PDA

View Full Version : DD sick for going on 2 weeks now . . .

zkimom
10-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh argh!:hair:

Started out as just a little cough, sniffles and low grade fever. Worked into 103 degree temp with lots of coughing, upset tummy, headaches. We have been to the pediatrician 3 times to listen to her lungs (there were several cases of pneumonia at her school) but every time we went in she had no fever and her lungs were clear.

Then at night fever goes up and she coughs her brains out again.

Her temp was going down and I thought I'd send her to school but the cough persists and she is waking me up every night between 3 and 4 am. I even took her out yesterday to buy some Halloween stuff thinking she was getting better. Last night temp was back up to almost 101.

Of course this is dh's heavy travel time for work and he is coming home tonight after being away for a week, home for a day and then gone for a week again. He will be home til Sunday and then gone for 2 more weeks!

It's just me and my 2 kids and we are all stuck in the house until we can figure out what is going on with her (I'm homeschooling my older son so he is stuck here along with us without a break to go to school.)

Am waiting for the ped to call to see if we have to take her in for a chest xray.

Argh. Just needed to vent.

Back to your knitting, guys, and thanks for listening.

Susan

stitchwitch
10-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Have them look into her sinuses. I had the same thing a couple of years ago. I'd function pretty decent during the day albeit tired from coughing all night long then my fever would skyrocket at night and I'd be sick again. I had a raging sinus infection that kept draining down my throat causing the coughing and fever. It was really hard to get a handle on, it took me a good three months to get back to normal because I kept thinking it was a chest cold when in fact it was a sinus infection draining into my lungs. :ick:

auburnchick
10-26-2007, 11:17 AM
:hug:

yarnfreak
10-26-2007, 12:09 PM
:hug: I hope she's better soon. I hate when the kiddos are sick for so long. Make sure to try and get some rest yourself. Yeah, I know that's easier said than done.

PurlyGyrl
10-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Dang. Hope things get better soon :hug:

Abbily
10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Aww, I hope you get an answer soon and she gets better quickly! I second the sinus suggestion. Everything up there is connected, so if it is a sinus infection it will eventually spread to ears, eyes, etc.

zkimom
10-26-2007, 06:31 PM
I figured out why she's still sick! Turns out she's been tossing her antibiotics out the back door when I turn my head.:gah:

I was so proud of her for learning how to swallow a pill on her own (she's 9) -- she doesn't like the taste so she won't chew them. I have been chopping them into smaller pieces and giving them to her in a dish with a glass of juice. When I'm not looking she tosses them out onto the back patio!

I was clueless, really, I thought she was taking them -- she did for a couple of days which was why she was getting better. Then she figured out her little plan and her fever started going up. OY VEY!

You should have seen her try to weasel her way out of it. Even blamed it on the dog!

And there I was thinking the worst and preparing to take her in for bloodwork and chest xrays!

She promises she'll take her pills now that Halloween is coming closer and closer.

Here's hoping she's back in school Monday!

KnittingNat
10-26-2007, 07:50 PM
:hug:Glad that everything turned out that way and wasn't something worse than that.

G J
10-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Wow! You've got a sneaky one there! My daughter still has trouble taking pills and she's 19! She tries really hard, but she chokes really easily (takes after her dad). I'm amazed at how many meds are available as liquids or instant melt in your mouth. For her sake, I'm glad!

KnitClickChick
10-26-2007, 08:16 PM
:teehee: Sneaky, sneaky! Glad you finally figured out what the problem was, now she can get better!!

cheley
10-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I figured out why she's still sick! Turns out she's been tossing her antibiotics out the back door when I turn my head.:gah:

I was so proud of her for learning how to swallow a pill on her own (she's 9) -- she doesn't like the taste so she won't chew them. I have been chopping them into smaller pieces and giving them to her in a dish with a glass of juice. When I'm not looking she tosses them out onto the back patio!

I was clueless, really, I thought she was taking them -- she did for a couple of days which was why she was getting better. Then she figured out her little plan and her fever started going up. OY VEY!

You should have seen her try to weasel her way out of it. Even blamed it on the dog!

And there I was thinking the worst and preparing to take her in for bloodwork and chest xrays!

She promises she'll take her pills now that Halloween is coming closer and closer.

Here's hoping she's back in school Monday!:evil: How did you not hang her upside down by her heels:ick: ...right now I am dealing with streph throat with a 5 year old....I have too have all of her med's flavored "grape" or she refuses to take them:biting: therefore, all tylenol, motrin and antibiotics are flavored....she's fine till the fever peaks...usually at 4:00 a.m. then it's hell......so she takes her meds if I have wrap her up in duct tape and funnel them in....:balloons: