PDA

View Full Version : Brother Knitters

Knitting_Guy
10-27-2007, 12:07 AM
I parked my rig in a truckstop in SD for the night and walked over to the little bar next door to enjoy a couple of adult beverages before turning in for the night.

The place turned out to be a pretty happening spot and was fairly busy the whole time I was there. Naturally I took my backpack with me and was knitting a bit while enjoying my adult beverages.

One guy, a fellow trucker, sat down on the stool on my right and asked what I was making. I told him and he proceeded to tell me tht he knew how to crochet but could never figure out knitting. I showed him how to do a knit and a purl and encouraged him to give it a try.

A little while later a couple sat down on my left and the woman told me that her two brothers were both knitters but she had never learned herself.

I thought that was pretty cool that her brothers were knitters. It just reaffirms for me that there are a lot more guys out there who are into the yarn arts than most people are aware of.

Earlier today I was sitting in a truckstop waiting for my breakfast and a waitress came and sat down at my table and told me that she does crochet but had never figured out knitting.

She said that she was left handed and none of the knitting books explained it so that she could understand it left handed. I naturally encouraged her to check out KH and to watch Amy's wonderful videos and to give it a try. I also showed her the knit and purl sticthes and told her to just practice them until she felt comfortable doing them.

I'd really like to see more guys out here KIP. I think a lot of them are just not quite secure enough to do so. I know they are out there and frankly I'm getting a little tired of people telling me that I am the first guy they've ever seen knitting.

Come on guys, get out there and let people see you knitting.

DianaM
10-27-2007, 12:16 AM
*waves from Rapid City*

You're spreading the madness Mason ^___^

Lady Violet
10-27-2007, 12:19 AM
well said.
Mason, i think you have a manifesto going there. :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
10-27-2007, 12:22 AM
well said.
Mason, i think you have a manifesto going there. :thumbsup:

Nah, I just enjoy the occasional adult beverage.

jennylozano
10-27-2007, 02:07 AM
I actually have the same wish... :rofl:

boyforpele13
10-27-2007, 03:19 AM
how awesome is it that not only did you run into a fellow guy fiber crafter, but at a bar no less!!!! i am envious, as I KIP as much as time allows and have yet to meet a guy knitter in person, aside from 2 employees of a LYS that is kinda far away, so I've never knit with either of them. :( maybe I'm just KIP'ing in the wrong places! ;-)

i do totally agree there are more of us than people realize, but like you said, some are just not secure enough and are still "closet knitters," and I also repeatedly and frequently get the "first guy knitting" thing and you're right about that getting old too! some of the ladies are really funny, though, i must say. I had one woman come into the LYS where I was working that day and just couldn't stop marveling at me knitting, she'd be shopping and then look over at me and make some kind of exclamation or giggle, it was rather amusing. :)

gingerbread
10-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Again Mason you have sprend the world of knitting to others. :cheering:

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-27-2007, 11:25 AM
The next time you run across a left handed person.. just tell them to make their life easier to learn how to knit RIGHT HANDED.. 'most all directions' are shown for right handed knitting, and both hands have to work together anyway.

I just tell all the 'lefties' that it feels a little awkward for everyone.. no matter what hand is your dominant hand-- and it's worth it to not have to reverse amost everything in the future to just learn it right handed. :D
Keep knitting. :D

cindycactus
10-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Mason, you are becoming the "Pied Piper" of male knitters. You don't see them because they are lined up behind you. As you move on they take up their knitting and are passing it on to other males. Soon there will be hundreds, no millions.:roflhard: Good for you!:cheering:

Jan in CA
10-27-2007, 02:32 PM
:thumbsup: I agree, there are a lot more male knitters than we actually "see". I went to social knitting last night at my LYS and there was a guy there I hadn't seen before knitting away on a cabled scarf. The guy who usually knits was absent last night though. A few weeks ago a kid came in who was 13 and he had just finished his first hat and was looking for yarn for a sweater.

I wish I could see what these people do after you talk to them...see if they pick it up again, learn how, get braver.. ;)

HamaLee
10-27-2007, 03:05 PM
enjoy a couple of adult beverages before turning in for the night.

:hmm: You found a bar that serves prune juice?
:teehee:

....What? Somebody has to do Mason's job and interject the non-sequitor in his threads.:out:

:roflhard: :rofl:

Jan in CA
10-27-2007, 10:49 PM

Knitting_Guy
10-27-2007, 11:08 PM

....What? Somebody has to do Mason's job and interject the non-sequitor in his threads.:out:

:roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
10-27-2007, 11:10 PM
I was knitting in an Appleby's tonight and an older couple sat down next to me. The lady had hardly hit her seat before she asked what I was making. It turns out she's a very experienced knitter. Naturally I told her about KH. She wrote it down so I am sure she'll be visiting us.

