PDA

View Full Version : Great Big Afghan/Blanket?

flea
10-19-2007, 04:52 AM
I want to knit a big ole blanket. One that two people can cuddle up under with some give room for the space that the dog will claim. Most, if not all, of the patterns I find for afghans are more of the throw/lapghan variety.

Are there any patterns of which you are aware that are already written to be big like that? Or, failing that, is there a lot of brain work involved in knitting panels and stitching them together? I haven't done much stitching as of this moment. My stitches are kind of... Well... Fugly.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

tilllie
10-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Pick afull size pattern you like and make two...cast on double the number of stitches and go from there. I rarely do panels when I make afghans....cast on all the stitches to make all the panels at once, put a marker where each panel starts.
Good luck!!! If you do make squares, start to seam them together as you are making them....its very daunting to have a pile of two or three dozen squares to put together!!

divagirl
10-19-2007, 01:28 PM
http://knitpicks.com/Abundance+Afghan_PD50502220.html

This is the Abundance Afghan from KnitPicks. It huge!! I also love ginormous afghans. the Suri Dream is so soft and nice to work with.

SabrinaJL
10-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I made this for my husband (that's a full size bed its on). I HATE seaming with a passion so I knit it all at once. I cast on 200 sts (with a worsted weight yarn held doubled) on size 13's. The pic isn't very good but the blue stripes are garter and the grey are stockinette with a 10 st. garter border on each side. It was long and tedious but very easy to make.

http://sabrinajl.com/cgi/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/blanket1.jpg

cranberry
10-19-2007, 02:12 PM
That's why I like crochet. It's faster and you don't have the seaming issue. ;)

There is a cute pattern in the Holiday version of Interweave Knits. It uses bulky yarn that is held with two strands together (another idea to make it go faster) It was pretty, but simple enough so you wouldn't go crazy. Not sure on the size but you could easily make it bigger. It did seem pretty big though.

flea
10-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Lots of great options. Now I just have to make up my mind which way to go and get the goodies to do it.

Thanks everyone!

Debkcs
10-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Flea, your puppy is adorable. Thanks for asking the question that

DivaGirl, answered so brilliantly! Think I'll take my Christmas $$ and order that kit. Love the colors available.

Sandi
10-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I just finished an afghan. Although it's not for two people I did make it bigger than the pattern called for.
The problem I had was the weight of it as it got bigger. Did quite a number on my hands.

It may be easier to do 2 seperate pieces and seam them together.

Happy knitting......
:knitting:

Plantgoddess+
10-21-2007, 04:58 PM
If you do decide to work in panels, I find that crocheting them together is an attractive alternative to sewing.