PDA

View Full Version : Needle Question

new_knitter
10-08-2007, 09:18 AM
I have always liked bamboo needles. I am pretty new and had trouble the one time I tried a metal needle. But I just started my first felted clog and I am have to stop and push my stitches across the needles constantly. This is really slowing me down! :sad:

My stitches aren't too tight and I am wondering if it is because the yarn is doubled. Anyway which needle would you recommend me trying?

I thought about the:

Addi Turbos
Knit Picks options - although they don't have a size 13 in a 16 inch
Denise Interchangables

Thanks for your help! :)

rosefields
10-08-2007, 09:26 AM
My preferance is for the Denise's....especially for felted clogs. :)

Yarnlady
10-08-2007, 09:37 AM
:waving: I'm use my Boyes Needlemaster needles for the clogs I'm making with Cascade 220. The yarn just slides across the metal needles like.....well, like yarn across metal needles. I used my Denise's for a bit, but found them a bit sticky compared to the metal ones. YMMV. :star:

Knitting_Guy
10-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I like the slickness of the Options

new_knitter
10-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the responses.

One recommendation for each... guess I will throw a dart to decide!

ladyjessica
10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
I love the few pairs of Addi Turbos I've invested in. However, I've noticed that sometimes they can be a bit slippery, meaning the yarn sometimes slides over them too quickly and can fall off the needle. But, if you're having trouble getting your stitches to move, that might help you.

ekgheiy
10-09-2007, 09:33 AM
I've never worked with Options or Denise. I second Boye or Addi. Also, are you knitting too far from the tips of the needles? That may cause your stitches to stretch too much and appear too tight. I once thought I was knitting too tightly, but later realized that my problem solved itself when I began knitting closer to the tips of the needles. Hope that helps.

Good luck

GinnyG
10-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Denise are VERY sticky, I hate them (unfortunately they are what I have:waah:). I LOVE my ADDI'S , I just don't have ENOUGH of them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsDavis3
10-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Lori, I have had trouble with bamboo needles when I knit in our WNC mountain home, where it is usually very humid. I think both the yarn and the needles absorb moisture from the air, they swell, and things get tight. Perhaps that is part of your problem.

new_knitter
10-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions :hug:
Because I didn't want to wait on shipping for the Knitpicks and based on my one past metal needle experience, I was afraid I wouldn't do well on the Addis, so I picked up a set of Denises today.

I have only knit two rows so far, but I was able to go so much faster by putting a smaller needle on the left hand side!:cheering:

Thanks again everyone!

ekgheiy
10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
:??Wait ... you're knitting with two different size needles? :?? I'm not so sure that's the best solution since that's gonna tinker with your gauge... :think:

new_knitter
10-10-2007, 12:13 PM
ekgheiy,

I was using a smaller size on the left needle only. From what I have read, guage is only affected by the right needle.

meg
10-10-2007, 01:49 PM
for wool i like plastic. it doesn't split the fibers as much as bamboo snags and metal pulls it apart.

ekgheiy
10-10-2007, 03:56 PM
ekgheiy,

I was using a smaller size on the left needle only. From what I have read, guage is only affected by the right needle.

:think: But your right needle will soon turn into your left needle once you complete a row. Are you swapping your stitches to the smaller needle every time your finish a row?
:??

suzeeq
10-10-2007, 09:56 PM
If you knit in the round, you don't swap needles.

new_knitter
10-11-2007, 04:50 PM
:think: But your right needle will soon turn into your left needle once you complete a row. Are you swapping your stitches to the smaller needle every time your finish a row?
:??

If I had just been knitting in the round, I wouldn't have to switch the smaller needle - it would remain on the left. Since I was knitting short rows, when I needed to turn my work, I would pop off and switch the Denise needle heads. It didn't take long, and overall my time was faster.