PDA

View Full Version : I had the scare of my life today...


kym
10-30-2007, 12:14 AM
My dog ate a Silica Gel packet. Of course being the emotional wreck that I am I started freaking out. I called the vet and they had me give her hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit. Let me tell you it works in MINUTES. Poor girl dry heaved for 10 minutes after spilling her guts. After about 30 minutes though she could not eat enough. She drank a ton of water took a long nap and is now back to looking for other hazardous things to eat. I swear this dog is a friggin' vacuum cleaner. I feel like such a bad dog mom for not seeing the packet and picking it up. What a frustrating day!

Jen17
10-30-2007, 12:36 AM
Ahhh, I feel for you Kim, that must have been very scarey! Did you just happend to have the hydrogen perxiode on hand!!?? Well I'm glad your doggy is feeling better and don't worry you are not a bad mom!
P.S. Congrat's on the weight loss you're doing great! I lost 77 lbs. on WW 3 years ago and feel great! Keep up the good work!
Jen

GiddyKnitter
10-30-2007, 04:18 AM
Hi Kym
Your not a bad dog mum... dogs are just like children they pick anything up and eat it .. believe me I should know!!!

AngMac
10-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Awww.... how scary. :hug: Glad that there was an easy fix that you could do and not have to take your poor dog to the Emergency Vet. You aren't a bad Mom, dogs get into things even if we do put them away, well at least mine do. :)

kym
10-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I was up all night making sure she was ok. It was very scary for me. I feel like she's my first child. I've never raised a dog before.

Jen17 - I love WW they're so supportive and its so easy I don't even feel like I'm on a "diet" I haven't updated my ticker I lost another 2lbs last week!

Leeseebat
10-30-2007, 04:24 PM
aw don't feel bad! you called the vet and took care of your dog thats alot more then some people would of done...
yesterday my 11 month old puppy jumped out of the recliner to run after our other dog and cut right under his eye on the corner of the coffee table...and i was standing next to the coffee table.
these things happen!

glad your baby is feeling better!

KnitClickChick
10-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Don't feel bad, accidents happen! I am glad your baby is all better. I have cats, and a few years ago, we were grilling/eating out on the back porch. The cats love to go out there and sit, but since we had the grill going didn't want them out near it. Our oldest male snuck out when my boyfriend was coming out, and didn't realize the cat was coming out too. Something made the cat turn to run back in almost as soon as he was out, and what awful timing.... just as my boyfriend was shutting the door, was when the cat ran in and his tail got stuck in the door. It was pretty nasty, about 2 inches of his tail got stripped off. Literally stripped... I won't go into detail. The vet said it happens a lot, the cats are so fast that sometimes you just don't realize they are right there until it is too late. Kitty is fine now, I like to call him Stumpy. It is really scary when a pet gets injured.

JessicaR
10-30-2007, 08:13 PM
A few Easters ago our girl dog knocked over a jar of Hershey kisses and devoured them. We had to do the hydrogen peroxide thing too :ick:

kym
10-30-2007, 08:53 PM
You guys def made me feel a lot better. She seems to be doing just fine now. My sister had a chocolate incident a few years ago her dog ate 3 hershey bars. I'm just going to have to be careful when I open things to make sure those little packets get thrown away.

kym
10-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Here's a picture of my girl. Her name is Reilly

http://bp0.blogger.com/_Ug2kqNpUj54/Rx5KIIpk0ZI/AAAAAAAAAE8/E9s4uVV67mE/s320/sleepingdog.jpg
http://bp3.blogger.com/_Ug2kqNpUj54/Rx5H34pk0YI/AAAAAAAAAE0/T8YnDrWnZlQ/s320/100_1049.JPG

Dangles
10-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Sorry to hear about Reilly. She's so cute.

psammeadred
11-01-2007, 09:00 AM
What a cute little ball of trouble! :)

A couple of years ago, my dog had some cancerous tumors removed from her tummy. We'd just gotten her home, and she was doing pretty well. Then the cat ate her pain pills - another trip back to the vet. They're both fine now, though.

dustinac
11-01-2007, 09:13 AM
ohh how cute!! glad to read she is feeling better...I have to watch mine cause he loves cat food... but it hurts belly...they are sneaky little things:teehee: