PDA

View Full Version : I took my ACT today

MaleKnitter
10-28-2007, 01:55 AM
UGH, I finally took the ACT test today (a standardized examination for college admitions... test... thingy)
I have been dreading it for weeks. I had to wake up at 5:00 this morning so that my friend and I could go to Orem, Utah (a city that is just over an hour drive away from where I live) to take the test at 8:00 A.M. I was glad to see 5 of my other class mates though. (I go to a TINY high school, there are only 116 students in grades 7th through 12th, there are 21 in my class)
I feel bad for my friend who I went with though. she was dismissed from the test because her cell phone went off about a half-hour in (it was apparently turned off, but some phones STILL ring when they're off "or so I have heard") They made her leave AND they didnt score her test!!!
I don't have a cell phone, my town doesnt get service from any businesses because of the mountains that surround us. If you want to make a call, you have to drive just outside of the city limits and you MIGHT get service. And since I hardly leave my home (i am too busy knitting) I don't see a big need to have a cell phone.
oh well, she is in the grade below me, so she has a lot more time to re-take the test.
I have spent the last week after school studying with the math teacher for the math portion of the test (which I think I did pretty well on ;) ) but i never even realized how difficult the science part would be. Usually science is REALLY easy for me, but there were things on there that I have never even heard of (and I got a A- average last year in Chemistry)I started to read the questions and was like :chair:
Yeah, I am only sure that I got 2 questions right on that section (give or take)

But Anyway

I'm just soooo glad it's OVER :woohoo:

brendajos
10-28-2007, 03:33 AM
wow... i remember taking mine too, about 500 years ago. The session I was in, was almost entirely made up of my classmates which the proctor clearly didn't enjoy because he was patrolling the room like we were all cheating...lol. I have never been a math student of any sort and that was my weakest section of the test. I actually remember my ACT score too... I did aiight. ;)
I am sure you did great! I think waiting for the score was harder than the test itself! :nails:

Lady Violet
10-28-2007, 01:09 PM
wonderful relief! you can breathe now. :teehee:
i remember taking that thing. a lot of the questions were things i had never heard of, too. i think i pretty much had the same reaction you did. my take was, if it hadn't been taught to me in school, it must not be that important and it DEFINITELY wasn't my fault that i didn't know it.
i went to a small school, too, although it wasn't as small as yours. there were 44 in my graduating class, and just under 200 in my high scool. i had to take the ACT quite a ways from where i live. it was literally out in the middle of nowhere. crazy.

Songbirdy
10-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Oh I remember that too...

:yay: Yay! You're done! :)

Kels Joy.
10-28-2007, 04:32 PM
yayyy, its overrrr!!
my DBF took the ACT yesterday.
thank god it's over, was his reaction lol. and i have to take mine next year... :wall:

madametj
10-28-2007, 04:44 PM
i just took mine today too! it was just like an ITBS test we used to take in elementary school, except this time the scores matter so it was fustrating. i ran out of time on the math and reading tests ~sigh~ at least i filled in my Letter of the Day so i should get some of the problems right. my parents are counting on a scholarship, so hopefully my score reflects that. if not i can always take it again in the spring!

Jan in CA
10-28-2007, 08:52 PM
My daughters only took the SAT. What is the ACT for?

HeatherFeather
10-28-2007, 09:12 PM
I took the ACT as well, and from what I remember, it was for the Liberal Arts colleges (which I attended), where as the SAT is more for the Science Colleges...(BA vs. BS degrees), am I right?

Jan in CA
10-28-2007, 09:58 PM
My daughters went to University of California San Diego (UCSD) and California State University Fullerton (CSUF). They offer both degrees so I don't know. :shrug:

brendajos
10-28-2007, 10:07 PM
I think it has more to do with location. Where I went to school nobody took SATs... they weren't even offered.

MaleKnitter
10-28-2007, 10:10 PM
The ACT test and the SAT test are very similar, it depends on the college you want to go to. My teacher told me that if you wanted to go to a college on the Eastern part of america that you should probably take the SAT (because that is what most Eastern college look at when they accept you)
But if you are more interested in going to a college in the Western part of America then you would want to take the ACT (that's what the Western colleges normally look at) I am sure there are a few more factors that go into which test you should take, but I just know that I intend to go to the University of Utah and THEY look at your ACT scores.

LoAnnie
10-29-2007, 11:56 AM
It's definitely about where you want to go to college. All the Ivy League schools require the SAT. I live in the south and went to a state school which required the ACT. Also I got a Science degree BS in ChemE. Wow, that was a long time ago.

LoAnnie

Sharly
10-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Best of luck to those of you waiting for scores - please update this thread when you get your results!!

MellieThePooh
10-31-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah, the ACT v. SAT thing is a regional difference. For the record, the men do better on the SAT and women do better on the ACT. I took both. The ACT was fine, but the SAT almost killed me (literally...it snowed 6" the night before and I was a panicked l'il teenager scared she was gonna miss her test, and whoops!). Can't even remember my SAT score, it probably wasn't good because I was stressed out...

jess_hawk
11-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Good luck on your score!