Dangles
10-28-2007, 12:59 AM

:roflhard:

MMario
10-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I know what you mean, Mason. I KIP, and am surprised at the number of guys who tell me they knit or crochet but then add "But I'd never have the guts to do it in public" or something along those lines. Guys need to KIP!

beckyrhae
10-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Mason, I think its great you are spreading the word!

Have you ever seen (or heard rather) David Reidy's Sticks and String pod cast? He recently picked knitting back up, he is a natural and his pod casts are very cool. Its interesting to hear it from a male perspective.

http://sticksandstring.org/

Knitting_Guy
10-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Mason, I think its great you are spreading the word!

Have you ever seen (or heard rather) David Reidy's Sticks and String pod cast? He recently picked knitting back up, he is a natural and his pod casts are very cool. Its interesting to hear it from a male perspective.

http://sticksandstring.org/

No, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Jeremy
10-31-2007, 11:40 PM
I knit in public all the time, its how I can stand going shopping with my wife :) Another guy and I teach knitting at my lys.

Knitting_Guy
10-31-2007, 11:57 PM
I knit in public all the time, its how I can stand going shopping with my wife :) Another guy and I teach knitting at my lys.

Good man! :thumbsup:

Rorshach
11-01-2007, 03:30 AM
I, too, knit in public whenever I get the chance. When I first started to KIP, I was extremely aware of all eyes on me, very nerve racking, I can tell ya. But after a while I learned to ignore it. A few years ago while I was working for Dell, one of my co-workers had told me that he wouldn't be caught dead knitting. I had replied to him, "Not man enough for it, eh?" About two weeks later, just to prove me wrong, he showed up with HIS knitting. Though, he didn't prove me wrong, he proved me right. Funny thing is, he is still knitting today.

One thing I've noticed is that while it is not YET embraced as something that is "manly" to do, more and more guys are starting to do more needlecraft. Which personally, I think is great.

CountryKitty
11-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Back when I was right out of High School I worked in a restaurant, I would knit and crotchet during my break. Several times, men who came in regularly for coffee or a meal mentioned that they had knew how to handle yarn and hook or needles. Pity they didn't bring it with, I'd've swapped stitches and patterns with them.

What's odd about men avoiding KIP is that, once upon a time, knitting was MAN's work (like, for several hundred years throughout the Middle Ages). Back when weaving looms were such simple affairs that not enough woven cloth could be turned out to clothe the populace, knitting was such a necessity that Knitting Guilds only permitted a man to become a Master Knitter/ Guild Member after several years apprenticeship, a period of time as a journeyman, and the successful production of several large pieces showing sufficient skill and quality to meet Guild Standards. Women were expected to simply spin the yarn, and only the widow of a Master Knitter was ever allowed to join.

Glad to know there are a few guys here who ARE man enough to KIP, God luv ya'!

The.Knitter
11-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I see nothing unmanly in males knitting and/or KIP. I think it's great. Why should the women get all the glory when someone says "ohhhh, did YOU make that yourself?" From the sounds of most of the male knitters in here, you are much more skilled than I am, and I have been knitting for 27 years. My hat is off to you guys, keep up the good work!

iwfinley
11-07-2007, 09:04 PM
It's funny -- I hadn't seen this thread until tonight, but my 9 year old son always watches me knit and rather timidly asked if I would teach him, which his father, my DH, cringes at (he's rather conservative and was raised in a "strict" military family). So, this evening we made a trip to the library for reading materials and I looked for books for knitting for kids and found one I think would be good for him. Then we were together in the adult section (think grown up not XXX) and I was looking at knitting books and I found one called "Knitting with Balls" or something along those lines -- a book by a male knitter directed to men who knit and showed it to my son who thought it was humorous. . . . .

My main point for this thread though, is that you guys definitely solidified my resolve to teach the kid how to knit. He's very mathematical and will enjoy the patterns, rows, etc. and he's very good with color selection - I have often sought his advice!!!! So keeping on KIP and I'm bringing in a new one to the fold. . . . I think we'll start tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes!

iwfinley
11-08-2007, 08:00 AM
I had my first "lesson" with my 9 year old last night! There were points where he was really frustrated, but by the time I made him go to bed, he had casted on and done the knit stitch for 2 rows!!!! He was frustrated that they weren't "perfect" rows, but 2 rows nonetheless!!!! We're going to do some more later today after school and extracurriculars!

CountryKitty
11-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Good for you and him! When he gets frustrated, tell him it took practice for you--and anyone else who knits--to do it well and smoothly. and remind him that in just one lesson, he learned how to do the main stitch--a lot of people never do learn.