PDA

View Full Version : Yarn Suggestions

Xyza
10-05-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm moving at the end of December and it's quite a bit farther north than I've ever been before. Everyone keeps telling me that the winters are going to be a lot colder than I am used to. Of course my only thought when they tell me this that I get to make a new scarf and hat.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any yarn suggestions. I'm looking for something that will be warm but fairly soft too.

stirsmommy
10-05-2007, 09:41 AM
I moved signicantly farther north this spring and am bracing for winter. I find wool with silk to be warm. They say that alpaca is warm. When we got up here at the beginning of March it was still in the teens. I used lots and lots of layers. You might want to think of some mittens too.

Xyza
10-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Yes, I should definitely add mittens to the list as well.

I'm just about done all my Christmas knitting (don't hate me! I started really early this year) so I'm really excited about working on something for myself again.

stirsmommy
10-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Depending on how far north you are going probably will determine how much you need. If it is wet and cold I would sugest making a couple of each item so one is always dry and ready to keep you warm. How far north are you headed?

Xyza
10-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Headed to some small town outside of Winnipeg, Manitoba. I think the main concern is that I'm a city girl and while I've definitely experienced some cold winters, I've never been out in the country where it's very open and windy. I do have lots of scarves already, however, they're mostly thin and more an accessory than something of practical use. Making a couple of each is probably a good idea. And definitely a good excuse to go shopping for more yarn!

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Well one consideration is how much you want to spend on this yarn, and second would be whether or not is should be washable or not.

I'm not really a yarn snob so I tend to look for more 'friendly' yarns in that they aren't as expensive and can be readily washed. I'm pretty fond of Caron Simply Soft at the moment. It seems like a nice compromise between softness and serviceability.

Plantgoddess+
10-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I live in northeastern Wa. and spend a great deal of time outside. I find that alpaca blends are great yarns for softness and warmth. I also like silk blends and I have sweaters, mittens, hats and socks in different weights for different weather conditions. The cold makes it really great for wearing clothes made with the bulky yarns that I find too warm too wear indoors.

fargo_knitting
10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
I guess I would have to agree with the majority of the board. I would go with a natural fiber because they do keep you warmer and they 'breathe' so you don't get sweaty and chilled again.

Make sure it is a soft yarn that doesn't irritate your skin. I made a hat, scarf, and mitten set that makes my forehead itch.

You may want to make the scarf long enough to wrap around your neck a few times because when it gets bitterly cold..its nice to cover your nose and mouth. Its almost impossible to breathe when its that cold!

DorothyDot
10-05-2007, 01:21 PM
I spent 12 years in the Maryland Forest Service and did quite a bit of research in this area. Results:

1. Wool will keep you warm even when wet. If you can get it with the lanolin/sheep fat still in it, you'll be more or less water-resistent. But you won't smell very good.

2. No knitted item, wool or otherwise, will keep you warm on a windy day. The best way by far is to knit a warm wool sweater, and put on either a windbreaker or a jacket or - on the coldest days - a down jacket over top of the sweater. Here's where the unblocked cables come into play - they trap more air against you and keep you all the warmer under the windbreaker.

3. A heavy, soft scarf that's wide and long enough to wrap completely around your throat and then up across your mouth and nose - and then have both ends tucked inside your jacket against your chest... is a wonderfully warm and comforting item. But - on really cold days, you'll need to guard against your glasses fogging up.

Hope this helps,
Dot