PDA

View Full Version : Knitting In The Clouds

Knitting_Guy
10-20-2007, 11:14 AM
I went through a snowstorm yesterday. A snowstorm! Already! It was snowing pretty hard as I came across Snoqualmie Pass in WA. It changed back to rain as I dropped back down off the mountain. It's too early for this crap.

I'm stuck for the weekend in a truckstop east of Seattle as I was delayed by a combination of weather and a bad truck wreck that happened right in front of me so I couldn't deliver yesterday as planned.

I have a nice view of the cloud wrapped mountains right out my windshield. Very pretty scenery. And I have my knitting to work on while stuck here.

It's cold, rainy, damp weather here so staying inside and knitting is a perfect thing to be doing here. I have my generator running with the heat on low, just enough to knock off the chill.

I should be doing some housekeeping and clean the truck up a bit, and I probably will before the weekend is out, but for now I think I'll just knit.

dustinac
10-20-2007, 11:33 AM
aww that stinks... the scenery can make up for some but not all... I hope the ones in the wreck were ok and you can be on your way soon...

stirsmommy
10-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Mason,
What are you working on since your scarf and hat are done. With the weather you are having it is good you got done!

cindycactus
10-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Mason, I sure am glad to hear you made your trip safely. I have been checking in on your blog and that was one scary trip. :grphug:

suzeeq
10-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Yeah, Snoqualmie's like that sometimes... At least it's a pretty place to be stuck in -- once the clouds lift.

Knitting_Guy
10-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks folks. I've been stuck in worse places. At least the scenery is good (what isn't covered in clouds).

I'm currently working on a black scarf, Silver's Palindrome pattern, and will probably do a matching hat for it.

I need to get some yarn to make some nice heavy wool socks for this Winter.

suzeeq
10-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Hmmm, are you near Issaquah, or further west? I think there should be stores close by....

Knitting_Guy
10-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Hmmm, are you near Issaquah, or further west? I think there should be stores close by....

I'm in the North Bend area. Not really much around here except the truckstop. They don't allow trailer dropping here so I can't take my tractor anywhere and am limited to walking distance.

Jan in CA
10-20-2007, 12:55 PM
~sigh~ I love that kind of weather, maybe because we never get it here. :shrug: It's perfect for sitting by the fire and knitting or reading... I don't recommend you have a fire in your truck though. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
10-20-2007, 12:56 PM
~sigh~ I love that kind of weather, maybe because we never get it here. :shrug: It's perfect for sitting by the fire and knitting or reading... I don't recommend you have a fire in your truck though. :teehee:

:rofl: Probably wouldn't be the best of ideas.

I'm a warm weather person and not overly fond of chilly, damp weather at all.

KnitClickChick
10-20-2007, 01:15 PM
That stinks about the weather, but I imagine it must be pretty peaceful? Kind of Jack and the Beanstalk-ish, what with those clouds and all. :) Stay safe!

debinoz
10-20-2007, 05:01 PM
DH said he worked in about 3 inches of snow yesterday. He was putting in a foundation up on a mountain near Rapid City, SD.

I'm not a cold weather person either. I absolutely refuse to drive if there is any kind of snow/ice on the streets. Someone always runs in to me. Don't like hot weather either. It's hard to find somewhere that is always sunny 75 with a slight breeze!

Phretys
10-21-2007, 12:04 AM
It's hard to find somewhere that is always sunny 75 with a slight breeze!

That describes Hawaii in April... or February... or anytime there isn't one of those pesky hurricanes around. :teehee:

Debi

rissa
10-21-2007, 10:06 AM
So glad you are safe, knitting-guy! It sure is beautiful up there. One thing about a snow like that is it blocks out all the distracting annoying sounds and kinda envelops you in your own little cocoon. I love how peaceful it gets, but absolutely hate driving on it. Be safe! :)

redmom37
10-21-2007, 01:45 PM
and you did'nt come & visit:tap:,LOL.

Knitting_Guy
10-21-2007, 02:01 PM
and you did'nt come & visit:tap:,LOL.

Didn't even stop in Spokane. At that point I was still hoping to make it on time. :shrug:

Sandi
10-21-2007, 03:12 PM
It's a beautifull part of the country. Have driven through a few times myself.
You never know what you are going to get for weather,especially at this time of year......

But, you will think i'm crazy, I Love the Snow!

Can't wait for snowboarding season. We have lots of snow in the mountains here already.

Drive safe and happy knitting.
:knitting:

NinaT
10-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Luckily most of that moisture didn't make it over the Pass to here (Spokane)!! I live just North of Spokane and I am most definitely NOT ready for snow.

jeanius80
10-22-2007, 04:09 AM
that snow must have been the last of the yucky downpours we were getting a short bit ago.. glad to know you made up and over and back safe! it can be scary when the weather is bad!

msoebel
10-22-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm a warm weather person and not overly fond of chilly, damp weather at all.

Sucks to be a knitter then, huh? Just one of the reasons I love living in Michigan: I have a bazillion opportunities every year to wear my hand knitted items (or see them worn, more appropriately, since the only thing I have ever made for me was one hat).

Really, there's no accounting for tastes! I am one of those crazy people who just loves all 4 seasons...but would rather be cold than hot. When I'm cold, I can just keep layering on more cozies. When I'm hot...well, you can only get to naked. If you're still hot, there's not much you can do about it.

I love the north west. I wouldn't want to live there, but the landscape is amazing. Dh grew up in Idaho, and I love going up there to visit. We don't have a lot of hills over here.

Sissy
10-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh Mason you lucky dog.....I was born in California, and only got to go to Seattle a couple times .The place is gorgeous.....I'll probably never see again now that I'm stuck in the middle of Texas..........Its to far..........Sissy

Duckling326
10-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Mason, I used to live in North Bend. Not much going on there huh!! I know in Issaquah there is a yarn shop in Gilman Village. There's a nice little tavern down the street from Truck Town called Mt. Si. Tavern. Well when I worked there it was nice. I don't know what it is like now. If you need new food and like pizza, Frankie's Pizza is the best!!!

Dangles
10-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Mason, nice new avatar btw.

jodstr2
10-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Snoqualmie Pass is gorgeous :heart:
North Bend is a cute little town. :heart:

Knitting_Guy
10-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Mason, I used to live in North Bend. Not much going on there huh!! I know in Issaquah there is a yarn shop in Gilman Village. There's a nice little tavern down the street from Truck Town called Mt. Si. Tavern. Well when I worked there it was nice. I don't know what it is like now. If you need new food and like pizza, Frankie's Pizza is the best!!!

I accidentally walked the mile and half down to the Mt Si Tavern Friday night. It's a pretty nice place. One of the locals gave me a ride back to my truck.

Knitting_Guy
10-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Sucks to be a knitter then, huh? Just one of the reasons I love living in Michigan: I have a bazillion opportunities every year to wear my hand knitted items (or see them worn, more appropriately, since the only thing I have ever made for me was one hat).

Really, there's no accounting for tastes! I am one of those crazy people who just loves all 4 seasons...but would rather be cold than hot. When I'm cold, I can just keep layering on more cozies. When I'm hot...well, you can only get to naked. If you're still hot, there's not much you can do about it.

I love the north west. I wouldn't want to live there, but the landscape is amazing. Dh grew up in Idaho, and I love going up there to visit. We don't have a lot of hills over here.

As I'm always on the road I get to wear my bad knitting a lot. :rofl:

Heat has never bothered me but I can't stand being cold.

Knitting_Guy
10-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Oh Mason you lucky dog.....I was born in California, and only got to go to Seattle a couple times .The place is gorgeous.....I'll probably never see again now that I'm stuck in the middle of Texas..........Its to far..........Sissy

Yeah it is pretty country up here. I'm spending tonight in a small town right on the Canadian border.

Songbirdy
10-22-2007, 11:35 PM
I love the atmosphere in small towns :)

and being a Canadian... :teehee:

My FIL trucks long-haul, which it sounds like you do too, and he always comes back with great stories.

Anyhow...

Ronda
10-23-2007, 08:47 AM
I've probably missed the post of your finished hat/scarf, so sorry if this is a repeat or in the wrong place....but I noticed your picture there. I see your hat and scarf are all done! You did a perfect job! I love the colors. Your scarf is cabled, right? They are GREAT!!!!

Knitting_Guy
10-23-2007, 09:20 AM
I love the atmosphere in small towns :)

and being a Canadian... :teehee:

My FIL trucks long-haul, which it sounds like you do too, and he always comes back with great stories.

Anyhow...

Yep I do long haul and if nothing else it is good for a story or three.

Dangles
10-24-2007, 03:17 AM
Where bouts in Canada, Mason? Wonder if you are close enough to meet for coffee

Knitting_Guy
10-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Where bouts in Canada, Mason? Wonder if you are close enough to meet for coffee

I was at the border on I-5, little town called Blaine, WA.

Dangles
10-24-2007, 12:20 PM
My goodness you are only about five miles from my place.:noway: Should have came up here for a quick visit ;)