PDA

View Full Version : Pecans?

jdee
10-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know about pecans. I have a tree in my yard that has produced waayyy more pecans that usual. I keep picking them up of the yarn and putting them in a box. I asked my sister if she wanted some, and I happened to mention that some of them are still in the little pod thing. She told me that the ones that haven't shed that pod are probably no good. Is this true? I had never heard that before. we had a whole limb fall off the tree durning a storm, and it had tons of pecans on it. But since they're still in the pod, does that mean we can't use them?

Krystal
10-20-2007, 07:47 PM
The pod is designed to open to release a matured pecan. An unopened pod basically indicates the nut hasn't matured. Essentially you could just open it and eat one, if it tastes bad spit it out, if tastes delicious and pecan like, you are ok.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-20-2007, 08:53 PM
I have a tree in my yard that has produced waayyy more pecans that usual. I keep picking them up of the yarn and putting them in a box.

Only a true knitter makes that typo :)

jdee
10-20-2007, 08:55 PM
:roflhard:I didn't even notice it.

Lady Violet
10-20-2007, 10:58 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

rissa
10-21-2007, 10:09 AM
:roflhard: I like that typo! Time to get knittin! :knitting:

I have no clue about the pecan tho, we stay away from all tree nuts as my daughter is deathly allergic, but I must say that I kinda miss having them, hehe. Hope they are still good for ya!

Lighting57
10-21-2007, 03:07 PM
The pecans in the hulls/pods or not mature and horrible to the taste. They are only ready to eat after they the hull has fallen away and they have dropped or are about ready to drop from the tree. I live in eastern South Carolina, USA and pecans usually are ready around the first of the year here.

If your crop is very abundunt this year and you have much more than you need, you might be able to sale them to a local merchant. People around here do and they can be very expensive to buy. Perhaps this is a way to make you some extra yarn money.

Pecans produce a good crop about every other year.
Sandra from SC

Silver
10-21-2007, 03:35 PM
My dad always complains when he gets a can of "premium mixed nuts". He asks "Why are there only 3 pecans in this whole $8 can when I can walk down the street and pick up a bucketfull for free?" :teehee:

marykz
10-21-2007, 05:38 PM
man- i was hoping you were going to say you could send some to me!!! LOL- I love pecans, and I have a lovely recipe from Southern Living that makes the yummiest toasted spiced pecans. I give them as gifts every year..... lets see if I can find the link....

http://www.southernliving.com/southern/images/extras_ss/features/474633/SweetSpiceBlendRecipeIdeas.pdf

I customize it a bit, but stick mostly to that recipe..... give it a try!

mrs desert rain
10-22-2007, 04:26 PM
we have pecans all over the place as well! the one in our front yard is about half the size of that in our back yard, but it has produced twice as many pecans. and, they're so yummy. i have two bags full... wish i could figure out a way to crack dozens at a time. i'm craving pecan pie, but am dreading the prep...

jdee
10-22-2007, 05:16 PM
They sure produced this year, didn't they? I've been picking up pecans almost every day, and putting them in a box on the screened in porch, and I'm going to have to get another box, because that one is full. I guess it's because we had such a rainy spring here. I'm about 100 miles northeast of Dallas. Did it rain as much where you live?

I know what you mean about the prep work. The reason I haven't tasted them yet, is because I'm too lazy to go crack them. Pitiful, huh?:aww: It's also odd that I'm not too lazy to pick them up off the yard, but cracking them? Well that's just too much work. :roflhard: What is it about the cracking and shelling part of the job?

flea
10-22-2007, 07:10 PM
The cracking and shelling is the worst part! Ugh! I love pecans beyond all natural limits but I still won't sit down and crack a bushel. I'll just stare longingly and wait for someone else to volunteer.

jdee
10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Here are my pecan pictures. The Walmart bag is today's bounty, the box is what I've been collecting since that first limb fell, and the last one is of one from the limb. I think that since the hull has dried up, and began to pull away, I might taste them to see if they're good. I'm afraid if I don't, I'll always wonder. :)