PDA

View Full Version : New format slow or is it me?

stitchwitch
10-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Not sure if it's on my end or from the new format change here but load up times are killing me. Is anyone else experiencing this or do I need to do an overhaul to see what is slowing my computer down? :???: The only reason I'm asking is because my wireless computer connection and my hardwire are both slow on this site only. :hair:

brendajos
10-26-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't notice it really. Maybe for some of the graphics but it is very minimal. The place I DO notice a slow connection is when I am in ravelry groups and want to scroll down to the most recent... takes forevah (it feels like) for the pages to load completely so I can scroll. :wall:

But no, I don't really notice anything here.

Nobones
10-26-2007, 04:29 PM
It's slow for me but my computer is 10 years old and can't really cope with much. It just means I'll be on even longer waiting for the page to load. That's o.k, I've Mike trained to do the housework!

debinoz
10-26-2007, 04:43 PM
I think it's a little slower. And the side to side scrolling is really annoying. (I didn't see anyone else complaining about that so maybe it's just me)

cheley
10-26-2007, 04:46 PM
I think it's a little slower. And the side to side scrolling is really annoying. (I didn't see anyone else complaining about that so maybe it's just me) Nope, not just you, me too!!!! But overall the new site looks awesome.....:hug:

Jan in CA
10-26-2007, 04:50 PM
I've noticed a little slowness myself. Go to the bug report and report it.

stitchwitch
10-26-2007, 05:14 PM
I've noticed a little slowness myself. Go to the bug report and report it.

I don't have the guts to.:roflhard: I hate to be pegged as a whiner. :hiding: It's kind of like griping about a gift.

sheldon
10-26-2007, 05:54 PM
The new site should weigh a bit lighter than the old site. It may take a while for your browsers cache to pick up all the new files, etc.

I am working on optimizing some of the code. The forum tends to be the slowest area of the site as it has a lot of extra coding (not to mention larger pages). I would suspect the rest of the site is quite zoomy for most people. Give me a few days to tune things up a bit.

Also, I do find the site a little slower on IE6 and IE7 when compared to Firefox. Like Ravelry, this site is best viewed in Firefox.

Scrolling side to side...My only suggestion there is to make sure your browser is open fully and that you're running in a screen resolution of at least 800 x 600. The site is optimally viewed in a resolution of 1024 x 768 which is the native resolution for 17" and 19" monitors. The content area of the page does squeeze into 800 x 600 resolution the defacto for 14" and 15" monitors but it a bit tight and your mileage may vary.

Quiltlady
10-26-2007, 06:12 PM
I find the orchid color borders hurt my eyes. I love the color but not used in this way. :aww: I haven't noticed anything being slower tho.

Marj
10-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Hi Quiltlady,

You can change the color. Just go to the very top of the page you should see 4 small colored squares, pick one. The blue one might work better for you. They are all pretty bright though.

Eventually Sheldon will be adding more colors and you will be able too find one that works best for you.

sheldon
10-26-2007, 07:13 PM
I find the orchid color borders hurt my eyes. I love the color but not used in this way. :aww: I haven't noticed anything being slower tho.

The new site has themes so if one color doesn't do it for you you can try one of the other three varieties. Click on the colored circles near the top of the page.

auburnchick
10-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Oh, the colors are so pretty!!! Nice and bright...makes me smile. :)

Arielluria
10-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Same speed here on my end. I tell you though............I'm not loving the purple........
:eyes:

Jan in CA
10-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Same speed here on my end. I tell you though............I'm not loving the purple........
:eyes:

So change the color. The dots at the top change the theme.

Arielluria
10-28-2007, 02:10 PM
So change the color. The dots at the top change the theme.THANKS! Didn't realize I could!

debinoz
10-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Changed my screen to 10whatever x whatever and it fits now, but it's reeaally small. I keep changing my color, but as soon as I change pages it changes back... I'm going to try clearing everything out to see if that makes a difference.

Jan in CA
10-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Changed my screen to 10whatever x whatever and it fits now, but it's reeaally small. I keep changing my color, but as soon as I change pages it changes back... I'm going to try clearing everything out to see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't work please go to the bug page and fill out the form. That is the easiest way for Sheldon to keep track of problems. Things get lost in the forum too easily. If you can't find the link it's in my sig.;)

debinoz
10-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Jan. Clearing my cookie and re-signing in worked for the color. As for the side scrolling, I've already reported it.

suzeeq
10-28-2007, 10:32 PM
My colors didn't stay changed for about a day or so, now they're behaving. But to get back to the topic... yeah, it's a bit slower. Maybe we're using it more - there seem to be more posts.