PDA

View Full Version : Any Wood Carvers Here?

Sharly
10-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Just wondered if there is anyone here who could give me a little advice. Hubby has expressed an interest in woodcarving, and since he has been known to build me some beautiful furniture, I wouldn't mind his adding that skill to his repertoire :)

I have found a book on amazon that I plan to order him for Christmas, but in looking at the tools, I'm at a loss as to what to get. First of all, I'm a cheapskate at heart, and secondly, I don't know if it's something that he will fall in love with, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on the tools. Does anyone have any reccomendations of a nice little inexpensive set that would have some quality to it and be suitable for a beginner/possibly non-starter? :shrug:

Jan in CA
10-30-2007, 07:12 PM
My DH has done a lot of woodcarving so if you can wait till tomorrow night or Thursday I can have an answer for you. He's off lobster fishing for a few days. :teehee:

I found a few photos of ducks he carved.

wildforyarn
10-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Wow Jan, tell you DH he is quite talented. Those ducks are soo cool!

Knitting_Guy
10-31-2007, 12:25 AM
i've done a bit of carving myself (sorry, no pics) but I can tell you that

A: it doesn't require a huge assortment of tools

and

B: What tools you do buy - you get what you pay for.

Sharly
10-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Jan! Wow! Those are really awesome!! My first instinct was to forward that to Hubby, but that would tip my hand on the surprise!! What great work! And, I can definitely wait until you can talk to him. What I really need to know is what are the middle of line tools - I saw a set for $10 or so, and I'm sure they would probably be a waste of money, but can I get something for $75 or less that would be good for a beginner?

Mason! Thanks for your input! I wish you had some pictures to share - if it's anything like your knitting, I know we would be impressed!

I think his interests would lie more in the architectural type carving, like details on furniture and such. He recently built a mantle for our fireplace and I think he really wanted to be able to add a carving to it. (Though, I think it's awesome like it is - I tend to like a more simple style). He had a mentor when he was a kid that did carving and I think he would like to learn as a kind of homage to Mr. R., who was more a father figure to him than his own father was.

Thanks again for your responses! This is the best place to find information on any topic!!

Jan in CA
10-31-2007, 01:18 PM
DH will be home tonite (barring complications) so I will ask him when he gets home.

He's also done work on furniture, but since I tend to like simplicity it's more of the simple variety. ;) I don't think I have pictures of that...have to check.

debinoz
10-31-2007, 01:45 PM
I went through a wood carving stage.... it's been a while and my tools are long gone now. I think the company I got them from even went out of business. They were from Germany and their name started with an "L", that all I remember. They did look like the sets in the first and third pics in this link. Also you have to consider which type of carving he wants to do to get the right tools.
http://www.chippingaway.com/WoodCarving/BeginnerCarvingTools/BasicandDetailCarvingTools.htm

Sharly
10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi Jan - I can certainly wait until you get a chance to talk to him! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you run across pics of the furniture carving, I would love to see!

Deb - Thanks so much for the information - see? I didn't even know the tools depended on what type of carving you want to do...I guess it would be like trying to crochet with a knitting needle, huh? :teehee:

Sharly
10-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Jan - one more thing...would you show him this book (http://www.amazon.com/How-Carve-Wood-Techniques-Woodworking/dp/0918804205/ref=sr_1_24/103-6758675-1124615?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193775023&sr=1-24)and ask him what he thinks of it for a beginner? I tried to read the reveiws and this one seeemed suitable to me, but I would love his opinion!

Jan in CA
10-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Will do! :thumbsup:

Sharly
10-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for being so helpful!!

Jan in CA
11-01-2007, 03:13 PM
I asked DH what he thought and first of all he said that the book looks very good! Go for it!

As for tools he said it does depend on the kind of carving he wants to do and you do get what you pay for. Good steel is expensive, but it makes a big difference. Maybe if you get him the book and let him see what he'd like to do then get him some tools. An GC or or maybe an IOU included with it for the tools?

I asked what his favorite brands of tools are ...

Taylor - He said these are excellent, they are made well and hold an edge well.
These are also good ones he likes -
Seit
Marples

Any other questions just ask!

Sharly
11-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Wow!! <gushing> Thanks so much!! That is such a help as I am just floundering around out here! :) I really appreciate the confirmation on the book and will definitely get it!! I'll take a look at the brand tools your hubby mentioned, too and see if I feel comfortable making a decision on those, and if not, I'll go with the IOU route!!

Thanks again for you and your hubby's help!! This gift will actually be a surprise to him, and just this morning he was saying how much he enjoys learning new skills:)