PDA

View Full Version : Any southern CA people here?

figaro
10-22-2007, 04:18 PM
I hope you and all your loved ones are safe! I am watching a live feed from San Diego and it is bringing back memories from the last big fires that were there. I talked to some old neighbors from Vista and unfortunately one of their parents lost a home in the Ramona area. From what I am seeing on here, it is worse than the fires from a few years ago. I always hated those Santa Ana winds, they were so dry and hot.

I will be praying for the winds to stop and the rain to start asap!:pray:

Jan in CA
10-22-2007, 06:43 PM
We are okay. I woke up to a fine layer of ash and that eerie smoky sky. It's also been very windy which isn't helping anything. Right now it's very smoky looking outside and the wind seems a little calmer.

Hope everyone else is okay!

scout52
10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm in San Diego. Its a bit crazy. But at least the sky is orange like last time, but they are saying its worst than the Cedar fire of 4 years ago. a bunch of people at work are being evacuated. The air is soo terrible here. my car is ashy. We just have a skeleton crew here. My work is downtown and my co-workers are offering their homes to each other. its a bit sad bc people here lost their homes last time. and more people are getting evacuated again. so i hope no one loses their home this time. my work has a check in so we know everyone is safe and accounted for.

sugarfunpouch
10-22-2007, 09:04 PM
The fire is soooooo close to my house, luckily it isn't that close that we have to evacuate!!!

scout52
10-22-2007, 10:09 PM
oh sugerfunpouch I really hope you don't have to evacuate!! :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: the air must be soooo bad by you. its bad here and i'm in the city!! good luck!!

ah
10-22-2007, 10:20 PM
We evacuated. Luckily we got a room at a downtown hotel and a friend was able to take our dog. Hopefully the fire and the looters will both miss our house.

I did bring my Options. :)

figaro
10-22-2007, 10:37 PM
What part of San Diego do all of you call home if you don't mind me asking?

sugarfunpouch
10-22-2007, 11:01 PM
oh sugerfunpouch I really hope you don't have to evacuate!! :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: the air must be soooo bad by you. its bad here and i'm in the city!! good luck!!

Thanks, it's really bad! There is ash all of the place and I have been sneezing like crazy!
Plus, I wear contacts, so my eyes hurt too!

scout52
10-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Ah oh you got so lucky that you got a hotel!! they just said all hotels are booked!! i really hope the looters leave your place alone!! :muah::muah::muah: hopefully your house will be there when you get back :hug::hug::hug:

sugerfunpouch i'm grateful i got lasik this time around, it was killer on my contacts last time. i'm so stuffed up. :hug::hug::hug:

I'm right by SDSU. and I work downtown. so i should be ok. hopefully

Jan in CA
10-23-2007, 01:32 AM
What part of San Diego do all of you call home if you don't mind me asking?

I live in Orange County near the Santiago/Foothill Ranch fire.

gamerchik
10-23-2007, 04:10 AM
Ohhh I hope you all are okay.

I'm from Orange County -- born/raised in Mission Viejo, and then lived in Rancho Santa Margarita until last year. I'm in Utah now...a lot different!

*Hugs to all!*

pandaca
10-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm in San Diego, but we're in an area that is safe. I'm going to a Red Cross training at 10 a.m. to see how volunteers can help.

My thoughts are with all of you who have evacuated.

Jan in CA
10-23-2007, 04:20 PM
My DD2 just heard that some friends in Fallbrook lost their house. They apparently evacuated, but were able to go back and were told they believed the fire danger was over for that neighborhood. Apparently not..they watched their neighbors house explode in flames and then their house. They literally ran with nothing more than the clothes on their backs. The woman is 7.5 mos pregnant.

The fire locally has apparently jumped a major road which is bad news and is now burning in a local canyon.

Don't worry..I'm safe. I'm just tired of ash and smoke, but compared to what others are going through I'm well aware I have nothing to complain about.

DQ
10-23-2007, 04:28 PM
How awful :pout:

:hug::hug::hug: for everyone.

Sandi
10-23-2007, 04:28 PM
I hope everyone on here from southern california is safe. It must be hard to live with that fire threat every year.
Have been watching things unfold over the last few days on the news and it's terrible.
Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

Please let us know if we can help in any way at all......

:knitting:

Sanibelle
10-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Oh gosh - my heart goes out to all of you. I hope you stay safe and know that we are all here praying for you..

dmknits
10-23-2007, 04:40 PM
My dad and stepmom had to evacuate from their Escondido home yesterday and are staying at my stepbrother's place in San Diego.

Sharly
10-23-2007, 04:41 PM
:grphug: A big group hug for those affected. Stay safe, everyone. :heart:

scout52
10-23-2007, 04:58 PM
This is the biggest evacuation San Diego County has ever had and we have this HUGE convention and no one has canceled it. so NO Hotel rooms available because it. the number of people evacuated is no 500,000. Its unbelievable!!!!!!