My school takes ACT scores and I was SO happy I didn't have to take the SAT, and I do really well on standardized tests. The SAT sounded very scary though.
For me, the worst part of the ACT was waking up early on a Saturday. I knew I would do well because I always do well on standardized tests, and we have a program where you can take a test that if I remember right is actually the ACT, its just given through an affiliate program (you even go in and take it on the same day, with all the same rules, and in the same rooms as the people taking the ACT, which was scary at the time) as a younger student in grade 5, 6, 7, and/or 8. I took it as an 8th grader and got a better score than my mom got when she was a senior in high school.

Of course, I also have a friend who took the ACT as a soph and got a 35. So whenever people start carrying on about me being smart, I first point out that its simply a matter of my being very good at taking standardized tests, which to my knowledge is not a marketable skill... and then I point out that I still did much worse than she did.

MaleKnitter
11-04-2007, 12:50 AM
My stepmother and I were talking about the tests. She said that she took both the ACT and the SAT when she was my age. I asked her what score she got on them. She couldnt remember at first and then eventually she recalled her SAT score and very casually said that she got a 1500 on the SAT!!!!! isn't that REALLY good? If I took the SAT and got a 1500 I don't think that I could ever forget so easily. Needless to say, I was very impressed.

but I always score VERY well on standardized tests. I think it makes up for the fact that there are 'A-'s and 'B's on my report card(unlike some kids in my class who FREAK OUT if they get anything lower than a 96% in any class). But last year I sure showed them. We took the high school state standardized tests and I got the highest scores in my school :woot: (sorry, I really don't want to brag but I was so proud of myself...) even though there are only 116 students in my school (it would be more impressive if my school had 2000 kids), I was still very happy.

MaleKnitter
12-02-2007, 04:21 AM
Okay, I got my score finally
My composite score for the ACT was 26

The scores for each section went
English: 27
Math: 24
Reading: 30
Science: 21

I am pleased with my score. I might take it again, but probably not.
The other students from my school who took the test on the same day as I did (I'm bragging just so you know) got scores of
:cool: tee hee, im proud of myself. I'm allowed to be a little big-headed... right?

brendajos
12-02-2007, 09:37 AM
lol you absolutely should be proud of that score! Congratulations!

dustinac
12-02-2007, 11:10 AM
:thumbsup: Congrats!!!

Jan in CA
12-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Congratulations!

I was asking earlier in this thread about who takes that test since I knew of no one here who did. I found a map that explains it pretty well. Very interesting!

Knitting_Guy
12-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Interesting map. I took both. I attended college in OH and they wanted the SAT, although at a later OH university they looked at the ACT as well as my records from the first college.

1500 is actually about average for the SAT. Many of the top schools won't even consider your application if you scored below 2100. 2400 is a perfect score.

inkaholic
12-03-2007, 02:08 AM
I took the SATs last year and basically everything I've seen is that if you break 2000, you're good. 500 on each section is average. A lot of my friends took the ACT because they heard it was "easier" and if you take it, you don't need to take SAT subject tests for some schools. I don't know, I was perfectly happy with my SAT score, and because I hadn't had a proper science teacher in a while I was leery of taking the ACT. Actually, more than happy with my SAT score, though there were some grade grinds in my class who were pissed that I didn't take a prep class or open a study book and still scored higher than them on reading/verbal. (I am awful at math.)Looking back most of my class did very well. In fact, a guy in my class was a finalist for the National Merit scholarships--he scored a 2360 out of 2400. That's just crazy. I feel like I would've done even better on the SAT had it been shorter, or the testing conditions better (the school I took it in shut off the water fountains and locked the bathrooms............and of course I forgot my water bottle and was unbearably thirsty the whole time.)

kbagel
12-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Apparently, there's some sort of scale on the SAT test. I don't 100% understand it but theres a scale of 1600 and a scale of 2400. I think it may correlate to subject area tests.

I took both the ACT and the SAT. I think both are a waste of time. Thankfully, I'm good at standardized tests and did extremely well on both of them.

MaleKnitter
12-03-2007, 07:06 PM
"What constitutes fairly well? Until recently, a 1600 was a perfect score. That meant you received an 800 in the math section and an 800 in the verbal section. That is no longer the case.

The College Board has redone the test, adding a writing section to it, and the highest score is now a 2400. Still very much achievable, but a little more daunting. Let's dissect the new requirements."

I looked it up...
I shall continue to be impressed with my stepmother's score because she took the test several years ago when a 1600 was the highest score one could get. So, a 1500 is about a 94%

Knitting_Guy
12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
"What constitutes fairly well? Until recently, a 1600 was a perfect score. That meant you received an 800 in the math section and an 800 in the verbal section. That is no longer the case.

The College Board has redone the test, adding a writing section to it, and the highest score is now a 2400. Still very much achievable, but a little more daunting. Let's dissect the new requirements."

I looked it up...
I shall continue to be impressed with my stepmother's score because she took the test several years ago when a 1600 was the highest score one could get. So, a 1500 is about a 94%

It's true that the scoring has changed several times over the years. I took the SAT in 1981 and scored well into the 90th percentile. Your stepmother's score is also inside that percentile if she took the test prior to 2005.

inkaholic
12-03-2007, 09:34 PM
To clear up what I said about subject tests and the ACT:
It used to be that colleges would require the SAT and two SAT 2s, usually at least one in writing. Now that the regular SAT includes writing, there is no longer another test offered on it in the SATs (and they changed "SAT IIs" to "SAT Subject Tests".) If you take the ACT with writing in lieu of the SAT, colleges will usually waive the Subject test requirement, because the ACT has science, whereas the SAT doesn't.