PDA

View Full Version : My First Dye Job

KnitClickChick
10-14-2007, 07:04 PM
This is my first attempt at dyeing my own yarn. It was easier than I thought it was going to be, and so cool!! I used Lion Wool, Winter White. My 'dye' was Kool-Aid - Strawberry, Orange, and Lemon. I used one pack each. It was amazing how the yarn just sucked all the color out of the water!! The pictures aren't too good, the lighting in my kitchen looks yellow so the colors look a bit darker than they really are -- the colors are what I would call bold pastels. I'm really pleased with my first attempt, but I think next time I will use 2 packs, for stronger color.

Lady Violet
10-14-2007, 08:18 PM
that's gorgeous! i'd say you passed your first dye test with flying COLORS! :yay:

what method did you use (i.e. "turkey baster," jars, etc...)?

KnitClickChick
10-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks! I used jars, in a pot on the stove. I'm going to be getting some more Kool Aid tomorrow. I have a feeling I am going to have to get a few more jars too! :happydance:

Lady Violet
10-14-2007, 09:16 PM
i have the yarn and koolaid to dye, several jars left over from chocolate sauce christmas presents, and a pot sitting in the garage waiting for me to rescue it from its impending garage sale doom. i hope they're all the right size. :think:

i'll be able to get started next monday when i have three whole weeks at home. i work in a year-round school and i'll be tracked out (i.e. on vacation). i'm stoked! :woohoo:

jeanius80
10-14-2007, 11:46 PM
i love those colors :) nice job!

mullerslanefarm
10-15-2007, 02:38 PM
very pretty!!!

rorygilmore
10-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I love the colors, I dyed a skein kind of like yours. I used pink lemonade,orange and cherry for mine.

The.Knitter
10-16-2007, 04:35 PM
You did wonderfully. Those colours are lovely and rich. Will you be able to wash the garment without the dye coming out? Anyways, I had a laugh when I read your title "My First Dye Job". I have to admit that my first dye job was when I was 28, but then again, I am not talking yarn now, but premature grey hair. Anyways, congrats. You did a wonderful job.