SabrinaJL
10-23-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm from San Diego but conveniently, my daughter and I are staying with my family in New Mexico right now (until mid Nov). Some friends of ours live in Escondido and I haven't been able to get ahold of them so I'm a little worried.

Since I was going to be gone so long, I took my husbands car to another friends house so she could keep an eye on it and start it once a week for us. They were told to prepare to evacuate. Of course, I'm more worried about my friends, but it's gonna suck if something happens to my husband's car.

dustinac
10-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm not in CA...but just wanted to let you guys know I've been thinking about ya...:hug:

ladyjessica
10-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Whether you've been evacuated or are waiting to hear what needs done, or if you're just worried about family and friends, my thoughts and prayers are with everybody affected by these horrible fires. I'm traveling to Sacramento on Friday and I hope everything is under control by then. :cry: Stay safe, everybody. :grphug:

Phretys
10-23-2007, 11:22 PM
I live in Highland, near the fires that are further north around Lake Arrowhead and Running Springs. Last I heard, the fire was only 12 miles north -- correction: 5 miles away -- of my town, but fortunately the winds that were blowing southeast have temporarily shifted back northwards.

Schools in my area were cancelled Tuesday morning, and more schools will be closed Wednesday as well. My daughter is so worried and has been talking to her school friends all night because many of them are preparing to evacuate. I don't think my home is in any danger because I'm away from the foothills, but several of my relatives live right up on the north edge of town where the danger is the greatest.

Debi

HollyP
10-23-2007, 11:38 PM
You all are in my prayers!! What a scary scary time this must be for you.:hug: Take care and stay safe!

newamy
10-23-2007, 11:42 PM
That's so terrible...especially since they thought it was safe. I have a friend in Vista who says they are fine, she said the fires are to the South, East, and North of them... I'm not terrible good at CA eography but with the ocean to the West she sounded surrounded.

I saw today a group had started on ravelry to make 8" knitted squares for fire victims.

Jan in CA
10-24-2007, 12:36 PM
The smoke is worse today than it has been. The sky is smoky and the sun and shadows are red. It's quiet, with no wind and very, very eerie out there.

Something about all this is affecting me healthwise..I've been having bad allergy symptoms I don't normally have. Ugh.

ah
10-24-2007, 02:16 PM
So far so good for us. Our neighborhood is fine. Unfortunately, four of our friends appear to have lost their homes. They haven't been allowed back yet to confirm. My son has a serious lung condition so we are worried about the air quality.

Kaydee
10-24-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm so glad to hear that you all in southern CA are safe. I hope you and your loved ones stay safe and out of harms way. You're all in my thoughts. :hug:

scout52
10-24-2007, 02:32 PM
ah most of the news websites are posting which stores have in stock the face masks. can you get one for your son? the last i check dixieline had them in stock. ( i checked for my sec'y who has copd)

figaro
10-24-2007, 06:28 PM
newamy, I used to live in Vista. The ocean is less than 10 miles as the crow flies. I was there for the Ceder Fire and that area really did feel safe. Although my old neighbors have all their important papers, wedding pics and whatnot together, just in case.

ah
10-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I live near the 56 and the 15. My husband stopped by our house today and it is fine. We have four friends who are waiting to see if their houses are gone.

Limey
10-25-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm so glad to hear that you all in southern CA are safe. I hope you and your loved ones stay safe and out of harms way. You're all in my thoughts. :hug:

That goes for me too.

We've been seeing the horrendous destruction on the TV news over here. I hope that wind dies down very soon - it's making things a thousand times worse.

Glad to know you're ok Jan and hope you can find somewhere away from the ash and smoke or at least, where it's not quite so bad.
Ellie

Sharly
10-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Hey Jan - I just saw in another post of yours that your hubby is a firefighter. Has he been working on the San Diego fire?
Hope you guys are all safe!!

Jan in CA
10-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey Jan - I just saw in another post of yours that your hubby is a firefighter. Has he been working on the San Diego fire?
Hope you guys are all safe!!

He's been retired since 2001. Previous to that though he worked many brush fires. I've some amusing photos..let me see if I can find them.

Found them! :teehee: That's him standing next to the fire truck and he's the one on the left, on the cell phone, in the next one. He's talking to me! Everyone asks me "Why are they just sitting there when there's a fire??!!"... the answer is because it was their job to watch that side of the street because as you can see there is brush right by them. Fires jump firebreaks/streets so it's necessary to do that. Looks funny though! Oh and I'm not sure off the top of my head when this fire was..

sugarfunpouch
10-25-2007, 08:14 PM
I live in Orange County near the Santiago/Foothill Ranch fire.
I live there too!!!!!! OMG! That's cool!

Sharly
10-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Jan, I'm glad to know he's not out there fighting that one. It's so tragic. I just saw the death toll this morning.

Those pictures are awesome! It is kind of funny, them just standing around with the raging fire in the background. Makes me think of Nero and his fiddle!