italianchildhood
02-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Every morning you look at your knitting/stash next to your living room sofa and desperately want to stay home instead of going to work... then you peel yourself away, because you just can't stay home every day.

bethany
02-18-2008, 03:35 PM
* Dh qualifies a date night with "No Knitting!!"
:roflhard: :roflhard:
...and you think twice about date night!

LizaK1020
03-24-2009, 08:24 PM
You stare intently at people on the subway because they are wearing a hat with a cool pattern -- but they think you're hitting on them.

You have carpal tunnel and arthritis in your fingers but insist it isn't from the knitting. In fact, you insist the knitting will loosen it up and make it all better...