PDA

View Full Version : Knitting for a guy...

cindygster
10-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I'd like to knit something really nice for my boyf for Christmas, but I'm afraid of doing a fitted garment since I never have before (I'd like to make a couple crappy ones to practice before I start handing them out to people)... Any suggestions for a masculine scarf or something?:knitting:

Thanks all!!

MMario
10-18-2007, 12:51 PM
irish hiking scarf or palindrome scarf - with a matching hat might be nice.

stirsmommy
10-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I am making Silver's scarf using malabrigo in a dark green and blue colorway for my guy for his birthday. I am making a Christmas stocking for his Christmas that I will fill with goodies.

brittyknits
10-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Have you seen the book, Never Knit Your Man a Sweater, Unless You've Got the Ring?:rofl: Because her philosophy is to give length-of-relationship-appropriate gifts, there are plenty of "guy" items well before the sweater stuff.

bellium
10-18-2007, 01:47 PM
i just did this (http://droppedastitch.blogspot.com/2006/11/fatherdaughter-hat.html) hat for my husband for his birthday, and it was very well received. it isn't hard to make, although there is what i believe a pattern mistake - you should knit 3 inches of stockingette after the ribbing, not 1 inch, as the pattern suggests. i did it in a soft, washable wool, and my husband wears it all the time.

knitgal
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm making my bf a hat because he definitely won't wear a scarf even though we live in Canada. It depends on what you feel like making, something flat, or something in the round. There are lots of great manly hat patterns, here's the one I am going to make: http://www.crumpart.net/patterns/chocribhatpattern.htm

Sunny_Singer
10-19-2007, 02:40 AM
My husband is anxious for me to knit him socks... he chose his own colors even... lol

If they won't wear a hat, and rather spurn scarves... maybe socks would be a suggestion, as everyone wears socks!

For his birthday, which is next week, I made a seat cushion for his car, out of Lion Suede which I found on sale for 99 cents a skein. He tried buying regular seat cushions, everything was too thick. This is about 1/2 inch thick instead of 1 1/2 or thicker.

The.Knitter
10-19-2007, 03:57 AM
I have to agree with the Palindrome Scarf (Silver's Scarf) and Palindrome hat (Silver's palindrome hat) set. Those are "manly" and also reversible. Some nice blue yarn or (depending on the colour of his winter coat) brown or even dark green. I'm sure if you make it, he will know every stitch is made with love. Happy Knitting.

jess_hawk
10-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Hats are a huge favorite for me as gifts for guys. I made some for my friends last year and had a couple of requests because other friends found out that I do double knitting in really warm yarns (alpaca is my favorite) and it results in a really soft warm hat even though I use "masculine" colors and simple, masculine designs - so guys get a hat that will keep out the cold on the coldest of Iowa days (maybe not -70, but they'll work in -15), and is soft on tender, cold ears without giving in to wearing anything "girly."

Another benefit: since I do double knitting, I can do any two color design I want. If you're interested, I can give you my basic pattern. Its a little different from what you'll find online, but it seems to work well.

lelvsdgs
10-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Have you seen the book, Never Knit Your Man a Sweater, Unless You've Got the Ring?:rofl: Because her philosophy is to give length-of-relationship-appropriate gifts, there are plenty of "guy" items well before the sweater stuff.
Yeah, I didn't see this until I had almost finished the sweater... :roflhard: I did start out with a scarf but jumped to a sweater. He loves it...

dakatzmeow
10-23-2007, 01:32 AM
i'm thinking 'hat' for my new bf.

sue in canada
10-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Jess_hawk, I would love to see your pattern

jess_hawk
10-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Got any requests as to what design you would like to have on it? Otherwise I can just post the "generic" pattern, which has three stripes about halfway up. Sorry, I don't have any pictures anymore. But other patterns I've done have been "random" dots stripe, flame (used the intarsia chart from HeadHuggers), currently working on Pirates, and I have a chart drawn up for zig zag stripes. But I can make up anything.

cindygster
10-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Hats are a huge favorite for me as gifts for guys. I made some for my friends last year and had a couple of requests because other friends found out that I do double knitting in really warm yarns (alpaca is my favorite) and it results in a really soft warm hat even though I use "masculine" colors and simple, masculine designs - so guys get a hat that will keep out the cold on the coldest of Iowa days (maybe not -70, but they'll work in -15), and is soft on tender, cold ears without giving in to wearing anything "girly."

Another benefit: since I do double knitting, I can do any two color design I want. If you're interested, I can give you my basic pattern. Its a little different from what you'll find online, but it seems to work well.
Yeah!! The pattern would be great! Thank you! :D

cindygster
10-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Just the basic for me...I'm pretty new to this

jess_hawk
10-23-2007, 07:46 PM
The Super-Warm Winter Hat

Materials:
Two balls of yarn in similar weight, and different colors (you can do this with two of the same color, its just really hard to keep the yarns straight)
1 circular needle in a size appropriate for the yarn
4 dpns in the same size as the circular needle
Stitch markers

Notes:
For simplicity, I am going to use the following notations:
M – k1 main color, p1 contrasting color
C – k1 contrasting color, p1 main color
Think of each set of two stitches as a single stitch set, and don’t finish for the day after doing a knit stitch until you’ve got the hang of it.

Typically, if the hat I am knitting fits my head, it will fit the heads of most people unless they are unusually large or small people. Before you begin, you should probably measure and check your gauge to be sure that you cast on the right number. For this pattern, use multiples of six. The number I usually use is 90. That is the number of stitches that I will use for the instructions. If you have problems with adjusting this number, please let me know.

The DECREASE:
When you get to where it says Dec M, here’s what you do (You may want to practice this a couple of times before you get to the hat):
Slip your needle knitwise under the next two main color stitches. Its just like doing a k2tog, except you have to be sure not to pick up the contrasting stitch between these two.
Knit these two together, but when you take them off the other needle, be sure that you don’t knock the contrasting color stitch off.
Now, do a p2tog with the contrasting color stitches that are now right next to each other on the needle.
Continue on your merry way. Its really that easy!

Begin:
Holding both yarns together, CO90 on the circular needle. Place stitch markers every 15 stitches. You may have to knit a few rounds on the dpns, if your circ is too long.
Place a double marker (or if you have a special marker, use it. Just so its different from the others) as you join the stitches in the round. Still holding both strands together, k1p1 rib for one round.
Here’s the fun part. Separate the two strands. Now observe the stitches you have already made: each one has two strands in it, right? We are now going to treat each strand as a separate stitch. Pick up one strand to knit with the main color, then pick up the other to purl with the contrasting color. Continue all the way around.
Congratulations! That was the hard part. Every other stitch should now be a different color, starting with the main color.
M sets for 15 rounds. This should be about the height of your ear.
C sets for 2 rounds.
M sets for 2 rounds.
C sets for 5 rounds.
M sets for 2 rounds.
C sets for 2 rounds.
M sets for 15 rounds. If you try on the hat now, it should come to no more than two inches from the top of your head. If it doesn’t, add a couple more rounds.
M13 (you should have two sets or four stitches before the marker), Mdec; repeat to end of round.
M around two times.
M12, Mdec; repeat to end of round.
M around once.
M11, Mdec; repeat to end of round.
M around once.
M10, Mdec; repeat to end of round.
M around once.
M9, Mdec; repeat to end of round.
M8, Mdec; repeat to end of round.
M7, Mdec; repeat to end of round.
Repeat in this manner until 6 sets (12 stitches) remain. Switch to dpns as needed.

Finishing:
Place contrasting color stitches on a stitch holder. Cut both yarns, leaving about 8 inches of tail. Thread the main color yarn through the main color stitches. Poke the tail to the inside of the hat, turn the hat inside out, and tie off. Now thread the contrasting color yarn through the contrasting color stitches and tie off.
You may add a pom-pom if you desire.

brittyknits
10-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for so generously sharing:muah:! I just printed it out-- it looks like a fabulous design!

jess_hawk
10-23-2007, 09:41 PM
No problem. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

kym
10-23-2007, 10:04 PM
I knitted my boyfriend a hat and made it in "manly" colors. The irish hiking scarf is a good one. You can even get camo yarn hehe.

cindygster
10-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Oh wow thank you so much!! :cheering: Got any pics of the finished product?

jess_hawk
10-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Unfortunately no pictures, partly because my computer is currently being worked on so I have no pictures at ALL (the CDs are all at home), but I really don't have any good pictures of the finished product on it anyway. When I get my computer back I will hopefully be able to take one of them and load it on here.

cindygster
10-26-2007, 03:30 PM
No biggie! I've never worked a pattern w/o a picture of the FO with it. This could be fun!!! :woot:

jess_hawk
10-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Just a note, when you knit 1 main color, purl 1 contrast color, you move both yarns together when you do double knitting. I don't know if you've ever done it before, so thought I'd be sure you know that.