PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Fall Color

bailsmom
10-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Anyone live there? DH and I are thinking of doing the Jacob's Ladder Trail (Rt. 20) this weekend and some of the foliage reports are conflicting so I thought I'd ask here.

Is it worth the drive or should we wait one more week?

TIA!

HamaLee
10-12-2007, 11:08 PM
I've lived here my whole life and honestly, I completely overlook the draw foliage. If you want real woodsy/mountainy beauty in outrageous colors...go to New Hampshire or Vermont. Leaves have turned here, but nothin' special.

But what part of rt20 is the trail (like what towns)? Cuz there's a stretch of rt20 near where I live and near where my parents live and man is it an ugly road. Hardly a tree in sight. I would guess that the part you're considering is in Western Mass near the Berkshires?

feministmama
10-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Oh Jeez, it's times like this I miss MA. I live in Oregon and you just don't get those brilliant colors that make you go WOW!!

HamaLee
10-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Oh Jeez, it's times like this I miss MA. I live in Oregon and you just don't get those brilliant colors that make you go WOW!!

Isn't it awful that I'm so used to it that I barely notice? :sad: It's true though. Objectively, I realize that it's a unique and beautiful thing. But the fact of the matter is I've seen it 26 times and now it's just "same old, same old." Drive up north 45 minutes though? WOW!

zkimom
10-13-2007, 08:03 AM
I don't know about Mass but here in Fairfield County, CT it's not much to speak of yet.

Is it just me or is the foliage around here getting less spectacular?

I always look for it cause I'm a photographer and I'm waiting for the perfect foliage to go out and shoot.

Miss Moosey
10-13-2007, 09:36 AM
The foliage hasn't peaked in Massachusetts yet; I think it might be because the weather has just begun to turn cold. Things are just beginning to change colors around here.

But I think the foliage might be peaking further north like in Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont.

Check out a site like this: http://www.weather.com/activities/driving/fallfoliage/ to find out where the foliage looks best at the moment!

Good luck!
Rebecca

JudyD
10-13-2007, 09:48 AM
The foliage hasn't peaked yet in central Maine...maybe in another week or so. Right now we have pockets of brilliant color and pockets of dull dried-out color with leaves falling fast. We live in a neighborhood with a lot of trees so I see a lot of raking for the next four weeks or so :mrgreen:...

JudyD

BostonBecca
10-13-2007, 11:13 AM
It's been pretty spectacular on my drive up and down Route 3 from Burlington, MA to Nashua, NH for the last week.

bailsmom
10-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Isn't it awful that I'm so used to it that I barely notice? :sad: It's true though. Objectively, I realize that it's a unique and beautiful thing. But the fact of the matter is I've seen it 26 times and now it's just "same old, same old." Drive up north 45 minutes though? WOW!

OMG. :noway: How can you say that?? :passedout: :teehee: :teehee: I'm from the midwestern states and hardly a tree in sight, but out here, man oh man it's just gorgeous. It's the one thing I love about living out here, the trees. No matter what color they are.

As for the area we are going to drive it does start out in western MA and then we'll take Rt 20 east to Interstate 91.

26 times of seeing this beautiful land isn't nearly enough for me!! And we've been out here for well, going on our 6th year now and it's still breathtaking to us. Of course this is my favorite time of year so I'm a little biased. ;)

I think we're going to try for next weekend as our weatherman said it's not changed much yet.

mrslevite
10-13-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't know about Mass but here in Fairfield County, CT it's not much to speak of yet.

Is it just me or is the foliage around here getting less spectacular?

I always look for it cause I'm a photographer and I'm waiting for the perfect foliage to go out and shoot.
I'm a photographer, too. I'm in Delaware. The first week of November is the week for photos. And the next week it all just look blah and dingy. I'll try to get some shots before then. But I'm praying for nice weather for that one really great week.

HeatherFeather
10-13-2007, 09:57 PM
We just got back today from Olean/Salamanca/Bradford, and the colors are JUST starting to turn there...Western NY/PA.

Dh's uncle said they just aren't that brilliant yet. I think in another week or so, they'll really be hopping. They are about a week or so ahead of us here in MD...

kristinw
10-15-2007, 10:52 AM
I've lived here my whole life and honestly, I completely overlook the draw foliage. If you want real woodsy/mountainy beauty in outrageous colors...go to New Hampshire or Vermont. Leaves have turned here, but nothin' special.

I am the same way. It's like "oh yeah", look at that. But it is pretty. I agree, NH is really beautiful. THe Kangamangus Highway is a great place to go. Plus it has a cool name.

MMario
10-15-2007, 11:06 AM
For years I have planned my fall vacation to be over Columbus Day weekend - traditionally near or at the peak of fall colour; a bit of a disappointment this year - though there were a few spots.

As I drive across much of NY then through the Berkshires to Cape Cod - usually at least one section is brilliiant. and in a *good* year - sections that are green in one direction are in full colour when driving the "other way" home, four or five days later. Wish I could afford another trip east this year.

Stonington
10-15-2007, 12:53 PM
For years I have planned my fall vacation to be over Columbus Day weekend - traditionally near or at the peak of fall colour; a bit of a disappointment this year - though there were a few spots.

As I drive across much of NY then through the Berkshires to Cape Cod - usually at least one section is brilliiant. and in a *good* year - sections that are green in one direction are in full colour when driving the "other way" home, four or five days later. Wish I could afford another trip east this year.

It is gorgeous here! The color is the best this year! I love fall- the colors, smells.... I attached picturs that I took in Rangeley on a very cloudy day 10/08/07--the colors were beautiful even though it was cloudy and foggy- imagine it with the sun out. :heart:
(sorry for the blurry one lol--was kind of cool up on the overlook)
anne
n sebago, me

MMario
10-15-2007, 01:11 PM
what a difference a week can make - heck , what a differnece a *day* can make sometimes. I remember one year where there was virtually no colour along Rt. 495 on Saturday. Sunday about a dozen people from various locations had to drive a stretch where a maple had "popped" overnight to a brilliant red - and it was a major topic of converasation when we met later that day.

meearnol
10-15-2007, 03:06 PM
I live in Indiana, and we usually have BEAUTIFUL leaves down by Indiana University (who got whooped by Michigan on Saturday), but since the weather has been completely insane lately (it was 90 a week ago, and it was 58 this morning) there hasn't been much of anything to look at. I'm a little sad, because it's my favorite part of fall.

I'm hoping the leaves change soon. I want to see those colors!!

Sharly
10-16-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm sure our colors here in Alabama are nothing to compare to some of the other states mentioned, but this year, due to the drought, we have even less fall colors. Unfortunatley, the leaves started "turning" some time ago due to lack of water :cry: