PDA

View Full Version : Is That Hard?

Knitting_Guy
10-11-2007, 08:05 PM
This morning while having my coffee I was knitting a little on the black Palindrome scarf I started yesterday. I was only a single cable into it at this point.

A youngish waitress came over (I was seated at the coffee counter) and asked "Is that hard?" indicating my knitting.

I told her "No, it isn't hard. If a big dummy like me can do it, anyone can."

She smiled and said that she had thought about trying to learn to knit. I took a couple of minutes and showed her how I was working the ribbing, explaining that there are only two stitches to learn, and the patterns come from just combining those two in different ways.

She said she thought she could do that so I suggested that she pick up a beginner's book, check out KH, and pick up some needles and cheap yarn to start herself off.

Maybe another budding knitter in the making.

hob
10-11-2007, 08:11 PM
today at work a girl asked me if id teach her how to knit i think its the day for new knitters!

Knitting_Guy
10-11-2007, 08:14 PM
today at work a girl asked me if id teach her how to knit i think its the day for new knitters!

:thumbsup:

Lady Violet
10-11-2007, 08:18 PM
today i discovered that one of my second graders learned to knit from her nana!!! :happydance:

mason, you should seriously get a commission for all your recruits. ;)

Knitting_Guy
10-11-2007, 08:20 PM
mason, you should seriously get a commission for all your recruits. ;)

Sounds like a good plan to me. :mrgreen:

mwhite
10-11-2007, 09:50 PM
[QUOTE=Lady Violet;980599]today i discovered that one of my second graders learned to knit from her nana!!! :happydance:QUOTE]

Love this... I'm teaching/exposing my 2 yr. old granddaughter to knitting every chance I get.... she calls me Nana! She will actually act like she's knitting and isn't happy to just have the circulars. "I need yarn, Nana!" :mrgreen:

Rorshach
10-11-2007, 09:51 PM
hehe, can see it now Mason--Knitting Drill Sergeant.

psammeadred
10-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm teaching a friend at work to knit - but she doesn't want to learn to purl. Silly girl.

Jan in CA
10-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Excellent, Mason! More recruits! :thumbsup:

Dangles
10-12-2007, 03:33 AM

:teehee:

PurlyGyrl
10-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Mason here's a new motto for ya':

Conquering the world with knitting - - - - - - - -one knitter at a time!

Not one of my best lines but hey its early and I haven't finished my coffee.:shrug:

Itsabtme
10-12-2007, 01:34 PM
:roflhard:

I must be a push over.....

All I said was I've always wanted to learn....you said you should teach yourself, KH is a great place to learn....I said ok....here I am;)

Isn't that pretty much how the conversation went?

hob
10-12-2007, 01:38 PM
welcome!:grphug: from everyone.

Krystal
10-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Maybe you should get some business cards printed up with the KH logo and website addy. With your 'Mason Travelling Representative." . at the bottom. haha. Then you can just hand them out to anyone interested, and say, this place will get you started!

:happydance:

ecb
10-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Moderators and Adminstrators
What a great Idea:muah:

Maybe you should get some business cards printed up with the KH logo and website addy. With your 'Mason Travelling Representative." . at the bottom. haha. Then you can just hand them out to anyone interested, and say, this place will get you started!

allow people to Print Buisness cards with their log on name and the internet website
have the Site autofil in the "Logged in as ___"
maybe its not possible, but it would be great to print out a page of the cards to give people every once in a while

Am I too much of a geek?:hiding:

letah75
10-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Moderators and Adminstrators
What a great Idea:muah:

allow people to Print Buisness cards with their log on name and the internet website
have the Site autofil in the "Logged in as ___"
maybe its not possible, but it would be great to print out a page of the cards to give people every once in a while

Am I too much of a geek?:hiding:

I think that's cool! I'd totally do it.

So far I taught two co-workers, a neighbor, another neighbors child, and have two co-workers who ask, then change their minds then ask again. The asking is getting more and more frequent so I think I'm breaking them. Soon they too will be brought to the dark side.

Knitting_Guy
10-12-2007, 10:14 PM

Knitting_Guy
10-12-2007, 10:15 PM

I must be a push over.....

All I said was I've always wanted to learn....you said you should teach yourself, KH is a great place to learn....I said ok....here I am;)

Isn't that pretty much how the conversation went?

Yup, that was pretty much it.

Knitting_Guy
10-12-2007, 10:16 PM

Great idea :thumbsup:

sugarfunpouch
10-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Go Mason!! :cheering:

nadja la claire
10-13-2007, 01:31 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Keep up the good work Mason, we must increase the number of knitters until ultimately we rule the world and yarn and needles are considered a necessity. Onward to world domination!!!!!

madametj
10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
wow, i just referreed some1 to KH on yahoo answers last night! http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ApzO9Ykq7rhvJeuyjrZ.Kersy6IX;_ylv=3?qid =20071012200958AAgKaFP&show=7#profile-info-fAh814eOaa

Knitting_Guy
10-14-2007, 05:59 PM
wow, i just referreed some1 to KH on yahoo answers last night! http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ApzO9Ykq7rhvJeuyjrZ.Kersy6IX;_ylv=3?qid =20071012200958AAgKaFP&show=7#profile-info-fAh814eOaa

KH is the best place I know for knitting answers. Good job.

Jenn_Knitter
10-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Go Mason! I definitely nominate you as the official spokesman for KH :) "If I can Knit, so Can You!" should be your official motto.

Last night I turned my mom onto this site. I spent all day yesterday teaching her and my sister to knit (and purl, too!)

ChroniclesofYarnia
10-14-2007, 09:04 PM
You guys have got to quit bumping this thread. Every time I see the thread title I say," That's what she said." Then I laugh until it hurts. (Yes, I am 13.)

~roxy~
10-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Knitting's not hard, but I suck at teaching it. I homeschool my children and my 7 and 9 year old wanted to learn. While My 9 year old was still 8, I tried and tried to teach her. It was so frustrating for us both and she just couldn't get it. She kept begging me to teach her so I bought her a dvd and yarn kit at Target and figured she'd waste a few hours and I'd get some peace. lol....By golly she learned. So now, she knits. But she doesn't like patterns. Comes up with her own (simple) stuff. She makes clothes for her teddy bears and jewelry.

Pat in Ca
10-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Mason,

Have you ever considered that these woman approaching you are interested in more than your knitting?? It is a great way to meet people!!

Knitting_Guy
10-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Mason,

Have you ever considered that these woman approaching you are interested in more than your knitting?? It is a great way to meet people!!

I've found that it is indeed a great icebreaker, and it has led to many good conversations, but I'm too ugly for them to have other motives. :roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
10-15-2007, 04:56 PM
You guys have got to quit bumping this thread. Every time I see the thread title I say," That's what she said." Then I laugh until it hurts. (Yes, I am 13.)

:rofl:

stirsmommy
10-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Knitting's not hard, but I suck at teaching it. I homeschool my children and my 7 and 9 year old wanted to learn. While My 9 year old was still 8, I tried and tried to teach her. It was so frustrating for us both and she just couldn't get it. She kept begging me to teach her so I bought her a dvd and yarn kit at Target and figured she'd waste a few hours and I'd get some peace. lol....By golly she learned. So now, she knits. But she doesn't like patterns. Comes up with her own (simple) stuff. She makes clothes for her teddy bears and jewelry.

Roxy,
I homeschool too and both of the youngers wanted to learn and it just isn't something I can do. My dd 11 went to knit camp this summer at our lys. No one else signed up so it was just she and her teacher for an hour a day. She did beautifully and now the seven year old wants to go as well. Just not sure as he has fine motor skill issues but maybe with someone other that me it will work.

meearnol
10-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Just not sure as he has fine motor skill issues but maybe with someone other that me it will work.

Maybe this would help with that. My brother had some fine motor issues when he was little and my mom used to have him do those lace-up boards. Do you remember those? It was basically a hard piece of cardboard and you had to lace a shoelace in and out of the holes to make a picture. It helped him to be able to develop his fine motor skills.