PDA

View Full Version : FO: BIG bag

roseybee
10-06-2007, 08:03 PM
I made this modified booga bag for my sister-in-law. Her boyfriends' mother gave her a huge bin full of yarn (mostly wool) and my SIL gave me all of it on the condition that I make her a bag. I used various colors of Lopi-Lite, and felted all the pieces together first to make self-striping yarn.
I guess I thought that since the name said Lite, the yarn was thinner, so I cast on a lot of stitches. The bag got bigger and bigger...my hubby joked about it all the time. He said it would never shrink to normal size. It took a while, but it finally looks about right. I take pictures of my felted things on my kitchen floor to give me an idea of the size change. The tiles are almost 16" square. I couldn't resist posting the picture of my 2 year old in the prefelted bag after my hubby made a comment about a sleeping bag for her...

Samsam
10-06-2007, 08:17 PM
That picture with your daughter is too funny!

It's fine! the bigger the better!
She'll :heart: it.

cam90066
10-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the chuckle (your little on in the bag). Too cute. The finished bag looks great!

cam

nonny2t
10-06-2007, 08:23 PM
It turned out great! Your daughter looks like she is in one of those big Christmas bags you use to put large gifts in! Cute!

mwhite
10-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Looks great!! Love the yarn, daughter is a real cutiepie! Mary

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-06-2007, 08:29 PM
That looks great! I usually use a 'too big for the yarn' needle when I knit something to felt.. because:

It takes so much knitting to make something big enough to felt it to the size that you want

You don't have to use as much yarn

It gives the stitches 'room' to move about and grab ahold of each other when they 'do the felting dance' in the washer

Maybe you did that.. but, the stitches in the pre-felting look 'normal' sized stitches.. and in case you didn't.. this will help you make something even faster next time! :D

Both will felt- but, they seem to felt faster and better (to me) when they have enough room to move about and do the 'felting dance'...

Looks awesome and it was so nice of you to knit that huge, huge thing for her! EVEN if she did give you the yarn. :D

I love felting--- it's like magic, isn't it?

Mariblue
10-06-2007, 08:39 PM
That's a really nice bag! Your daughter is so cute.

ah
10-06-2007, 09:15 PM
And I thought the regular Booga bag took a while to knit. Yours looks great. I like the solid color handles and bottom.

sue in canada
10-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Looks wonderful. Great colors.

Beloved
10-06-2007, 10:02 PM
What a great bag! That's so much knitting for what turns out to be something so much smaller. I've not done felting yet but this might get me there. I was curious about what you meant by "I used various colors of Lopi-Lite, and felted all the pieces together first to make self-striping yarn"? Your daughter sure is a cutie!

roseybee
10-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I usually use a 'too big for the yarn' needle when I knit something to felt.. because:

It takes so much knitting to make something big enough to felt it to the size that you want

You don't have to use as much yarn

It gives the stitches 'room' to move about and grab ahold of each other when they 'do the felting dance' in the washer

Maybe you did that.. but, the stitches in the pre-felting look 'normal' sized stitches..

The Lite-Lopi calls for size 8 needles, and I used 11s. The stitches seemed really loose to me, but maybe they look tighter in the picture? I used to be a tight knitter, but I've been getting better.
I also think I was spoiled by previous felting experiences -- my other two bags both felted quickly, like less than 15 minutes, and I have a front loader. This bag took about 45 minutes and one cold water shock.
The finished size is perfect, I think. I meant to get a picture of my daughter holding up the finished project, but I forgot.

roseybee
10-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I was curious about what you meant by "I used various colors of Lopi-Lite, and felted all the pieces together first to make self-striping yarn"?

Well, the Lite-Lopi is one of the Reynolds brands yarns. There were a ton of different colors in the bin I got for free, but most were partial skeins. My SIL wanted a variegated looking bag, but the colors were all solids. So, I measured out the amount of wool in one round, and cut a piece that length. Then I cut each different colored skein into pieces of all that same length. After watching Amy's video on the felted join, I took the time to felt all the ends together in the order I wanted and wind them into a ball. That way I could just keep knitting instead of changing color every row. There was only one ball of yarn to carry around, and I think the process actually saved me time overall.
I attached a picture of the WIP with the ball of yarn to give you a visual of what it looked like. You could make your own self-striping yarn using all kinds of different colors and thicknesses of stripes. Having each stripe be only one row made me keep my tension more even so that each color ended within the same few stitches of each other. I hope this answers your question!

dustinac
10-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Love the picture of your little girl and the hand bag....it looks wonderful!!! :happydance: