PDA

View Full Version : wwyd--s/o licensing/copyrights etc

MamaMer
10-16-2007, 04:08 PM
A few months ago, a new woman came to our weekly knitting group, and she started knitting all these baby/children's hats (pumpkin, raspberry, strawberry) etc. and they were from an already established pattern written by a well known designer.

Then she said she was knitting them to sell in her shop (she deals in antiques, old quilts and other "boutique-y" items in a small shop in our quaint little downtown area).

This raised my eyebrows, as I thought that this wasn't allowed, this is someone else's pattern, you can't knit it up and then turn around and try to profit off of it can you?

But the lys owner and several employees there didn't say anything, so maybe I was wrong? Not that I am looking to tattle on her or anything, bcs she has since stopped coming to the group, I haven't the slightest what her shop's name is, so I wouldn't even know where to find her, but still, it felt wrong.

Wwyd if this happens again or of she comes in to knit some more hats again? Say something? Zip you lip? Or is it even wrong?

brendajos
10-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Yes it is generally wrong. I would probably play it off as a "oooh you got to correspond with ____ when you got permission for that... how cool! Did you talk to him/her about anything else or just that? I would love to talk to him/her!"

Yes i am JUST that passive aggressive...lol (though i don't feign fake enthusiasm for "celebrity" very well...lol)

MMario
10-16-2007, 04:21 PM
according to many (not all) copyright lawyers - the copyright extends ONLY to the pattern - not to the product UNLESS specifically stated in the pattern that it is not to be used for other then personal use OR unless it is specifically marketed as a 'license' rather then a pattern.

iza
10-16-2007, 04:22 PM
:?? It's a tough one! Maybe she just doesn't know it's against copyright, or it could be that she did agree with the designer beforehand.

I wouldn't know what to do either. I think I would probably say something like "Oh that's nice, so you got an agreement with the designer"? then if she says no, I would say "I thought it was against copyright, but maybe I'm wrong" and just leave it there. :shrug: Yes it's passive aggressive, but if she just doesn't know, you could save her a lot of trouble by telling her!

suzeeq
10-16-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm with Mario... It's only against the copyright if it's specifically stated that the pattern can't be used for profit.